Recently. we have read many posts about IDEs for Haiku. We would like to tell you that myself, Andrea Anzani (aka @xeD) and a few others from the Italian community are actively working on a project called Genio. Hopefully, we’ll get Stefano Ceccherini (aka @jackburton) on board soon.
Genio is a fork of Ideam, a native IDE for Haiku by Alessandro Mosca (aka AmosCaster).
Why a fork?
AmosCaster has put the project on hold, he does not think to be able to coordinate the project or contribute significantly in the near future.
We have decided to fork Ideam in agreement with AmosCaster also because of the changes we would like to make to the IDE that diverge a bit from the original vision.
Genio is the Italian for Genius, a latin noun derived from the verb geno (“to generate,” “to create”), hence “natural producing force,” means that special natural aptitude apt to produce works of important artistic, scientific, ethical or social significance. In Roman religion the Genius is a spirit or, more correctly, a tutelary deity, regarded as the benevolent guardian of the fortunes of families but also of individuals.
Why a serpent?
According to the traditional latin iconography, a Genius was often represented as or along with a serpent. The majestic @zuMi has created this icon representing a cute friendly snake.
We have a number of goals for the evolution of Genio in the near future, these include:
- Workspace Manager and Project folders
- Language Server Protocol via clangd: autocompletion, jump to definition, and more
- Bring the editor up-to-date and on par with other Haiku editors (Koder, Pe)
- Plug-in architecture
- Compiler error parser
Genio is hosted here and is made of three branches:
- main - is functionally equivalent to the latest version of Ideam (v.0.7.9) at the time we forked it, except it is fully rebranded
- workspace - this is the branch where the development on the workspace manager and project folders happens
- experimental/lsp-client - this is the branch where the development of the Language Server Protocol and related features happens (e.g. autocompletion)
At the moment, we are not ready for prime time. We are working on a first subset of features like project folders and LSP.
We currently do not accept PRs as we are working on these two features but if you want to help and contribute, please reach out (bug fixes and small improvements, maybe?)
Ideam legacy and the current team make Genio a project 100% made in Italy which we are extremely proud of!