Two newbie questions

I wasn’t sure I should ask those two newbie questions in different posts (as they are not related). But I see no reason to clutter the forum, so there they are:

1. Somehow, my wifi network settings are not remembered after reboot. I use a hidden SSID - but that doesn’t seem to matter, as I can connect without any problem. However after rebooting I have to select the network and retype the password again. I do so, I click on “Store this configuration” but no, next time I reboot I still have to set the network again. I guess this has to do with wpa_supplicant.conf, and I know how to set this in Unices, but not sure how to do the same in Haiku.

2. You never know an operating system reasonably well before you have at least some knowledge of its API. For that purpose, the documentation is the obvious reference point, but as it’s always the case that alone won’t be enough when you are still learning the ropes. I need some kind of tutorials together with the API documentation. At the moment I am using this one, but the author doesn’t seem to know the API well, plus the excessive use of the new operator is not a good sign to me. And one tutorial is not enough anyway. Any recommendations welcome.

IIRC on some config, network configuration starts to early and WiFi chip isn’t ready or something like that. People with this problem are usually using a script at boot as a workaround. wpa-supplicant.conf is no more used to store network credentials on Haiku, they are in keystore_database.

I can only answer for the second topic,saving the Wifi works just fine for me.
First of all,thanks for the link to the tutorial,I didn’t know about that one and it looks pretty easy to me.
Maybe you’ve already seen these two as they’re linked on the Haiku website,but I find them pretty good and very detailed:

• Learning to program with Haiku: Learning to Program with Haiku | Haiku Project This is meant for people who are rather new to C++ and explains everything from the beginning.I’m currently using this while experimenting with creating a own Haiku application (only playing around yet,don’t expect something exciting)
  • Programming with Haiku: Programming With Haiku | Haiku Project This one is meant for people who already know about C++ and want to learn Haiku-specifics and the BeAPI and such.I haven’t come that far yet,but it’s from the same author as the other and so I guess it should be good as well.
1 Like

Perhaps this will help with programming lessons in Haiku.

I don’t see anything wrong with it, why do you think that?

You may want to have a look at Learn to program with Haiku series and other resources available here and here.
HaikuArchives is a great source of applications.
Finally, you may want to give Genio a try as your development environment and perhaps help us improve it. Disclaimer: I’m one of the maintainers, you will certainly forgive this self-promotion here :grinning:

6 Likes

I don’t see what’s excessive about it in the examples in this tutorial. BWindow will autodelete when the window is closed, and will also delete all the widgets in the window. So there’s no choice but to allocate each of them separately.

The only excessive one is for creating the BApplication class, this one can be allocated on the stack.

For WiFi connexion after boot, have a look at this thread.

That was the part that confused me. What’s the reason for new and delete the BApplication App

I followed directions in this post and it partially solved the problem. I do see the “Connect to a WiFi network” window at boot with SSID and password already filled, but Authentication is set to “Open” instead of WPA/WPA2 and “Store this configuration” won’t do anything (next boot same situation). It works, but it is still annoying.

I you have a some c++ skills you must try a
The Be Book at the start a programing.

This one is interesting, and you definitely don’t need my forgiveness, as you did nothing wrong. :slight_smile:
One of the first things I did was to look for Haiku IDEs. I am using Emacs as an IDE, but I wanted to see what’s natively available and try it. I installed Genio and used it for my first experiments with the Haiku API. The fact it is based on Scintilla was a big plus for me to pick it up, as I was playing with Scintilla-based editors in the past.

What I did so far was just start with a simple API tutorial, then gradually add more features to it using the API documentation as a reference. The only thing that I didn’t need to spend time to learn was the IDE. Genio is easy to use and it did that job quite nicely! It gave me reasonable defaults for a new project, and from those I actually learned a few things I didn’t know, like the Haiku newbie that I am. However, I couldn’t find a way to change a few things, such as confirmation to save unsaved files before building a project, set tabs to spaces (or not). Autocompletion, Go to definition, Go to declaration are there but I couldn’t make them work and they work great.

One of the things you should consider is a way to add more language support. I realize Genio is for Haiku (thus C++) projects, but using a different IDE depending on the programming language is a pain, not to mention some projects are multilingual. This is one of the main reasons I am stuck with Emacs, actually.

Just the plugin framework (or whatever you want to call it) for adding language support should suffice. Some do this with scripting languages like Python, Lua, etc, but I think something simpler should be ok.
It doesn’t need to be anything fancy nor has to support many languages out of the box. This could be users’ job. For example, (modern) Fortran is the language I mainly use (it’s great for number crunching, but I wrote multimedia libraries with it as well, and they work great on Haiku). I wouldn’t expect developers to add Fortran support for me, as I realize it’s not exactly popular nowadays. But I would gladly do it myself, if Genio gave me the means to do so.

I hope it’s obvious the above were written with all due respect to the developers, and only as humble remarks. Every project should focus on developers’ vision, and whatever a random user (like myself) says should come third - not even second.

Last but not least, judging from the “About” window in Genio (which I found refreshingly special), we are una faccia, una razza, if that makes sense. :wink:

2 Likes

Have a look at Genio GitHub page, the Readme may answer few questions that you have.
As you will see, this is a quite recent project evolving fast. Enhancement requests and issues should be addressed there.

Thank you very much for taking some time to try Genio and provide feedback. Much appreciated!

It’s been added a few days ago in the main branch.
Unfortunately we don’t have enough time to frequent releases through HaikuDepot so the only way to get the latest features is to build Genio from the source code on GitHub. We are discussing the possibility to build on each commit and potentially ship nightly builds but we need an infrastructure with a Haiku build machine. Not an easy task.

Glad to hear you solved, clangd takes some time to index the code. We’ll probably need a way to notify the user when it’s done.

We definitely want to add that along with supporting other LSP for example for Python and C#.

This is in our to-do list, too. Not an easy one, though.

There are many other features we implemented already merged in the main branch.
Please give it a try and don’t hesitate to reach out if you need help!

You may want to join the itHUG Telegram channel here, then!

2 Likes

It’s possible to run Haiku in QEMU inside GitHub actions. Not very efficient, but possible.

There are some other projects doing this. Maybe they can comment on their experience about it.

1 Like

Many thanks! Look forward to hear about these