What improvements do you want to see for Beta3?

We have disabled 2D acceleration a long time ago because it makes things slower on “modern” hardware (anything using PCI or AGP). And for PCI-express most cards don’t even support it, because you can do things better and faster with the 3D acceleration (2D is just a special case of 3D now).

Only the hardware accelerated cursor is still supported, I do plan to have a look at that but it isn’t that great of a feature so I worked on other things so far.

3 Likes

A better UEFI support for GRUB2.

My USB stick boots fine (legacy USB boot) but when i try to boot the bootx64.efi file from haiku (after hdd install) the computer reboot instantly. Same behavior with Refind so I think it’s a problem inside that bootx64.efi file.

1 Like

Haiku is completely unrelated to GRUB.

Where did you get bootx64.efi file? Does Haiku live USB boot in EFI mode?

There are parts of Haiku that have either been neglected or little improved in a decade in some cases. The TV app currently supports a single card. MediaConverter is still very limited and crash prone. CodyCam only supports ancient webcams. Print still can’t output a decent test page. How about polishing up the apps and servers we already include on our Beta releases, so they actually work, so as to give a good impression to first time users?

6 Likes

Handling large drives. All versions can not access my 4 TB hard drives.

I got the bootx64.efi file from the Haiku beta2 USB stick in legacy mode.

Because i tried to boot the stick in UEFI mode (using the DELL bios bootmenu F12) but the menu hangs once “Haiku UEFI” is selected.

(I created the USB stick on linux with gnome-disks app)

This is probably the same as in https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14453.

Probably but mine is not a Mac.
It’s a DELL PC optiplex 390, core i5, 6GB RAM.

• redshift: same for me, being able to change the gamma and color of the monitor (even manually) would be great.

• accented letters are not working like on Linux, which is less practical (you can’t just use caps lock to enter accented letters)

• being able to hibernate or put computer into sleep mode

• being able to lower (hide) and raise windows with only one click on the deskbar (edit: I saw we can lower a window by double clicking the yellow tab!)

• faster and more responsive web pages in WebPositive

• ad block in WebPositive

1 Like

We can’t really do this (different keymaps for shift and capslock) because it would create some BeOS compatibility problems. On the AZERTY keymap I have added the accented letters as alt + shift + é, alt + shift + è, etc. I don’t know if any other keymap is affected by this problem.

1 Like

yes, I can understand that, legacy and compatibility is important.

On the other hand, in the “disposition clavier”, I see a Français (Bépo) and Français (Mac), could it be possible to have Azerty (Linux) in addition (or tell me how I could add this)? I’ve discovered the Français (Mac) has the accented letters with caps lock.

How about an ARM port to make Haiku run on the Raspberry Pi? I don’t know whether that’d be feasible or an insane amount of work and therefore unrealistic, but with Haiku on the Pi we could potentially get a lot of curious users to try it. Some might stay and install it on a full-size laptop or desktop. (It’s how I found my current main everyday OS and first became acquainted with some others, e.g. Plan9.)

1 Like

there is preliminary work for ARM, m68k, PowerPC and SPARC with varying degrees of usability

Not so varying: none of them are in any kind of an usable state currently.

Now I hope for Vietnamese Input Method (VNI) added and the community all agreed and started to port UXP and PaleMoon. I know this is a big task so I don’t expect it to complete after Beta3. Just got it started is already good.

1 Like

Agreed? Started? Care to give us some more details?

1 Like

VirtualBox guest addition should be great. The addition should work for both Vbox 5 and Vbox 6. I’m using Vbox 6. Haiku is a perfectly match for Vbox. Other OS put the taskbar at the bottom and it’s very inconvenient in full screen mode because Vbox’s menu also there. Haiku doesn’t suffer this problem.

Good day,

Well, Dropbox and PCloud integration wouldn’t do any harm either. Though I can wait for those. Other stuff is more important, I presume.

Regards,
RR

Well personally I’m not a fan of proprietary services like Dropbox, which is why I worked on owncloud/nextcloud support instead. Feel free to do it though, does Dropbox have an open protocol they can use anyway like webdav ?

2 Likes

We do have partial support for guest additions, just they won’t work on the newest Virtualbox so they must be updated.