What apps do you need on Haiku?

[quote=dcatt][quote=pvalue]Profesional IDE with

• Haiku API support
  • git or subversion support

port or native application[/quote]

Well you have Paladin available though it would be nice to see a BeIDE clone (ala HaikuIDE?)![/quote]

Mhhh

Yes, here it is Lazarus :] i don’t know Pascal or Basic.
Paladin is don’t develop any more and still is based on sys tools like PE editor and his not stable.
Some gays made a new IDE mhh Heidi, but is still don’t very advanced and requires gcc4.
Other IDE is not compatible with Haiku API like Nue or Sisong, all not stable.

Please made some stuff for a people not for each other.

[quote=Rainer]

• Virtualbox
[/quote] Wise suggestion, thumbs up!

[quote=damoklas][quote=michel][quote=damoklas]wine:
https://www.winehq.org/about/
…I think this is the most important application for Haiku-OS now.
…Can we do it better than in Linux?[/quote]

There was an attempt back in the BeOS days. The IIRC stumbling block was that you needed a flawless X11 port before you could even start on Wine. And you ended up with so many layers of emulation that things were very slow (on 1990s hardware, that is).

But in any case, emulation is not going to be Haiku’s saviour. This is the same argument we saw with QT4 and OpenJDK and how did those work out?. In both cases we got some interesting new apps for the Haiku faithful to play with, but we still don’t have a coherent reason why other people should strip Windows, OSX or Linux from their systems and install Haiku instead. We need innovative native apps, showing things done on Haiku that can’t be done on any other OS.[/quote]

… Windows applications is one of those tasks that the user from time to time have to perform. Of course, in addition “wine” immediately gives access to the software, which Haiku-OS does not have.[/quote]
I agree.
Most people don’t want a “revolutionary OS”, they just want to do their stuff in a simple way, and wine can offer a soft transition from their current PC setup.

On the other side, gamers are a dangerous user set. Games are the very first application Windows users will run, and a performance comparison will be a obvious result. Wine on linux performs very well, what about HaikuOS?

It’s not “HaikuOS” or “Haiku-OS”, it’s just “Haiku”. Do you say “WindowsOS” or “LinuxOS”?

For games, we will be slower (a lot slower) as long as we don't have 3d acceleration. For wine and the like, there shouldn't be this much overhead (it's not emulation, it's a compatibility layer). However, if you think the way to get started for an OS is running windows apps, I would suggest trying and advertising ReactOS instead. This is not what Haiku is trying to achieve.

One could say our goals don't align well with what most people want, but that's not really what we are after. Haiku is a clone of a relatively obscure OS from the 90s, did you expect it to go mainstream?

Well, just to be clear: I DO like Haiku (sorry for my typo) the way it is, I run the nightly builds both in virtual machines and on real hardware and I’m always excited for its improvements.

No.
I just know running Windows apps is what people need in order to start “considering” Haiku as a valuable choice.

Ok, got it.

As I think Haiku OS would make a great OS for low end systems like netbooks to allow them to be used as a personal organiser, Here is my list.

• Sticky Note
  • Calculator
  • Notepad
  • Simple Paint Program
  • Media Player
  • Address Book
  • Calendar
  • Web Browser
  • Mail Client
  • WebChat*
  • ?Phone?*

This would fulfill most of the needs that people use computers for on a personal level.

*The last two are only really if Haiku moves towards becoming a mobile OS platform for the netbook form factor which i think would be a bold move for today’s current climate.

screensavers. i especially would like substrate but neat screensavers in general i love.

Substrate is already ported and available in HaikuDepot.

AKT-Haiku: some of these are already avaialble, or even readily installed on any Haiku image you can run (StyledEdit is a better Notepad, for example). It is useless to list apps that already exist so please do some research first :)

“substrate” was synechdoche and not the entirety of what i’m asking, i don’t have names for these screensavers but that’s the style and i want several.

I would like to have some “end user” database, like “TreeLine” or “Kexi” database.

I definitely just need three apps:

1. A modern Word Processor (something like Abiword would be enough)
  2. A modern web browser. I appreciate the efforts for the development of WebPositive, but is very rudimentary and basic; there is Qupzilla which works far better (ad blocker, support for plugins - by default Grease Monkey is installed on Qupzilla -, password manager and so on): but is built on an incomplete port of QT framework for Haiku: the QT webkit on Haiku lacks many important features like HTML5 audio and video support, so would be very good to see an improved/complete browser (improve the QT webkit for Haiku) or maybe a port of Firefox on Haiku.
  3. An image manipulation application, something like Gimp.

I almost use Haiku for daily computing and apart these lacks, I am very satisfied with Haiku: I hope for the day when I’ll get rid of Windows from my computer.

P.S:
I read the whole thread and I’ve seen that a lot of folks need applications which are already present in Haiku: would be a good idea install/try Haiku (and browse through Haikudepot app) :slight_smile:

We don’t need any apps on Haiku, what we need is relationships with major third-party developers.

Since this has become a litte complexe i started a google docs… to sort the informations from this thread,
Maybe also collect solutions other user have found so far or things which have already been implemented…
Help to bring this up to date would be wonderful as it would be a great source of information.

Well, first of all we’ve barely scratched the surface of what is possible with the flat-file database that makes up our file system. There are still lots of possibilities of storing data in attributes.

Replicants are currently used mostly as desktop decorations. But any program can be a replicant container. Imagine a productivity app that is basically a replicant container with pagination. Want some text? Drop in a text-editing replicant. Spreadsheet? Graphic? Just drop it in. In fact, anyone could develop new replicants and the container would accept them as part of the system.

The hey command gives incredible scripting power over running apps - if you can figure out how this woefully underdocumented command works. The first developer to take hey seriously will make Applescript look like a joke. Couple this with newly developed apps like gadgeteer and yoshi and you can see an OS where the distinction between “running apps” and “scripting” just is not that important.

Sure, all of that could be done on other platforms, but you’d have to write a whole lot of dependencies first. With a bit of imagination and a lot of hard coding, we can do better than just be a platform for ports from other OSs or a mere emulation host.

If I want to run Windows programs, I can do it in Windows. Or if I hate Microsoft, I can do it in emulation under Mac OSX, Linux or BSD. Why bother installing Haiku to do something you can do already? Getting such a facility would be nice for existing Haiku users, just as getting QT and Java was nice for us. But it will not attract new Haiku users.

Well, Haiku OS is very good and convenient as a desktop OS. Annex undoubted you mentioned other advantages. This is true. But it is also true that to attract new users and keep existing is required to ensure that those users would be able to meet the basic needs using Haiku OS. Only in this case, they will be able to use the OS as a primary OS, and only in that case will be created and developed own Haiku OS software because it will be necessary for someone.
I think the wine is able to satisfy all of these basic needs.

[quote=PulkoMandy]
AKT-Haiku: some of these are already avaialble, or even readily installed on any Haiku image you can run (StyledEdit is a better Notepad, for example). It is useless to list apps that already exist so please do some research first :)[/quote]

Hi there. Sorry, didn’t mean to be wasting your time, but that was supposed to be a FULL LIST of the apps that I consider ESSENTIAL for any modern OS whether they have been developed or not.

Think of it more as a suite, if you will, and that all those items would have to be satisfied to meet my expectations.

Hi there Paradoxon,

Just making some additions to your Google Docs. Hope you don’t mind.

:smiley:

[quote=AKT-Haiku]Hi there Paradoxon,
:D[/quote]

Thanks AKT-Haiku! Actually that was the idea on posting this link ;-).
So everyone who is intrested to help there is warmly welcome to edit this document.

[quote=AKT-Haiku]Hi there Paradoxon,
:D[/quote]
Some short info… you also changed the “categorie” Since i used the one from haiku depot
https://depot.haiku-os.org/#/?bcguid=bc1005-EAFS&repos=guestonejava,fatelk,guestone,haikuports,besly,clasqm,haiku&arch=x86_gcc2&viewcrttyp=CATEGORIES

[Edit removed stupid comment from me :)]

Ah Okay, Thanks for that. It will be a helpful resource.

I can put the categgories back if you like but I’d like to keep a copy of the file in this different form as it helps me to see and understand where the developments are. also I’m starting to feel that there should actually, in fact, be more (!!!) <:-o

:slight_smile: