Wi-Fi & Ethernet Testers Wanted

ralinkwifi is not upgraded => nothing to test.

1 Like

We have some native (non freebsd) drivers for usb to ethernet. Maybe check if one of your adapters happens to be supported?
Writing new ones isnā€™t too difficult either.

However we donā€™t have a native api for the wifi stack so usb to wireless is more complex.

1 Like

Oh, hehehā€¦ makes sense

Working fine on an Acer Aspire 5534 Iā€™ve been testing with Haiku (Nightly hrev52048 (64-bit on amd64 (AMD Turion 64 x2 L310)) using an Atheros Wifi card (atheroswifi) and rtl81xx for Ethernet.

uname -a: Haiku shredder 1 hrev52048 Jun 30 2018 06:55:38 x86_64 x86_64 Haiku

listdev | grep Network:

device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
device Network controller [2|80|0]
device 002a: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)

listimage | grep /dev/net
1048 0xffffffff81454000 0xffffffff81478000 0 0 /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net/rtl81xx
1541 0xffffffff804b6000 0xffffffff80591000 0 0 /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net/atheroswifi
TEAM 1016 (/bin/grep --color=auto /dev/net):

I donā€™t think Iā€™m ready to share my syslog here, but hopefully this info should help. The two primary brands I use are Apple/Mac and HP, so if I have more spare time, I might post more later.

Many awesome thanks for the Wifi work! Long live Haiku! :smile:

That driver is not even updated yet.

@extrowerk, yes, thatā€™s fine, I specifically asked for people to respond who had working WiFi so that I could potentially give them new builds to test.

Hereā€™s the output from my laptop:
~> listdev | grep Network
device Network controller [2|80|0]
device 4727: BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
~> uname -a
Haiku shredder 1 hrev52045 Jun 29 2018 17:02:39 BePC x86 Haiku
~> listimage | grep dev/net
1261 0xd1e1c000 0xd1e41000 0 0 /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net/broadcom570x
TEAM 2222 (/bin/grep --color=auto dev/net):
~>

The ethernet works, but the wifi doesnā€™t. It looks like the bwi driver doesnā€™t support the BCM4313. (https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bwi&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+11.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html)

Iā€™m still pretty new to Haiku, so Iā€™m not sure if this is enough info or if there is something else I should try.

Yes, see above; I probably wonā€™t be attempting the bwi driver for some time, if at all.

If anyone actually knows a usb ethernet adapter that works, chime in.

The idualwifi7260 driver has been added in hrev52068, which adds support for most ā€œIntel Dual Bandā€ chipsets. I found some other issues in the compat layer from that which I need to look at; afterwards Iā€™ll start merging Atheros.

@tlal, there are 3 USB network drivers in the tree: usb_asix, usb_davicom, and usb_ecm. The first two have device IDs here and here, the last one seems to operate on any ECM-type device (and actually looks like it has the best support of the three.)

4 Likes

Great news, thanks! Now I look forward for the new nightly, so I can test it on my laptop. :smiley:

2 Likes

Almost there: see bug report #14244 and let me know what else I can provide. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can test :

Name FreeBSD Chipset [PCIID] comment
atheroswifi ath Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 [168c:0032] support added in FreeBSD 10 via AR9300 HAL

PS: Recent advances in network support are greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

@BlueSky, @hailst0rm, @apgreimann, @KapiX, @starsseed: Iā€™ve attached the new Atheros drivers at https://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/14249/.

Download the correct one for your architecture; then follow the test instructions in the second post on this thread, and report back with whatever happens. Note that on x86_64, you will need to remove the _64 from the filename, of course.

Thanks!

1 Like

Haiku (native) driver for standard ASIX dongles is not in a very good shapeā€¦
cf. https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/8238

This works on FreeBSD:
TRENDnet TU2-ET100

Also, check out the Panda Wireless PAU06 300Mbps N USB Adapter and the NetGear WNCE2001 which hooks to the Ethernet port: Best Gaming Routers - ļ»æNighthawk Pro Gaming - NPG: Power to Win :star_struck:

USB-to-Ethernet works on FreeBSD 11.1 (ue). Seems more work was mentioned beforehand by the core devs for some advanced USB handling (i.e. USB wifi adapters/USB-to-Ethernet, etc.).

Thanks a lot for idualwifi7260! I just got hrev52084 (32-bit) and itā€™s alive! :smile:
https://youtu.be/J9Lx7chd5X8

By the way, why canā€™t we hide the password? Weā€™re not always alone or in safe environments.

When I copy the new atheroswifi binary over to /system/non-packaged/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin Haiku goes into KDL. Is there a command in KDL that lets me copy the debug output to a file? Did a quick look over the help command but couldnā€™t find anything.
Iā€™m running 64bit Haiku hrev52088.

Btw, Iā€™ve just tested the new broadcom570x ethernet driver, and it seems to work properly.

Greetings waddlesplash and everybody,
thanks a lot for tackling this issue!

I have an Atheros/Qualcomm PCI card (QCA9565/AR9565) that wasnā€™t supported by FreeBSD 9.3ā€™s ath driver but is now supported as of FreeBSD 11. Ideally, the updated stack with the new atheroswifi driver should make it work.

Unfortunately,

• listdev accurately detects it as a Wireless Network Adapter;
  • listimage doesnā€™t show the atheroswifi driver as loaded;
  • unsurprisingly then, ifconfig doesnā€™t list it at all.

Thatā€™s both with stock Haiku x86_64 master image (hrev52088 as of this post) and with the atheroswifi driver you attached to #14249. In this case, the syslog does print:

KERN: devfs: reload driver ā€œatheroswifiā€

ā€¦ but listimage remains devoid of any atheroswifi.

Is there any other useful information I can give here?

maybe you can post the PCIID of your wifi adapter in #14249
(it could be something like [168C:0036] - have a look at the listdev command at the top of the page)