What enhancement I need or want in Haiku?

In most OS’es this “freedom” can be disabled or enabled with one checkbox.

It looks like you missed the PatchBay application?

And in our case you can just press alt+shift+K to clean up your desktop.

Yeah, grid-based icon placement is the feature I miss the most in Tracker. There is a ticket for it https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3598

3 Likes

Where did the UserShutdownScript functionality go?
Am I missing something or it’s really gone forever?

I would want to have it back, because now those Qt apps almost never quit properly during the shutdown process, so I need to confirm that I want to kill every one of them. I’d better have a script that starts as soon as I press the power button, unmounts and cleans up all my RAM-disks and shutdowns properly. I don’t know if it’s just a regression or well-thought decision, but as we don’t quite have an alternative yet, it would be nice to get it back =)

I tried Patch Bay now, and it just says “No MIDI devices found!”, even though I have two hardware synths connected through USB. I guess it’s a driver problem though.

And yes, Alt + Shift + K seems to work for cleaning up the icons, but on other systems it wouldn’t be necessary unless the user wants them organized by name or something.

You’re not alone! I sometimes like to make little piles of icons on the desktop, such that only their labels don’t overlap too much. Then grab them all and move them somewhere (sometimes using ‘Filer’).

If I want to line icons up nicely, I hold ALT while drag’n’dropping them into position.
Anarchic icon placement and order live peacefully side by side on my Desktop. :smile:

1 Like

No, as it’s the case with most things, it’s just a patch away.
There’s a ticket for it: #4444

1 Like

Cleaning up the desktop icon really need a rework. I does not like to rebuild my icons order after testing around older apps who change the screen resolution autimatically.

2 Likes
  • i want to use my competiron pro usb joystick

• i want to use my usb headset

• i want a deskbar there i can place my icons comfortable

• i want a 64bit haiku with 32bit application support like in Windows

• i want a good browser with no limitation

• i want a multiuser support (can be single pc solution)

• i want secure surfing in haiku

• i does not want a slow haiku with 3d desktop, too much colored system.

1 Like

Patches welcome.
Bugrepirts/New Features too. But as Ticket.
It is just a forum.

true but we can discuss this over here.

if any of us, I think, have a solution here, we would certainly make it available.

But most people can not. But you can talk about it and express your wishes. Sometimes you also need the sight of others to be sure about your own thinking.

If everyone would put their thoughts and wishes into the bug tracker, that would not be the right solution.

1 Like

At least the Competition Pro joystick should be working already. If it’s not, it’s a bug and should be reported (with the HID descriptor you can find somewhere in /var when the device is connected).

I also really like being able to place icons exactly where I want them! I tend to group them according to relationship. I didn’t even know about using Alt (thanks!) but I have a feeling I’ll never use it…

If positioning gets screwed up by changing resolution, tbat would be really annoying – it was on BeOS – but I’ve never bothered with different resolutions in Haiku.

Hmm. I use USB MIDI all the time, and haven’t had any trouble. If they’re “standard compliant” devices, they should show up. Which devices are they?
(Mine are M-Audio – actually only used for input, though one output is to the piano, if I want it.)

1 Like

I have a Roland SC-D70 connected directly through USB. The other synth is the SC-55mkII. This one is connected through a MIDI-to-USB cable (UM-ONE mk2). I don’t know if they’re standards compliant, maybe not.

1 Like

I see the UM-ONE mk2 has a “Comp/Tab” switch. Try setting it to “Tab” and see if Haiku recognizes it then. The user manual says that the “Comp” setting needs a special driver (only available for Win/Mac), while the “Tab” setting makes it tablet-compatible for use with iPads, where it needs no additional driver. Since iPads support standard class compliant USB-MIDI-devices, I assume this switches the adapter to standard-compliant mode.

1 Like

Thanks, I switched the UM-ONE mk2’s setting to “Tab” and now the error is gone: https://i.imgur.com/YHeDNrz.png

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with Patch Bay though. It doesn’t seem to play MIDI files. MidiPlayer also still insists on just using a soundfont.

EDIT: Well it seems like I can do this at least: https://i.imgur.com/cXWYnsn.png

Haiku (Operating System) should be renamed to Haiku-OS or HaikuOS, or Haiku OS officially, or return to previous name OBOS (OpenBeOS).
Neither google nor youtube knows such a thing as Haiku (Operating System) only Haiku (poetic form), but, actually, they know about Haiku OS.
www.haiku-os.org also say something about this awkward situation.
This is one of the things that prevent knowing Haiku (Operating System) to a wider audience.
…also I must add that homonyms are bad thing in a language, and fully homonyms even worse, these things make people stupid (two homonyms are like two files with the same name in the same directory).

1 Like

Get Windows to rename to WindowsOS first, because their name can easily be confused with something else too. Come back when you convinced Microsoft.

5 Likes