Godot on Haiku

Good day,

Actually I just started using Godot, not on Haiku yet, as on my 64b system is unusable. I met Godot thanks to Haiku, so for this third project on I will use Godot, with the “moving to Haiku” goal in mind. And in the mean time get to know Godot.

As of now, with Godot 3.0.6 (the one I’m using) still can’t export to Haiku, at least I’ve seen nothing about that just yet.

Edited:

Actually, I tried several times already to build Godot 3.0.6 on Haiku 64bit with no success whatsoever, with recipe, from source with scons… But my ignorance and lack of time are big hurdles in achieving any positive outcome as for now.

Not sure if the new version, Godot 3.1, which is about to come out will mean any improvement on that matter, but I will move the development to the 3.1 branch when it is released, stable.
As soon as I check if can export finished projects to Haiku, I think it would be a great improvement for the availability of New Games, as long as developers do offer the option. If it is available, I will. Fingers crossed.

Regards,
RR

2 Likes

This should be it’s own thread.

2 Likes

Good day,

With the work made by @cocobean and @CodeforEvolution, Godot 3.2.2 is starting to shape up on Haiku.

I’ve already posted here testing one of the available examples.

Today, I’m trying to do some “work” on a Game on Haiku and start facing the issues :sweat_smile:

Then, first things first, I need to know where to report these issues. Is this Godot for Haiku part of haikuports? I’ve seen nothing there related to Godot 3.2.2. Should be reported directly to the Godot project? @cocobean, @CodeforEvolution, let me know, so I can start reporting.

Regards,
RR

Good day,

With some hours left before the switch starts, I just came into this news:

For now it supposedly only works on Chromium based web browsers and Firefox. I tried with Firefox, Chromium, Brave and Edge without success. I also tried with WebPositive, of course I wasn’t going to leave WebPositive out of the testing, and no success neither.

Nonetheless, I’m still on track for the switching and start testing and reporting Godot’s issues on Haiku.

Sad thing though is that Godot removed Haiku as a game development platform from the website, while it was there before. Let’s see if we can change that in the next weeks, I’ll be testing and reporting any issue I face when using Godot on Haiku.

Their plan, though, is to get more browsers to be able to run the Godot Editor. But they state clearly:

This DOES NOT mean that we will move completely to the Web like other engines did. It will only be provided as a complementary option to the native editor, as a way to lower the entry barrier. Let me explain further.

Let’s hope that we can get it working on Haiku in the weeks to come.

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Our port ist toooooo old now

You can write a godot Editor in yab :wink:

I see that an editor is included in the godot options

Godot -e

(https://docs.godotengine.org/de/stable/getting_started/editor/command_line_tutorial.html)

Good day,

Testing out Godot on Haiku more seriously, I’m able to get Vim integration with Godot, to edit GDScript scripts:
screenshot6

with a demo project.

Problem is, that settings are not kept from launch to launch. I’ll start reporting this issue and others soon.

Nonetheless, Godot on Haiku is starting to shape up. Kudos @CodeforEvolution and @cocobean for your work!! Thanks!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Regards,
RR

8 Likes

Great work on Godot 3, hope it progresses further!

In all honesty, this is prolly not going to happen until Haiku gets some form of Vulkan support for Godot 4. Even CPU-only support might be enough.

I just installed and went to try Godot and ended up with an error: Missing libraries:libGLEW.so.2.1

Does anyone else find it humorous that we are still Waiting for Godot?

3 Likes

Copy libGLEW.so.2.2 from system/lib folder to config/non packaged/lib folder and rename it to libGLEW.so.2.1

The lib was updated…
Or you wait for Godot to be updated too

Why a old version does not exists a half year next by the new one past updating, to give the developer the time to switch to the new one? So programs does not break.

Because somebody made a mistake.
Instead of asking questions like this, one should report it at HaikuPorts, or should help to provide a fixed recipe.
Nobody did any so far.

1 Like

Good day,

Back on track with Gamedev and Godot on Haiku:
screenshot1

Imported the project I was working on before the switch, and yes, I can keep working on it on Haiku, though Godot is still a bit unstable and still no audio on Haiku.

Let’s see if I can complete the project (without audio) on Haiku.

Regards,
RR

4 Likes

Hmmm. What audio chip do you have? :smirk:

Good day @cocobean,

Problem is not the audio chip, it’s the cables… The speakers I have are the ones within the display, and display is plugged through DP and with the USB. It seems that audio is not supported yet through this kind of connection :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I’ve already reported this in the bug tracker last year iirc… :thinking:

I’ve been recommended to get some external speakers and plug them through the stereo jack audio connector from the mobo, but I don’t have external speakers :grinning:

Anyway, for now it’s not an issue. Most important is that I can get the project going in Godot and reporting evolution at the gamedev community so people can start to wonder wtf is Haiku :joy: :joy: :joy:

Thanks,
Regards,
RR

Good day,

And playing around with the .hpkg:

Godot

Get the Godot’s icon there, and also Godot 3.2.2 on the Deskbar. Just for testing in case have to have several versions (dreaming… :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:) installed at the same time.

I tried making two different packages unpacking the .hpkg and modifying some things inside the hpkgs and the .PackageInfo file without luck. Still need to do more research here.

All this was done inside the /home folder (/boot/home/config/packages) to not mess up anything.

Step by step.

Regards,
RR

1 Like

For testing, you can use my hpkgCreator. Here you can import a package and edit it, then create the new package. And you can store the package as project.

1 Like

Here are some screenshots from the newer Godot 3.2.4-rc1 package on Haiku:

godot-3.2.4-cocobean
godot_cocobean-demo
godot-3.2.4-demo_cocobean
20210207_231828
godot-platformer3d_cocobean-2
Note: Platformer 3D demo project tested.

Use this one mainly for bug kicking…

Update: I’ve add some links to the recent godot 3.2.4-rc1 builds:

6 Likes

Good day @lelldorin,

Yes, I know that hpkgCreator :wink: I first need to understand the package format and what implies each line for the package as a whole … :slightly_smiling_face:
Have to dig into the docs and the use your soft. Thanks for pointing that out. :+1:

Regards,
RR