USB 3g modem connection

Hello, there is a USB 3g modem huawei e3272, is it possible to connect it in Haiku? Is it possible to connect it via a router that supports usb modem?

Hello, there is a USB 3g modem huawei e3272, is it possible to connect it in Haiku? Is it possible to connect it via a router that supports usb modem?

I don’t know; have you tried? It might show up as a USB-ECM device, which we do have support for.

Hi! Tried to connect the modem in the alpha version of haiku, alas the modem did not work.

OK, what about the beta version? Please post a syslog and the output of listusb somewhere so we can take a look.

Unfortunately there are apparently various profiles in USB-ECM, one of which is an NDIS interface where you need specific driver for each device.

For 3G modems, this makes sense because you can’t handle them as just an ethernet device, you also need to send AT commands and the like to configure the 3G modem. They may show up as USB-ACM in some cases but then we’d need a working PPP stack.

Could you retry and check if your USB 3g modem shows up as serial port in SerialConnect app?
Otherwise, the output of listusb command on Terminal could help a bit to see how this device presents itself…

We don’t have, indeed, support for PPP networking, so except if it’s has some ethernet device over USB (aka USB-ECM), it won’t works under Haiku until we got our PPP stack on his feet.

No, we do; a rather large patchset was contributed and merged in 2015 which supposedly made PPPoE work. But I don’t have any way to test it…

Most “modem mode” on smartphone turns it into an USB modem. No needs for a specific USB mobile modem dongle for that.

Well, modern Android phones will be exposed as an ethernet device, where you don’t get to use PPP. I have an older phone (Nokia Symbian thing) that is exposed as a serial modem and needs PPP. If someone wants to experiment with that…

(personally I just use my phone as a wifi AP when I need Internet access, it ends up being a lot simpler).

Plugged in my 3g broadband usb stick and booted haiku, it blinks :slight_smile:

~> listusb
1bbb:022c /dev/bus/usb/0/2 “T & A Mobile Phones” “HSPA+ USB Modem” ver. 0000

…What now?

You can start writing or porting a driver.

1 Like

That’s a very useful and helpful response for someone who’s just asking for a bit of advice.

2 Likes

I thought we were in the other topic where I explained that in more details just yesterday: USB tethering : mobile internet - #3 by lelldorin not in one that had been dead since 2018.

Anyway, there isn’t much more to say, This is not supported yet, there is no driver. So besides writing a driver (or waiting for someone else to do it), there’s nothing you can do at this point.