Wi-Fi & Ethernet Testers Wanted

When I copy the new atheroswifi binary over to /system/non-packaged/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin Haiku goes into KDL. Is there a command in KDL that lets me copy the debug output to a file? Did a quick look over the help command but couldn’t find anything.
I’m running 64bit Haiku hrev52088.

Btw, I’ve just tested the new broadcom570x ethernet driver, and it seems to work properly.

Greetings waddlesplash and everybody,
thanks a lot for tackling this issue!

I have an Atheros/Qualcomm PCI card (QCA9565/AR9565) that wasn’t supported by FreeBSD 9.3’s ath driver but is now supported as of FreeBSD 11. Ideally, the updated stack with the new atheroswifi driver should make it work.

Unfortunately,

• listdev accurately detects it as a Wireless Network Adapter;
  • listimage doesn’t show the atheroswifi driver as loaded;
  • unsurprisingly then, ifconfig doesn’t list it at all.

That’s both with stock Haiku x86_64 master image (hrev52088 as of this post) and with the atheroswifi driver you attached to #14249. In this case, the syslog does print:

KERN: devfs: reload driver “atheroswifi”

… but listimage remains devoid of any atheroswifi.

Is there any other useful information I can give here?

maybe you can post the PCIID of your wifi adapter in #14249
(it could be something like [168C:0036] - have a look at the listdev command at the top of the page)

I’m not sure what’s going on, then :confused: Right now I’m focusing on getting the ath driver working on chipsets it already is; and then after that I’ll look into these.

Tested the atheroswifi driver with Atheros (AR928X) on Haiku x86_64 (hrev52092) and can confirm that it works fine. Here’s the syslog of the wifi driver connecting to the router and below is my machine and wifi card information.

/var/log> listimage | grep dev/net
1418 0xffffffff814aa000 0xffffffff814d0000 0 0 /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net/rtl81xx
1700 0xffffffff805d8000 0xffffffff806b3000 0 0 /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net/atheroswifi
TEAM 824 (/bin/grep --color=auto dev/net):

/var/log> uname -ar
Haiku shredder 1 hrev52092 Jul 10 2018 23:09:01 x86_64 x86_64 Haiku

/var/log> listdev | grep Network
device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
device Network controller [2|80|0]
device 002a: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)

I’ve also tested an Atheros (AR9485) wifi card and it is shown in listdev, but the driver doesn’t recognise the wifi card. It is definitely included in the FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE sources, so it might be worth having a look to get it recognised by Haiku’s atheroswifi driver.

@waddlesplash Thanks for your work on updating the wifi driver compat layer to FreeBSD 11.1.

OK, the new Atheros driver was merged in hrev52093.

@BlueSky, your issues should be solved.

@vvill, @starsseed, I’m not quite sure what your issues are, but they might be related to #6423. Maybe try the workarounds in that ticket after updating.

1 Like

Thanks waddlesplash. I upgraded to hrev52094 and the atheros driver works. I will do some tests with the signal strength which, with the previous driver, was not as good as under Linux on the same machine.
One minor annoying problem remains: The wifi connection most of the time does not auto-connect at startup, only on rare occasions it does. Is that a known bug/limitation in Haiku or is that driver related?

Known issue; it’s somewhere higher in the stack than drivers.

@vvill, please try again; the AR9300 HAL was added and this seems to make a bunch of newer chipsets work.

1 Like

Slightly late trying out the Atheros driver. The AR9485 card is now working. It now appears under network preferences. I cannot connect to my wifi network though. The SSID/password box keeps popping back up like I’ve put in the wrong password.

1 Like

Excellent! The new atheroswifi driver is now loaded at startup, thus making my AR9565 chip [id 168c::036] now fully functional. (As of hrev52099 on x86_64.)

Very, very nice work @waddlespash! FYI, you’ve just made Haiku my primary OS. (Also thanks to previous improvements with stability, hardware support, package management, GUI toolkits and codecs ports. But gaining support for widely-available atheros wireless chips definitely is a huge plus.)

3 Likes

Are you quite sure you haven’t put in the wrong password? :stuck_out_tongue:
But I have heard reports of that in the past. See if there’s an open ticket for it.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I don’t know if there is already a ticket for this, but instead of the login dialog just reappearing if something went wrong, there should be a dialog alerting the user the password was incorrect, a connection failed to establish, etc. It would definitely help in scenarios like these, and even everyday users to avoid confusion.

1 Like

Hi all,

I´ve tested with a ThinkPad Z470:
listimage | grep dev/net
1162 0xffffffff813e7000 0xffffffff8140a000 0 0 /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net/rtl81xx
1231 0xffffffff8076d000 0xffffffff807e2000 0 0 /boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net/iprowifi4965
TEAM 1359 (/bin/grep --color=auto dev/net):
~> uname -a
Haiku shredder 1 hrev51993 Jun 7 2018 21:09:33 x86_64 x86_64 Haiku
~> listdev | grep Network
device Network controller [2|80|0]
device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
~> listdev | grep Wireless
device 0084: Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak]

Wifi has been working for a long time, ethernet (RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller) doesn´t work (and does not show up in network preferences).

Does “ifconfig dev/net/rtl81xx/0 up” change anything?

1 Like

That worked! Thanks!! Any idea why doesn’t it work out of the box?

Probably a bug in net_server.

Definitely the right password. Will take a look for an open ticket. Thanks

Or a bug in the wpa_supplicant app, i’ve had this issue bothering me for quite sometime, the workaround i found is to downgrade to wpa_supplicant-2.0, but you 'll have to build it from haikuports.
ps: FWTW, i have an atheroswifi device too.

OK, all but the broadcom43xx drivers have now been synced to FreeBSD 11.1. DHCP is still an issue, but at least on one front, I think @tqh is investigating that.

I can test broadcom 4312
deviceid 4315