Wait... what's broken?

Something is broken with the repo for nightlies, I cant “lock” (or “downgrade”) to a working hrev,
the official instructions on Updating and downgrading your system | Haiku Project
do not work to lock to hrev56575 which is working fine.
I get the option to basically remove 40-50 (critical) programs, or keep the hrev that doesnt work with said programs.

Getting lots of “missing symbol” errors, in bepdf and webpositive

Is there any way to revert “forcefully”/manually to a previous hrev?
Or at least preselect the boot menu option to said hrev instead of latest installed one?

i keep seeing comments to the effect of compute power and WebKit building and resources being intensive, taking hours to build.

would is help to reduce build times ??

No, why would it matter how long it builds if nobody investigated and fixed bugs?

My computer is fast enough to build webkit in a reasonable timeframe and I think pulkomandys is too. Dunno about madmaxs computer.

I would suggest to just update to latest nightly. WebPositive works again, and BePDF has just been updated too (along with other apps).

A full build from scratch takes 2 hours on my machine. I have to do this from inside Haiku. I am not interested in doing this on a Haiku system running in a virtual machine on a server in the other side of the world. Also I don’t do full builds all the time, so when I’m testing simple changes it takes maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute.

And it still wouldn’t solve the main problem: I don’t have a lot of time to work on this, maybe a few hours every weekend.

Other people have slower/older machines than mine, but if you want to help them, I think it would be more interesting to send them a new computer than to give them access to a server.

1 Like

have them reach out to me, I’ll see what i can do

1 Like

Thank you, that worked perfectly

Thats why I suggested to inform the user what awaits them in my thread about “libshared explained”
If user knows what awaits them, they will be careful and understand what to do. Update or not!?

Communication with the user or give Information about what is going on and what might happen keeps the user calm.

Also if you had informed user or the Press or Reporter beforhand, they would consider doing a review or an update, later, after Beta 4…

1 Like

Hello. Yes, there is a way: during the boot process, if you press the space bar, or hold the Shift key, a boot menu will appear. On this menu, you can choose a previous state. You can get more information on this link:

Boot Loader (haiku-os.org)

Specific, on this part:

• Under Select boot volume you can specify what former “version” of Haiku to boot. Every time you un/install a package, the old state is saved and you can boot into it by choosing it from the list presented in the boot loader options.
    So, if you encounter boot problems after installing some package, boot a Haiku state from before that time and uninstall the offending package. You can permanently revert to a specific Haiku revision as described in the topic SoftwareUpdater.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I’ve updated to the latest nightly and wifi is working.

2 Likes

WebPositive using WebKit 615.1.10 on Haiku hrev56588 x86_64.

Just takes some time to get things back to normal.
Xmas is coming…

2 Likes

what kind of things?

1 Like

On my side Wifi got broken (see ticket 18064) and I do hope somebody manages to fix that as if not the case, I will have to use Beta 4 on VMs :frowning:

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Haiku totally sux

BePodder is severely underwhealming in hrev56588

bepodder

:frowning: :sob:

No, just no. Releases are terribly obsolete and have a little meaning.

4 Likes

The real culprit is ELF executable format that mess symbol imports. PE, PEF and MachO have no such problems.

1 Like

Tried updating BePodder yet? Because it was updated 2 days ago, just to address that issue.

1 Like

To be fair, we’re trying to fix this. It’s why we have been striving to getting on a yearly beta release cycle.

R1/beta4 is just around the corner. I feel like the absolute bare minimum for R1 is improving the stability of WebPositive. Our browser needs to be world class at minimum before finalizing R1.

9 Likes

If it gets to the point where the Haiku team just ended up making a web browser on par with Chrome and Firefox, I’d vouch for it to be multiplatform.