Would anyone work on Open Sum_it?

Hello.

Those who know me know that I always prefer native software.

While ports are important to nurture applications to the system, I consider that, for the amount of necessary resources and libraries, the native software is very important.

And among the applications that need some love Sum_it is the main one. (I am an accountant and work with Calligra right now)

Unfortunately, my skills as a developer are void so I write this message to see if there is someone interested.

I could help with translations or documentation but not with the code, after a while these are the characteristics that I think should be improved in this application. Hopefully one of you wants to assume the challenge.

• Include locale kit.
  • Documentation isnt included in the package.
  • Fix the 64 bits version. (Important)
  • Include compatibility with liborcus or other lib to import different spreadsheet documents.
  • Include compatibility to ODS format file.
  • Include Combine cells.

This is the 64 bits error: the cells doesn’t show data and the current cell have a non-beautiful black color…

screenshot14

3 Likes
6 Likes

Hi X512

I can’t compile using build.sh

What is the difference to this one?

This one you can install with HaikuDepot!

Btw.: Calligra does not start on my Haiku 64bit nightly?!

EDIT: Ah you made a fix for 64bit on your reprository!?

Freeze a lot and the screenshot issue (doesn’t show the cell data)

1 Like

That´s not correct. The HaikuPorts version (which is the one you install via pkgman / HaikuDepot) is built from the code at GitHub - keegnotrub/OpenSumIt: Sum-It is a native spreadsheet for BeOS. . (yet another opensumit repo)

1 Like

I think the first problem that needs to be adressed about OpenSumit is the messy build system. I´ve checked out the code from 3 different repos at GitHub, none of them builds. Only the patch at haikuports makes it compile, by modifying one of the Makefiles to rename a header file during build.

3 Likes

I got it to build from the fork(the publish branch) by @X512 but I had to cheat a bit. I installed the rez command from the Pe repository to ~/config/non-packaged/bin since I didn’t want to fight with fixing the copy in the Sum-It repo. Then I built and installed the bsl command from the Sum-It repo to ~/config/non-packaged/bin. Lastly, I had to cd sum-it/Resources && rc sum-it-types.rdef before running make from the sum-it directory.

5 Likes

“r1-ppc” in these logs looks to me like it’s trying to run a PowerPC build for BeOS R1.

I took a look at X512’s repository, and the file /sum-it/Build/Makefile.main sets its directories like this:
DEP_DIR := dep.$(BEOS_VERS)-$(CPU)-$(SUFFIX)

That CPU variable is assigned right before that in that file (lines 6 to 11), but it has been commented out to always assume x86, so I’m not sure how you can end up with PPC in the path like that.

4 Likes

I dont know What im doing wrong really heheheh

Most likely nothing. The code in all 3 repos I tried doesn’t compile without any modification. The patch used by haikuports fixes that (at least for the repo used in haikuports). Most of the problems are with building the rez utility used in building the main application. You can use the workaround that @Lrrr described to get around that.

1 Like

Isn’t rez utility already present in HaikuPorts as separate package?

Yes but it’s marked broken on x86_64. Haven’t looked into the exact reason why.

I think it is also pretty similar to rc and xres that everything else is using. So maybe sum-it could be migrated to those, to avoid having two tools for the same thing?

5 Likes

I dont know nothing about that but maybe we need an “Start point”

Compile without problems hehehe

And then contribute to improve and update the app to the new haiku era

And if i create a fork of the @X512 fork to concentrate works?

Or use the X512 git ?

What do u think?

You can contact the owners of the various forks and see who is really willing to adopt it. If no one wants to, maybe it can be hosted by HaikuArchives.

3 Likes

That would be the best solution in my opinion.

4 Likes

I’ve pushed a new version to HaikuDepot based on the fork by @X512. The background color of the currently selected cell is still black but at least you can see the data now.

3 Likes

Can someone post screenshot of 32 vs 64 bit version that demonstrate issue? Some 64 bit fixes may be still missing.

1 Like

It looks the same on 32 and 64 bit. I think he was just asking that the highlight color be more customizable. There is an option in the settings to “Lighten active cells indicator” which changes the color to a nicer/lighter gray.

1 Like