Word Processor for Haiku?

Try. Is that a useful thing?

No matter if it does or doesn’t though, it makes no difference. Constantly asking the developers for this office suite and that word processor is not going to get anywhere. The source code for Abiword both old and latest is freely available if you want to try compiling it. Personally I see that program as a non starter, it hasn’t improved or changed much in 20 years and I don’t see it improving any, “unless” more developers get involved in the project. Things have moved on considerably since Abiwords day and there is office suites coming out the walls, I think it would be preferable to choose one of those, one that is modern and would be the least path of resistance.
Yes an up to date Gobe Productive would be fantastic, but in reality it just isn’t going to happen, same as Open/Libre office, although they are so bloated that I don’t see any point in porting them to Haiku.
Maybe someone could repackage Joeffice for Haiku to make it a one click install, that would be nice for starters. I haven’t got the skills to do such a thing or I would, I still intend on trying to install it though and trying it out.

I tried Joeffice in Linux, unfortunately I could not open any of my documents.

1 Like

Unless I’ve got it wrong, a previous poster in this thread posted the Linux version does install and work in Haiku. I haven’t tried it yet as I don’t do much document work, I do on occasion though so will give it a whirl and see how it works.

Office package to the operating system is the core software, without which no operating system does not move to the professional level of using.
You heard that people with a little familiarity with the software do not distinguish MS Windows and MS Office? For them that is the same thing.

1 Like

You don’t need to wait for the OS to be finished. But, don’t count on the same developers working on both the OS and office suite (and web browser and …).
Even though an office suite is a complex product, it is a little simpler than an operating system. So it should be possible to gather a team of people to start working on it. I would love to see more 3rd-party developers on Haiku.

Regarding Abiword, even if the GUI can’t be reused directly (for stability problems), at least they had the nice idea to split out the file format management into separate libraries. This is at least one thing that don’t need to be re-done. Maybe these libraries could be converted into translators for Haiku, possibly allowing conversion from docx to pdf as a starting point? A small first step, but being able to do that would allow me to reboot to LibreOffice on a non-Haiku in many occasions.

2 Likes

Okay, even I’m not developer, yet…

How to get AbiWord native?

1. get AbiWord 2.8.6 source code,
  2. remove all not needed for Haiku staff,
  3. rewrite GUI to Haiku native,
  4. move work with file formats to Haiku translators,
  5. optimize all other staff by native rewrite if needed. Integrate fixes from newest Abiword.

Of course, some other staff is needed to complete work, some volunteers…

HWord is started?
HiWord?
Writer?

Some changes in AbiWord world:
http://www.abisource.com/viewvc/?sortby=date#dirlist
"abiword/ 35332 26 hours hub Move to Qt5"

I had a little time today to play with Joffice running on Haiku. So far, I’ve created a couple test documents that were saved in the .docx extension. I still have to dig out some of my documents that I created in Microsoft Office and OpenOffice. Heres a couple screenshots: if I can get them to display

file:///boot/home/screenshot1.png

Doesn’t look like I’m posting images properly. Can anyone tell me the proper way to get images to display. I’ve tried dragging image to post, and it fills the screen and I am unable to save. Dragging the images doesn’t seem to work either.

looks interesting. is it available?

Hi lelldorin,

Kim posted the image of running the linux version on Haiku, and it does require Java being installed on your system. I installed the Linux version from the Joeffice website. After I downloaded and unpacked it, I used the following command that Kim provided:

/boot/home/joeffice/bin/joeffice --nospacecheck

This brought up the installer. I unchecked the boxes to install links to the Application Menu, along with the desktop as I thought that might give the installer some problems. I created the links after the install was complete.

So far I haven’t had any issues using it. I downloaded an Excel .xslx document this morning from an automobile forum, and it had no problems opening it. I’m still in the process of seeing how usuable Joeffice will be.

dasouth i download the sh script (14MiB) put it does not run:

/boot/system/non-packaged/apps/joffice> /boot/system/non-packaged/apps/joffice/joeffice.sh
Configuring the installer...
Can`t get the number of the available blocks on the system

Can you exlaint the complete steps to do it?

Lelldorin

Hi lelldorin,

Download the Linux .sh script from Joeffice website

I ran the sh script from a folder named Downloads in my home directory

/boot/home/Downloads/joeffice.sh --nospacecheck

This created the .Joeffice installer folder in my home directory and started the Joeffice installer

During the install process, I let the installer create a Joeffice folder within my home directory (within this directory it creates folders named bin, etc, ide, Joeffice, platform and an uninstall.sh). Also during the install, I unselected letting the installer create links to the desktop and the Application menu.

Once the installer finished, I then ran the following:

/boot/home/Joeffice/bin/Joeffice

This started the Joeffice application and created the .joeffice folder within the home directory.

I then created links to my desktop and the Application menu to

/boot/home/Joeffice/bin/Joeffice

lelldorin,

If you are still having issues installing Joeffice after following the steps above, I can also create a zip file with the necessary folders to try running Joeffice from your home directory. I haven’t had the chance yet to learn how to create hpkgs. Although, I can still create the old software pkgs.

If i get it running i can make a hpkg file for it. But first i need to see the license to see if i have the rights to do that.

I does not get it running, because the installer breaks every time between 10 and 30 percent

Which Haiku nightly-build are you using?