[SOLVED] What happened to PoorMan?

Hello everyone,

I would like to create a very basic web server without any advanced features. My goal is to host an index.html file on my IP address. I came across the Haiku user guide, which mentions an application called PoorMan that seems to meet my requirements. However, I have been unable to locate it in either the Deskbar menu or the Depot. Could someone please help me in install PoorMan?

Thank you,
Chris

Poorman is definitely in the Haiku beta and nightly images. Have another look into /system/apps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found it! I use the greek translation of Haiku and it is translated to something like ā€œweb serverā€. I really expected to find it as ā€œPoorManā€. Thanks!

4 Likes

This actually brings up a good question for translation:

Should applications with proper nouns for names be translated into common noun names or retain the same name regardless of language for consistency?

Even if the name is translated, the original name of the program must be mentioned in the About box.

Translating program names is a nice thing for a target language if itā€™s done really well. But such work requires a good level of knowledge in both languages (and OS style), which is not so common nowadays, especially among non-professionals.

Yes. For some people it makes the system impossible to use if this is not done (Like my grandmother, who cannot use Haiku because the german locale decided to remove theseā€¦)

We have a dedicated settings explicitly for this

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. Thatā€™s what happens with most of open source pieces of software. Sometimes, though, the name of the software doesnā€™t make sense in other languages and it should not be translated.

When I started using computers, I didnā€™t know English at all, and of course there were no translated things into my language. Itā€™s been a long and pretty crazy journey for me. Lots of trial and error. Itā€™s like you were researching some alien technology. Thatā€™s what I liked about BeOS, that you could find out a lot just by digging around the system and reading little documentation (or not reading it at all, or guessing what it means, even Google translator didnā€™t exist then and the Internet was a rare and expensive thing).
But I had some technical background and interest for it. For people without it and without fully understanding language ā€” computer is just magical and usseles thing.

4 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m currently a language manager for the Greek UI translations. I was not a contributor for Haiku yet when this translation was performed.

The translation is accurate in the sense that it is literally ā€œWeb Serverā€, but I see why it might be confusing, as the app has its own name, PoorMan.

As such, Iā€™ve adjusted the relevant strings so that they translate to " Web Server PoorMan". Iā€™m open for discussion of a better variant, of course :-).

4 Likes

I think PoorMan is distinct enough to be left as is. Itā€™s not one of the essential applications anyway.

The name is a play on words, in that itā€™s ā€œthe poor manā€™s http serverā€ (POOR MAN'S... | dĆ©finition en anglais - Cambridge Dictionary), meaning it is not a big serious webserver.

Such things are not always easy to translate, if the target language does not have a similar thing.

And later on there was another HTTP server, named Robin Hood, because, I guess, it improves the situation of the Poor Man and makes him a bit closer to the rich one.

Independently of the translation, even in english, this is not the obvious way to name the app. BeOS was often not fully serious like this, maybe as a way to stand out from the other systems. Haiku retains some of it, personally I find it fun as long as it doesnā€™t get in the way of usability. Mayoe in this case it goes a bit too far?

3 Likes

I think itā€™s okay to have distinctive app names, but in the case of humour and puns a direct translation or even a close approximation might not be viable. In any case names such as PoorMan contain no hint of what the function of the app might be, so in theory it might make comprehension difficult even for those fluent in English (but not frequent Haiku users).

1 Like

ā€˜Poor manā€™ makes absolutely no sense as to what it actually is or does - & Iā€™m English, born & bred!

How do you expect people to know what its function is! No wonder few people try, & stick with Haiku.

Haiku is still only a relative novelty operating system to most computer users, who have even heard of it.

Personally, I like Haiku, but it is so different from ā€˜normalā€™ operating systems, that it needs every bit of help that you can give itā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

renaming it ā€œPoor manā€™s web serverā€ would probably clear this up nicely.

3 Likes

I suggest adding in Haiku popup messages with explanations to the icons in the apps menu.
For example: PoorMan is a simple web server application.

1 Like

Yepp, and in Haiku not all programs prepared to use the translated program names.
It turned out when I used one of the launcher programs (it was 8dock maybe or similar name) and it pinned the programs withoriginal name. For some one radius users this could be problematic if they search for the translated name as they know the program on their native language only ā€“ so as its translated name.

Let the missing crowds and herds of people be the biggest problem of Haiku !

I think you should wish rather bigger number of developers an investors of any levels that would join in to see the bold future to invest time and effort into Haiku.
No thanks ā€¦ no more people to would ask about how devs should really cloning Haiku toward their meanwhile abandoned ā€˜look and feelā€™ OS :smiley:

IMHO, no localisation is better than half-done or bad localisation.
A program name shouldnā€™t appear translated as long as it is not translated everywhere. Name that appears in the app menu, but also the system name and the name that appears in manual have to be the same. As long as you have one of these non translated, some people will be lost at a point or another. Of course, to ease things, we donā€™t translate them in same place. Without coordination, it can end up translated differently and it is even worse.

1 Like

I think that ā€œĪ•Ī¾Ļ…Ļ€Ī·ĻĪµĻ„Ī·Ļ„Ī®Ļ‚ Ī™ĻƒĻ„ĪæĻ Ļ„ĪæĻ… Ļ†Ļ„Ļ‰Ļ‡ĪæĻā€ or ā€œĪ¦Ļ„Ļ‰Ļ‡ĻŒĻ‚ Ī•Ī¾Ļ…Ļ€Ī·ĻĪµĻ„Ī·Ļ„Ī®Ļ‚ Ī™ĻƒĻ„ĪæĻā€ would sound better. What about you?

Just like ā€œApacheā€ or ā€œNginXā€. Which are the most used web servers. Or on the Browser side Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, none of these names say what these programs actually do. We are just used to it since they are popular. When learning about a new OS and new applications you have to learn about these things. Btw, all bundled applications are at least briefly described in our wonderful user guide if I remember correctly.

Imho, the names of applications should never be translated, except when the names are just descriptions like Mail.

11 Likes