What apps do you need on Haiku?

The main question was: “What apps do you need on Haiku?” -
And not: “What apps do you want to be in Haiku as default application?”

My asking are “Why i should use a DosBox” for applicatiosn who are running on Haiu/BeOS/Zeta directly if one can compile it for the system. And, yes i know the DosBox, i write a DOSBox GUI for Haiku.

I think this list are for the people who have fun to make something for Haiku and have the expierience of it. Yes they are also applications and ideas for the Main System.

I does not have the expirience to make it by myself, so i hope for other people. But i am not only a user who shout, hey make somthing for me, i try myself many things to compile, testing, using…

With blender you can cut video… in the video sequence editor…

Html 5
Basic foto retouching app for editing the histogramm (color correction)
writer

Hi,

Just wondering if you think that the Programming Without Coding Technology (PWCT) free product could create cross-platform apps that would run on Haiku. (It won’t run on Haiku itself without Wine, but you could use it on Win / Linux.)

“PWCT is a general-purpose visual programming tool designed for novice and expert programmers.”

Also, what are the Haiku dev’s views generally on using cross-platform and portable apps on Haiku?

I still haven’t been able to get e-mail running (I’ve tried a few of the 3rd party versions in addition to the built-in e-mail), but I haven’t seen anyone requesting e-mail. What are you using for IMAP?

I would like to see:
Boinc, 3d acceleration for FlightGear and SecondLife, FlightGear and Secondlife ported, suspend to ram and/or disc. Suspend is very useful with Boinc because some projects running in Boinc only write to disc at long intervals, so quite a bit of work can be lost at shutdown.

Basics necessary for me :-
Fast web browser, with straight forward navigation & bookmarking.
Small music player that can use directories to load files,(like xmms/audacious).
Video/movie player, including commecial DVD’s, (like GMplayer)
Small spreadsheet & writer programs, as well as a fast text editor.

Additional programs :-
Graphics editor.
Movie editor.

& for time wasting :-
PySolFC, or similar, (Shisen, Mahjongg, & card games).

(Sorry; duplicate post,somehow.)

• E-Mail: you can use Beam, it works reasonably well
  • Spreadsheet: Sum-it is available, even if it's rather simple
  • DVD player: VLC 0.8.6i from Haikuware should do it
  • Playing music from folders: just drag and drop folders on VLC or even the stock MediaPlayer.

raw photo editor (preferably nondestructive, like rawtherapee)
a scanner utility that, unlike SANE in linux, can utilize infrared dust removal in scanners that have it

Hi all,

If you have an idea of a library or small app that you think wold be quick and easy to port (so not blender or any other big apps), then you can add it to our list of potential GCI tasks.

Google Code-In is a contest to introduce pre-university students (ages 13-17) to the many kinds of contributions that make open source software development possible. For many students the Google Code-In contest is their first introduction to open source development. Haiku has been a partner in the programme since it first started and we provide “bite sized” tasks for students to complete during the seven week contest.

If you are intrested in submitting an idea for a task then you can make one ​at Google Forms. Be sure to fill out all the questions inorder to incressed the likelihood that your idea is chosen.

Google Form:

More info on GCI:

Let’s say you want a particular app ported to Haiku from another platform. Why not approach the app developers themselves and ask them if they would like to help port their app to Haiku. Afterall, they are already proficient in coding, and they might be keen to see their apps running on another platform. You could give them a Haikuporter instruction kit, a USB with Haiku on it, and a Haiku dev could offer some help. You could also offer incentives like giving their app icon star billing on the Haiku desktop.

On the IDE side, it is possible to compile and use Monkey Studio (Qt based). It seems quite complete. We will need to generate Haiku API “support” for it (specific syntax highlight and code completion). There is an old recipe in HaikuPorts which may need an update to the latest version. Last time I tried, it did run without glitches.

Mixxx would be ideal and if done right could be the killer app that propels Haiku into some mainstream usage.

wine:
https://www.winehq.org/about/

…I think this is the most important application for Haiku-OS now.
…Can we do it better than in Linux?

[quote=damoklas]wine:
…Can we do it better than in Linux?[/quote]

There was an attempt back in the BeOS days. The IIRC stumbling block was that you needed a flawless X11 port before you could even start on Wine. And you ended up with so many layers of emulation that things were very slow (on 1990s hardware, that is).

But in any case, emulation is not going to be Haiku’s saviour. This is the same argument we saw with QT4 and OpenJDK and how did those work out?. In both cases we got some interesting new apps for the Haiku faithful to play with, but we still don’t have a coherent reason why other people should strip Windows, OSX or Linux from their systems and install Haiku instead. We need innovative native apps, showing things done on Haiku that can’t be done on any other OS.

I think Haiku needs fully functional Intel HD GFX driver like Radeon HD is. maybe witthout 3D acceleration for long time but important for most users is Change Screen Resolutions to native and 2D transparency.

second needs working Intel HDA sound driver. i test Haiku on more computers and i see this that i reboot Haiku from Windows than sound is not working when i reboot from linux on power down and power up pc than Haiku have sound ok.

this are hw

at the software site would be nice to have ftp support in Tracker, something like open a tracker with login info or anonymous and see ftp in file browser and dragndrop suport between two opened tracker windows - after this maybe samba?

like was writen up, i like to beos video editor Clockwerk, is very good app but is not very stable, its problem to save bigger video.

what about somethink like linux conky? is for Haiku dynamic replicant scripted app for displaying not only infos but scripted replicants?

some app for download wallpapers online from online sites like deviantart for Haiku desktop will be nice

Hi,

I would like to have:

1 - Blender 3D,
2 - one html5 browser and
3 - one office suite.

[quote=michel][quote=damoklas]wine:
…Can we do it better than in Linux?[/quote]

There was an attempt back in the BeOS days. The IIRC stumbling block was that you needed a flawless X11 port before you could even start on Wine. And you ended up with so many layers of emulation that things were very slow (on 1990s hardware, that is).

But in any case, emulation is not going to be Haiku’s saviour. This is the same argument we saw with QT4 and OpenJDK and how did those work out?. In both cases we got some interesting new apps for the Haiku faithful to play with, but we still don’t have a coherent reason why other people should strip Windows, OSX or Linux from their systems and install Haiku instead. We need innovative native apps, showing things done on Haiku that can’t be done on any other OS.[/quote]

There are no such things that can not be programmed in Haiku system, and which can not be programmed in the other OS. I think, here plays a more important role Computers hardware, what you can and what you can not programm.
Operating system is a complex thing, and the solutions of OS problems are complex.
You have to compete with other OS you want to or not, you must give the opportunity to users to perform basic tasks on the computer in the appropriate level, and some things, in better level. Windows applications is one of those tasks that the user from time to time have to perform. Of course, in addition “wine” immediately gives access to the software, which Haiku-OS does not have.

Profesional IDE with

• Haiku API support
  • git or subversion support

port or native application

[quote=pvalue]Profesional IDE with

• Haiku API support
  • git or subversion support

port or native application[/quote]

Well you have Paladin available though it would be nice to see a BeIDE clone (ala HaikuIDE?)!