**ANNOUNCEMENT** Genio - The Haiku IDE

Sure! We hope that too! Just to clarify, there is no competition at all between Koder and Genio. We are really keen to work together!

Many thanks!

It is perfectly possible to implement LSP in an editor. I think Vim and YouCompleteMe are a good proof of that.
But let’s take the following example.
Clangd needs a compilation database to compile the source files, i.e. a list of the flags to pass to clang for each file that are part of a project.
If a source file, let’s say src/project/ProjectFolder.cpp, is opened in Koder, it would not know where the compilation database is located. It may also not exist and Koder would not know how to generate it.
Also, it does not know where the root folder of the project (usually where the db is), we also need to pass that too.
We’d need to generate it outside of the editor and locate it manually, then Koder would pass it to clangd.
An IDE would know where it is and how to generate it, instead. The whole process would be much more seamless and automated.
That is exactly what I mean by “knowledge of the project”.

To summarize, you are correct. LSP can be done solely in an editor but not without manual steps to configure the environment. A thing that an IDE already does by design.

4 Likes

I didn’t assume there is, after all these projects have different scope. :slight_smile: It’s just that such sharing is only possible if some care is taken to make the editor features modular and independent. (As opposed to, for example, having one big Editor class where you take everything or nothing, or copy some parts and then modify them and then it all diverges in slightly incompatible ways and you track down similar bugs independently…)

1 Like

This was mainly for the broader audience, we are already on the same page @KapiX! :wink:

I personally haven’t looked at the editor thoroughly, Andrea is leading that area. My feeling is that there is work to do on the editor side to bring Genio on par with Koder which is very well engineered.

Here’s to a bright and happy coding future! :grinning:

3 Likes

Nice that you will support LSP, any plans for DAP? Would be nice to have an integrated debugger.

Not exactly top of mind at the moment. We really hope to get some help from other developers to adapt Debugger and get it cooperate with an IDE/editor.
It would be great to be able to step through the code and manage breakpoints within Genio.

8 Likes

Things to borrow from?

https://github.com/atom/atom/tree/master/packages/one-dark-syntax
https://github.com/atom/atom/tree/master/packages/one-light-syntax
https://github.com/mozilla/Fira

Looking forward to your upcoming releases! :+1:

1 Like

VScode is open source under MIT license, maybe look at it before going to far.

VScode is based on Chromium,which doesn’t work on Haiku.
It’s built with web technology and wouldn’t integrate nicely with the Haiku UI,even if it worked.
It’s by no means a native application.
It’s bloated,runs slow on older machines and sends telemetry to Microsoft.

Even if it worked on Haiku,I’d rather write my code in notepad.exe than in VScode,but I really appreciate that someone tries to make coding on Haiku more fun now.(But Koder and Pe are a great improvement over notepad.exe already,that was only to show how much I like VScode)

4 Likes

you should look at the whole stack, and dismissing something over potentially irrational dislike of a company is silly.

there’s a lot of great code and tools tight there to make use of.

It’s not only because I dislike Microsoft,it’s because it simply won’t work.
Again,VScode is based on Chromium,and that doesn’t work here.
It partially does within QtWebEngine,but it crashes often and nobody found out why.
Chromium offers zero upstream support for anything but Windows,Linux and MacOS,so we’d have to maintain huge patchsets permanently,just like the BSDs do.
I guess it’s even more likely to get Firefox working someday than Chromium.

And besides that,yes,I do strongly dislike VScode,because it’s not an actual application,but a webpage that brings its own rendering engine.
I have no problem with non-native ports like Qt or GTK,Haiku wouldn’t be usable without them,but webpages packaged as applications is something I really can’t stand and avoid on the BSDs,and I really don’t want to have to deal with that on Haiku.

8 Likes

Finally, a real IDE.
As a newcomer, I first saw Paladin and wondered if this /is/ an integrated development env.
Genio is so different and looks very promising.
Autocomplete, jump to definition are so much needed features.
I love to test and maybe contribute to it.

4 Likes

We already pushed a couple of small enhancements to the main branch, please have a look and let us know. Most notably:

• Editor zoom in/out
  • hyperlinks on compiler errors in the Build Log tab
4 Likes

Thanks for this news, I tested zoom (alt-+/-/0) and the hyperlinks - function and looks good.

By investigating your git repo I can’t help but make a few comments:

The experimental/lsp_client branchy be based (rebased) up on the master branch and keep based on it. So this branch can use the lastest code and is still experimental for the lsp.

Thanks for your feedback!
Sure we need to do some housekeeping but the lsp branch needs some feature being implemented in the project-folder branch, so it’s not a big deal for now

We finally merged the project-folders branch into main and made a few other changes.
If you want to test and experiment with the new features, any feedback is welcome!

This is a list of the major changes committed so far (from commit #479adf5 ahead):

• Updated to v0.2.0
  • Removed the old project management system (.idmpro)
  • Implemented the concept of Project Folder, i.e. a folder on file system.
  • Show in Tracker
  • Open Terminal pointing to the selected folder out of the source tree
  • “Find in files” early implementation through grep
  • Open files not supported by Genio (i.e. images, binary, etc.) with default application
  • Log class
  • Better and more consistent way of handling cut, copy and paste
  • Console I/O file matcher - File names or path can now be clicked and the file will be opened in the Editor.
    Line numbers are supported that allows to click on a compile error and open the file with cursor positioned on that line

For any other minor bug fixes and improvements, please see the commit log.

20 Likes

it would be nice to have a UML editor with a class and method generator in c++.

1 Like

There is Umbrello on HaikuDepot which has decent code generation capabilities.
Do we need to reinvent the wheel?
Genio can now open project folders out from the file system, in theory you can create your classes with Umbrello and work on the skeleton in Genio.

2 Likes

More to this, in theory you can now include an Umbrello model file in the project folder (and Git if you like) and double click on it directly from Genio to open Umbrello

code completion ? syntax tools ???

An idea of modular program have in Paladin “IDE”. I remeber a Daiku a IDE from Japan with GUI editor, where it’s now ??? You idea is brillient but you must TEST soft for memory leaks, new funcionals as welcome!!!