Who is the owner of Haiku OS and how can I contact him?

I want to know the contact details of the owner.

1 Like

Owner?
Exist one special owner for example for Linux?
There existing a lot of developers. Every developer owns a little part of Haiku. That part, which the developer have contributed.
There is also no CLA (Contributor License Agreement) which the developers have to sign up, so that one single person, company or group would owning it.
But everyone can use the code of Haiku under the MIT license. Under the basis of the MIT license the developers working together.

But there existing an organisation which handels the part with the money. If you spend money, it goes to Haiku, Inc. And they pay with this money for example the server space and so on.
If you want to contact Haiku, Inc have a look at
http://www.haiku-inc.org/contact.html

2 Likes

I am sure there is a person who started Haiku OS and he gets volunteers to develop the OS??

Haiku literally started as a community effort project originally called OpenBeOS. Even the creation of the non-profit corporation was a guy who was a fan of the project who stepped up only to create the corporate entity as a gift for use by the community. There is no owner or single person in charge. There never has been. Perhaps it would be helpful to state what exactly you are trying to accomplish with your request?

Ah, upon reading your other questions further down the forum, I’m actually now quite confused as to why you are asking this question. It appears you are inquiring into making a distro, and questioning the choice of license because you feel the Haiku license is not free enough. Now you want to know who the owner is, while assuming there is a single person who started or owns Haiku. The Haiku operating system and community has no owners, therefore nobody to tell you what to do. Nobody to be your boss. Why are you nearly simultaneously asking for a debatably freer license and then asking for a boss? Isn’t FOSS supposed to be about not having a boss telling you what to do?

Aside from that, what exactly is it about the Haiku license that is incompatible with what you want to do? There is possibly a good reason why it is incompatible. Also, perhaps there is a viable solution to help you out.

Oh, and Welcome to the Haiku Community. We’re a get in where you fit in, everyone is here to help each other in some fashion type place.

5 Likes

I was just curious that is all, cause like I saw a YouTube video of how this 14 year old kid started Haiku in the first place so I assumed that he would be the head.

And thanks mate :slight_smile:

By the way, may I suggest if Redox and Haiku were to work together?

Why would we work with Redox specifically? We do try to collaborate with other open source operating systems whenever possible. This is how we share our network drivers with FreeBSD and RTEMS. This is how ReactOS took inspiration from the design of our USB stack, and we are thinking about collaborating with them on a driver for HDA audio. This is also why we consider getting our 3D acceleration support modeled after either the work done with getting DRM into DragonflyBSD or maybe the work done in Zircon to get Vulkan up and running.

I have never met the Redox people, despite attending various events and conferences around open source software. But if they are interested, we are always open to sharing ideas - and probably not code, because we don’t use the same programming languages.

4 Likes

This is how ReactOS took inspiration from the design of our USB stack,

And your USB 3.0 part of the USB stack comes itself from Fuchsia/Zircon.

How come? Do you have any source for this?
Because they haiku compared it to fuchsia… but it seems
that they are verry unindepentend:

We had an USB3 stack long before Fuchsia was created. We did have a look at their sources to try to understand why our stack was not working and what they could be doing differently, but in the end it turned out we just had some silly (but tricky) bugs, and IIRC we found them by spotting differences with FreeBSD code.

Our USB3 stack was developed from scratch as a GSoC project in 2011. It was then worked on by various devs and recently fixed by Greg Cairn, a recent contributor to Haiku.

2 Likes

[quote=“joe232, post:5, topic:6552”]
I was just curious that is all, cause like I saw a YouTube video of how this 14 year old kid started Haiku in the first place so I assumed that he would be the head.[/quote]

I suggest to re-watch that video. You must’ve misunderstood…
Otherwise, don’t trust everything you read or see without checking a few more sources. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Joe232 said: I was just curious that is all, cause like I saw a YouTube video of how this 14 year old kid started Haiku in the first place so I assumed that he would be the head.

Can you supply the URL? I could use the laugh.

I think I saw the same video. While the atmosphere portrayed in the video seemed a bit official corporate like, at no point did the kid claim to have created Haiku.

Its on the Lunduke show how this owner (I guess he is not too sure) how he was talking about how he has been developing this OS and how it differs from GNU/Linux.

That’s the interview Bryan Lunduke did with @waddlesplash I believe. They mentioned him getting into OS development at 14, but I don’t think they said anything about him creating Haiku.

1 Like

I am not too sure if he is the owner or not, but damn he is smart if he can do low level programming at the age of 14.

Yes, the Lunduke Show interview was with me. I wasn’t doing “low-level programming” at the age of 14 (my programming was “okay”, or thereabouts), that was just when I first started getting involved with the project around 2012 or so. I’m only doing low-level programming in the past year or so.

And I’m definitely not the “owner”, and I don’t think I’ve ever said anything that could possibly be interpreted that way. As others have already stated, Haiku has no “owner” so to speak.

8 Likes

We all own Haiku. Due to this, if you have any grievance with Haiku, you should take it up with yourself. :wink:

6 Likes

Earl you’ve been around a long time! I remember your name from the early days of BeOS.

1 Like