[quote=richienyhus]Here are a few Open Source BeOS FTP clients:

https://github.com/memecode/i.Ftp

They all need some TLC.[/quote]

You can also try this, now open source software:

http://www.ayukov.com/nftp/

[quote=richienyhus]Here are a few Open Source BeOS FTP clients:

https://github.com/memecode/i.Ftp

They all need some TLC.[/quote]

Iā€™ve been using FtpPositive regularly. Doesnā€™t seem to need much extra love (:-)), except for the lack of English docs.
From a quick glance, the other two donā€™t seem to offer as much.

I still like Pfeifferā€™s FTPFS much the best, if we could only get something like it in Haiku.

[quote=damoklas]
You can also try this, now open source software:

http://www.ayukov.com/nftp/[/quote]

Funny you should mention that, I was looking for that app while writing that comment, but gave up because I couldnā€™t remember its name.

I have created a ticket for it to be added to HaikuPorts:

[quote=Munchausen]
To be clear, I didnā€™t write this from scratch, just got curlftpfs (from here http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/) to build. (Reading my post back I realised I wasnā€™t clear about that).[/quote]
Got that before I postedā€¦ Still a mighty fast port! (:-))

[Those damn captchas are getting real annoying. I seem to be hit with them every other time. Youā€™d think it would be able to recognize ne after all this timeā€¦! Make that every time!! It hit me three times in a row, now!]

Looking a bit deeper, I realized that it could do with a little more tendernessā€¦

I was wondering why it didnā€™t have the obviously-useful navigation buttons, but looking at the source I realized that it did have them ā€“ they just werenā€™t showing up! Seems that the jamfile build failed to add the resource. Also the field labels tended to be truncated.

So I dove in and fixed things up. Also gave it a vector icon, and wrote a README.

An hpkg and a zip (the latter including the current source) are available at

FtpPositive

and on BeShare (when Iā€™m connected).

It would be cool if it started making ux design, poker rooms is not enough), social apps

[quote=Pete][quote=Munchausen]
To be clear, I didnā€™t write this from scratch, just got curlftpfs (from here http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/) to build. (Reading my post back I realised I wasnā€™t clear about that).[/quote]
Got that before I postedā€¦ Still a mighty fast port! (:-))
[/quote]

Thanks :slight_smile: Iā€™ve now put the recipe and patches on the haikuports issue tracker https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues/742

Haiku OS seems like the perfect operating system for online teachers who use Skype and Skype recording software.
The multi-window feature of Haiku would make our job much easier. Even modern Windows cannot compare to the ease and productivity Haiku OS can provide with its many features.

However, Haiku OS needs a Skype downloadable desktop version. Preferably able to run Skype Classic and the new version (8).
There is also a need for an automatic Skype recorder which automatically starts recording each Skype call made and saves them to a designated folder in .mp3 format.

These two programs would make Haiku OS one of the most used operating systems for online teachers.

1 Like

For Skype you should ask Microsoft to:
a) make a port or
b) release the sources

I use Skype in Haiku as well as Facebook chat, ICQ, discord and steam chat through a XMPP gateway.
It works very well, but no voice or video chat is supported for obvious reasons.

I should write a tutorial about it when I got some time.

2 Likes

I would love to see better wifi wireless network support (however I understand this is in progress) and a media program like 3Dmix from BeOS 5 where it presented a 3D board and you add sound samples to mix audio and your mixed audio could be output to a *.wav *.mp3 or other audio format. After all like BeOS isnā€™t the Haiku sound byte ā€œthe media OSā€. Other than that most items I need are already found in Haiku.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

Regarding the apps I would like to see on Haiku, I present the list of the ones I use on a daily basis on Linux

• Audacity (Haiku has BeAE, yet to be tested)
  • Blender (available in Haiku, not instalable though)
  • BlueFish
  • DBBrowser for SQlite (available in Haiku, seems fine at the moment)
  • Dropbox, GoogleDrive, Onedrive integration
  • Firefox (Webpositive is available but there are rendering issues in plenty of situations, even on the Haiku website)
  • Gimp
  • Gnome Calendar (a multiview calendar with appointment management, even with online storage on Dropbox/Onedrive/GoogleDrive for syncing)
  • Gnome Clocks (a multi timezone, multiwatch with UTC and no timezone mismatch) The time preferences canā€™t set to the right time zone, time is right but shows GMT while I am on GMT+1
  • Gnome To Do (a Task Manager is a must)
  • Gnome Weather (a multi-location weather app)
  • GtkOctave (comand line Octave is available, just need the GUI)
  • Inkscape
  • Input Engine. Quite a mess to type non latin languages, there is no Yawerty keymap for Russian, Chinese input does not work so well at the moment.
  • LibreCad (available in Haiku, seems fine at the moment without too much testing)
  • LibreOffice (available in Haiku, presents some issues wether on Virtual Machine as well as on a Vaio VGN-SR19XN)
  • MakeHuman
  • MuseScore 2
  • MyPaint
  • .NET SDK and Runtime
  • OpenShot Video Editor (Haiku has Clockwerk and UltraDV, yet to be tested)
  • PoEdit
  • Scribus (already on Haiku, seems fine but not thoroughly tested yet)
  • Telegram (already on Haiku, no difference with Linux nor Windows version at the moment)
  • Thunderbird (have to try the Haiku mail app. Also a Geary type could be nice)
  • Twitter client (I use Corebird, Haiku has Haiku Twitter, yet to be tested)
  • VirtualBox
  • Visual Studio Code
  • Unity 3d Game Engine
  • Wordpress Desktop (Haiku has BlogPositive, yet to be tested)

Improved Terminal.

Printing System. I canā€™t get any network printer to print.

Other than these, I would like to have a Project Management App. Planner on Linux is quite un-updated, so I end up using OpenProject on a VirtualBox Xubuntu web server.

I understand that is better to have a small app that does something really well, than having an app that does lots of things and excels at nothing. Moreover, the first approach results in more responsiveness.

Haiku needs a better file manager that shows network attached filesystems. FuseSMB is installed but shows no shares. Tracker does not show any network filesystem be it NTFS, NFS or whatever I have on any network.

Iā€™ve yet to try the IDEs but as far as I know, Kdevelop is mainly for Qt. Better an specific Haiku IDE, and add languagesā€™ support step by step.

Is PWA (Progressive Web Apps) a bad idea for Haiku, to shorten the ā€œapp-gapā€?

I might have left some somewhere, but if I donā€™t remember now, they are not so important.

Thanks for your time, and regards

RR

What I would like - may/may not already exist in the world of applications.

I am dealing with clients for which tasks have to be accounted for by categories. This is a freelance/remote environment and 90% of exchanges are via emails and 10% via conference calls. Of course, invoicing has to be broken down by the categories.

I am currently using GMail without much sophistication although I set-up tags to organize the messages. However, getting a detail from a conversation means connecting to the web unless the message was saved locally (which I do via ā€œPrint to PDFā€). Anyhow, tracking time for invoicing from this basis is cumbersome.

From what I remember, the BeOS/Haiku Mail allows to locally save the message individually and organize them using attributes. I am uncertain though how to go about this when using GMail as the mail service provider.

But what I would love is for being able to open-up a request message to start a task clock (and stop it when the message is closed) and accumulate the time taken to complete the task in this fashion.

At monthā€™s end, it would be only a matter of pulling up the request messages received in the month to generate a list of activities and time spent on themā€¦

I sense this would be easier to create an application to do so for Haiku than for any other operating systemsā€¦

I would like to see a good virtual machine program. There is Qemu, but thereā€™s no KVM support or a GUI and itā€™s quite unstable.

Wine4Haiku, win4be

I do two things regularly: web development and sysadmin stuff. This requires a minimum of the following software for daily and frequent use:

• at least 2-3 modern browsers with user-script support: Firefox, Chromium/Chrome, Opera, Falkon etc.
  • Remmina (remote control client supporting SSH, VNC, RDP, etc
  • TeamViewer (closed-source, depended on wine but it migrated to Qt - so thereā€™s hope)
  • Eclipse PDT (PHP IDE with debugging support)
  • FileZilla
  • Inkscape and GIMP
  • VirtualBox, for operating systems that offer me more software, but also as testing environments for various purposes
  • a CHM reader (mainly for the PHP offline documentation)

Low-priority sysadmin tools:

Productivity:

• LibreOffice (still not available for 32-bit)

For entertainment purposes:

• VLC and/or an MPV gui
  • Gaupol subtitle editor (this + the ā€œSuper Netflixā€ Chrome/ium extension save the day when you watch movies with the family)
  • the widevine browser plugin to play DRM-protected video content from Netflix, Amazon, HBO and others
  • Wine (for some webdev/sysadm stuff as well, not just for entertainment)
  • Steam (most likely only possible through Wine, or ultimately through a different OS in VirtualBox)

And this is just scratching the surface. In reality, Iā€™d feel all tied up if Haiku wouldnā€™t have a more varied software offer.

one thing. that my tablet works right ā€¦ karenlive who knows someday.

I would like to see analog for Haiku of this one incredible tool ā€œDouble Killerā€:

Double Killer searches single or multiple folders/partitions for identical files. Files can be compared by name, size, date and/or CRC32 checksums. Masks like .mpg or *.dll are supported and files with certain attributes (e.g. hidden files, may be excluded from the search). When the search is finished a list containing all double files found is displayed and you can select the files which should be deleted or moved.

https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=136

Just port this: https://github.com/jvirkki/dupd

This ā€œdubdā€ is not in the same league: it is CLI app and less capable.