Thanks User Guide Team!

Since starting to dabble with Haiku I’ve read many forum threads, watched YouTube videos, and am finishing up going through the online User Guide. I just want to give kudos to all who have contributed to this guide; it is a big help!

Best,
…Monty.

8 Likes

I’m very happy with the environment here in general. The user guide team definitely deserves kudos, as do the developers who work tirelessly on this project. I’m especially thankful for the feedback on the forum. Kudos to all!

4 Likes

This seems to contradict the ages old wisdom that nobody Reads The Friendly Manual… :open_mouth: :smile:

4 Likes

Understanding this alternative definition of RTFM could present a minor hurdle for those coming from less pleasant systems. :joy:

2 Likes

For me, it gives Haiku a killer app. I was able to understand some advantages of Haiku from the videos and the discussions here, and I appreciate that I can use LibreOffice, graphic art tools, mail/contacts/calendar etc but these things I can do in other OSes. The Haiku killer app for me, I believe, is going to be the superior search/attributes system. And I needed to see it broken down to an embarrassingly simple level, to “get” that this system could offer something unique and useful, and with a short learning curve: superior organization for the large and eclectic collections of files my family has accumulated.

2 Likes

Excellent user manual as it covers the topics in logical order.

I like the country flag for changing the language for the contents. I quickly check the contents in languages I know and there were a few cases of partial translation. Maybe a note on how to volunteer to complete/polish the translation would help?

I think that eventually it would be great if the front page of the user manual consists of the top level topics with their explanations and the next level topics becoming visible via drop-down expansions. In this way, one could get an overview of the contents of the manual without having to excessively scroll the page.

1 Like

The entry point for localization and translation is https://i18n.haiku-os.org/
There are link to the relevant wiki pages and tools. Let us know if something is missing there.

I quote from the first paragraph of the Userguide starting page: :slight_smile:

If you find errors, would like to suggest topics or maybe even contribute yourself, please get in touch on the documentation mailing list. If you’re interested in helping with translations, you’ll find information on that at the i18n user guide wiki.

2 Likes

As a guy who uses Gnu/Linux alongside Haiku, I totally get the reference here. :slight_smile: I always think of ‘read the fracking manual’ instead of the obvious reference to the cuss word. :smile: I kinda like the ‘friendly manual’ idea as another substitute. :grin:

1 Like

I had unfortunately skipped over that portion of the first paragraph. A habit acquired from feed reading which assumes that paragraphs deal with only one topic - not two or three.