Test software for Haiku

I uploaded some non-official test software builds for Haiku.
Some of the software need further integration work with Haiku APIs.

See: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6xbte73n8odoucj/AABvLt47DOAHLjMz-D8jNhW4a?dl=0

Notes:

1. Otter-Browser 1.0.81 - works
  2. LibreOffice 6.4.6.2 - works
  3. Godot 3.2.2 - works, needs further Haiku integration
  4. Mesa 20.0.8 - passed unit tests, needs further Haiku integration
2 Likes

Rules for acquiring/running binaries from untrusted source should be considered.

2 Likes

Good day @cocobean,
imagen

Can’t install Godot as dependencies can’t be met. There is a libvpx in HaikuDepot though version is 1.7… or 1.8… (the bin one), too low to get Godot to install.

Regards,
RR

I fixed the issue. You can grab godot 3.2.2 now:
godot-3.2.2_cocobean
20200908_220710

3 Likes

Good day @cocobean,

Nice!!! There is a catch though: if you want to install anything from the Asset Store, Godot will complain that it does not have write permissions to a folder by the name of ‘godot’ inside /boot/home/config/cache (/boot/home/config/cache/godot). Basically, because it’s not there and the installer does not create, and when launching Godot, it does not create neither. Creating the ‘godot’ folder by hand on that location (/boot/home/config/cache/) allows to install any Asset package without issues. I need to get to the Haikbox to test on BM. On VM is damn slow and crashes. I need some free time to carry on some real tests.
Haiku needs to be on the latest nightly. Beta is a no go. I had to update the VM from the beta to the latest nightly in order for Godot to install.

There are already some Godot icons available, for the app, the GDScript filetype and the ‘project.godot’ filetype. I’ll send you the link when I’m at the Haikbox.

On the other hand, I tried to install, also on the VM, your Blender 2.82a package, and also complains about:
imagen
that libjpeg is not available on HaikuDepot.

Nice work! Kudos!
Regards,
RR

Good day @cocobean,

These are the icons:
screenshot4

And are available here:

And Godot running on Haiku with the 2D Lights demo:
IMG_20200909_165122509_BURST000_COVER_TOP1

Regards,
RR

libjpeg has been obsoleted by libjpeg_turbo for quite some time, blender probably needs a rebuild for it then …

Or creating a link from libjpeg_turbo to > non-packaged/lib > libjpg

libjpeg is already provided by libjpeg_turbo, only the version compat is different

1. https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/commit/506e9434abc342b8c3800acb8f010a1e531aa364
  2. https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/blob/master/media-libs/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg_turbo-2.0.3.recipe

Good day @cocobean,

There is another issue, related to update. Once installed the 3.2.2 version of Godot, SoftwareUpdater wants, and updates it to Godot v2, downgrading. Should not work this way I presume.

Thanks.

Regards,
RR

Turbo??? wow, that is so 1980’s… how about some GDI, TSI, maybe some eDrive or BlueHybrid, to be more modern… :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Seems we’ll have to wait.
Regards,
RR

There has been an issue related to this … https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues/4873

The SoftwareUpdater does a “full sync”, that means it will make sure your system only use packages that are in repositories. We made this because if we do a simple update, quite often people get stuck with an older version of haiku because some package needs to be downgraded or replaced during the update.

I think one solution for you is to install your other packages into home/config/packages instead of system/packages. This way the softwareupdater will not touch them.

2 Likes

While you’re testing you can update your system using pkgman in a terminal.
This way, you will be able to use pkgman update command instead which is not downgrading packages.
Cases where full-sync is needed are not so frequent and it should do the trick for at least a month or two.

Good Info, is this part of the user guide?

1 Like

Good day,

How? Just drop the .hpkg to that folder? Couldn’t be that easy… If so, that would allow, theoretically, to have multiple versions of same package… right?

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Why dont you try it?

Normally the home/…/packages folder (user packages) have higher priority.

? If you install a .hpkg I thougt it will always use the same paths for its install? Am I wrong here?

If you click on it and rely on HaikuDepot to install it, yes. But, you can also drop the package file in the package folder of your choice.