Voting for Haiku, R1/Beta3 installer image

This farce is the blind leading the blind.

Rude.

Haiku has a good aesthetic, inherited from BeOS aid tastefully refined (by Stephan?).

OK

Do not let individuals that has no sense for graphical design ruin it.

One of the usual goals of a design contest.

The suggested graphics are hideous.

Unnecessarily harsh.

Leave the design part to individuals that know what they are doing.

You might have the knowledge and experience to be one of those people. Based on your comments in this thread, I expect you hold very strong opinions. When expressing your knowledge and opinions, please consider how best to educate and encourage others to remain involved. Without vitriol.

10 Likes

Gosh, where is this going to lead?
It is (ultimately) a completely nonsensical ‘discussion’!
… and a waste of time (= waste of resources).

Well, now at least one active developer knows how to edit stamp caption on Haiku logo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know, between riscv64, mesa, and our stamps you’re getting valuable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d just like to say thank you to Kallisti5 for organising this, and for all the other work he has been doing. There really are many much more important things to get upset about than this little competition.

19 Likes

How about just skipping all this and using a different style at random for every beta release from beta 3 onwards? This way, all of the top picks will have their time in the sun and we dodge this whole mess.

1 Like

This was kind of my thought (having a random community voted image every beta release)

However the way this thread went, I personally want nothing to do with community generated things going forward. (which is kinda sad)

I’m sorry to hear this. It seems mostly one or two people were harsh. Don’t take it to heart - you are doing great work with Haiku.

I think community contests are a good thing. It involves more people outside the core developers and lets the community contribute the way they can.

Perhaps there could be some team that can help with organizing things like this, moderating and accepting submissions, making sure competitions run smoothly? Perhaps a job for the new Promotion team? They could develop and make some standardized way to handle different types of community activities, as well as promoting and appreciating the people submitting entries.

5 Likes

Hi,

Well it was a minor mistake to forgot one option that turns out to be the most popular in the vote. Mistakes happens, and now it has been fixed.

I’m fine with community people contributing things, the question is more, how do we decide what to include? I think a simple rule is that the new thing has to be better than the existing thing. Judging from the vote results, in this thread, this was not the case.

There were also some interesting discussions about this in the Google Code-In general mailing list (as Google Code-In had a “design” category and several projects had a difficult time mentoring these tasks correctly). Basically the reasoning was something like this: if you want a new logo, first, you need to know what’s wrong with the existing logo, and clearly explain your problem. This works just like code: imagine someone submits a patch that rewrites some function. You ask them: “what are you fixing exactly?” and they say “I don’t know, I just think my code looks nicer”. What do you think? Is “nicer” code (a very subjective thing) ok to integrate? What if it introduces bugs and regressions?

Just like programming, graphics design is a difficult task. And it needs to start with a problem to solve. And once we have defined the problem to solve, I don’t see why we would turn to contests, instead of the traditional process of having one person make a submission, and then we iterate on it until we are happy with the result. Exactly what happened with our current logo in Installer: the original logo was designed by stubear, then reworked by stippi (adding gradients and shadows, slightly tweaking the font for better matching to the pixel grid and more even spacing), then by mmadia (the beta stamp, and the bugs under the leaves), and slightly touched by me in some cases (I removed the “glow” under the white-on-black logo).

So, ok, maybe that beta stamp is a bit “in-your-face” and not very subtle, especially in that bright red color. That was kind of the point when it was introduced, that was for the first alpha version of Haiku and at the time we wanted to be very clear that this was work in progress. So it was kind of our big yellow “roadwork in progress, drive carefully” sign. Maybe now with betas it is time to revisit this.

But, as you can see, this was not really stated in this thread, and as a result, a lot of the submissions went in completely different directions, defacing the logo and completely ignoring our trademark guidelines.

But now that we have a clearer idea what the problem is with the existing logo and why we may want to change it, maybe we can think about it more constructively. There may be other ways to convey the current “work in progress” state of Haiku. For example, what about having part of the logo itself look unfinished, with “sketch lines”?

Some example of what I mean here:

And maybe the darkmode version could use a blueprint look?

(do not directly reuse these images, I picked random things from Internet for example here and they are not appropriately licensed)

Now, doing that is probably a bit more work than the submissions we got here. But I think it could make sense, and maybe even be declined into a wallpaper for the beta releases, ensuring some kind of consistency in the whole Haiku theming.

Then, we can debate if we want to reinforce this “work-in-progress” looks and aesthetics. Is that the way to go? Or should we try to look more complete and finished instead?

8 Likes

I think PulkoMandy is right in that the task should be clearly defined; problems and goals. This is what I meant with having someone responsible for arranging such events.

MediaWiki recently changed their Logotype.
Project:Proposal for changing logo of MediaWiki, 2020 - MediaWiki

They describe the current issues and what they like to fix. Then there were some examples of previous challenges followed by a few rounds of voting.

Pinging @jt15s to see what the promo team thinks =)

1 Like

I agree with @PulkoMandy - competitions aren’t inherently bad but need to be well planned out.

The WIP looks and aesthetics proposed look good, and though our approach is arguably more cautious, I’d say Haiku is still WIP and the graphics should reflect that.

Thanks for pinging me @Forza - some competition ideas were planned, but after some feedback from PulkoMandy and a member in the Promotion Team, we decided not to go ahead with those plans.

But that concept of a competition sounds better and more coherent - it solves a problem/issue with clear goals. Our ideas were more aimed at encouraging people to do something.

Our ideas, for reference, were:

• an app making competition to encourage more development of native apps.
  • a Haiku competition where people could submit haikus (the poems) to be displayed around the OS.
1 Like

There is a difference between a call for contributions and a competition.

If you do a competition, usually the idea is that there is some prize for the winner. And, let’s be honest “we use your work without paying you” is not a prize. This is just coercing people into providing free work.

Doing call for contributions seems fine. And we should encourage collaboration rather than competition. Have people share their work in progress, discuss each other ideas, and team up if it feels appropriate. I think that would be way more interesting to see happen, and the results would also likely be better.

If we want to reward people for their work, for example on app development, probably we should resume the “Haiku thank you awards” that used to be run by Haikuware. The idea was to offer either a Haiku sweater or an equivalent payment of $50 to some app developer or otherwise Haiku contributor every month or every few months. There does not need to be any competition aspect here, and I think the “encourage people to write apps” aspect would still be there?

3 Likes

Good point.

Yes, this is a good idea. Collaboration is a very good idea too!

1 Like

I would think that having the honour of winning and the acknowledgement is good in most cases. Such as on the MediaWiki logo challenge?

Most contributions are of free will and of free time. I assume this is fine for a lot of people, including you who are active developers?

It’s different. The idea of a contest is that there is a winner and a prize. The idea of open contributions is to collaborate with people, have fun together, and learn new things.

My reward as a contributor is not that my code is accepted by other developers. My reward is the time spent learning things, discussing interesting ideas, meeting people, etc.

If the expectation was that I work alone, hiding my work from other contestants trying to do the same thing as I am, and hoping that my code is better than theirs and trying to not leak my ideas and approach before I’m done, I would certainly be working on something else instead. Not to mention what would happen if I did not, in fact, win the contest, and all my work would be, essentially, thrown away.

Now, I know competitive programming is a thing, and some people love it. But I don’t think it is compatible with the way we run Haiku.

1 Like

We are talking about the installer image here. Sure seems like a lot of unnecessary negativity over something fairly minor. Most people are going to see it very briefly. I don’t like some of the designs but I don’t feel the need to call them out and make the designers feel bad.

This was supposed to be something fun. I think it has been pretty thoroughly ruined by some people.

If we are giving our opinions I think continuing to use the red stamp and all the ladybugs is getting old and makes Haiku look worse than it is. Many people say our betas are better and more bug free than some released software. So along those lines I do agree that considering a blueprint theme like PulkoMandy suggests makes some sense. There are probably a 100 other ideas and themes we could consider. But I also feel like we are a bit late in the process to get something new. So maybe we stick with the imperfect but not terrible red stamp theme and iterate on it for next time.

I also think the whole competitive aspect did not work well here and we would have been better off to make it more of a collaboration. For example I think the Win8Linux_1 image is pretty good but the R1/beta 3 part is way too small, and could be relocated. Ideally we had some iteration on that, rather than having to accept the first submission. I think the same applies to other ideas.

It was probably all a bit rushed, but the piling on and insulting kallisti5 is not acceptable at all and is a great way to make a good contributor leave.

13 Likes

If it’s worth anything, I am fully open to collaborating with others on iterating the Tab concept further. I tried to make the font size bigger in a later iteration, but I’m still unsure if it is enough:
HAIKU logo - black on white - big - tab
Tried to make it as large as possible without changing the size of the Haiku logo itself. If it’s ok to change that aspect, then it would open up more possibilities on where the “Tab” can be and its styling.

In any case, here’s a link to the Krita file so that others can directly iterate on it further. Used Krita specifically since it allows for working on it on Haiku, Linux,

1 Like

In my sincere opinion this (and other community competitions) should have been aproached in different stages (Clasification, Quarters, Semifinals, Finals) with probably more longer voting times (3 days here isn’t enoght for example) and time for aplying feedback and submitting drafts. Anyways at least is good that the devs want the community to be more involved in the development even tough things go sideways.

Aslo if you want things to be fun why don’t start a brainstorm instread of a competition?

Font size is too small, it will be hard to read in Installer and AboutSystem.

1% voted for you. I think it’s me alone :sweat_smile: