[Solved] E-mail: IMAP does not work, POP3: APOP unsupported

The authentication is based on OAuth2, an open standard. It is used by Google, but also by Microsoft for enterprise accounts.

So there is no need to look at Thunderbird, just read the spec and implement it.

We can’t blame Google here, they are trying to proherly secure their user accounts (with two factor authentication for example) and that’s not easy to do while using pop or imap like we did in the 1990s

1 Like

Is Haiku going to implement this in the near future or not at all?

If someone works on it. There is no central planning to tell who or when.

I didn’t read anything about that on their website, other providers do say they don’t accept new registrations anymore, but not on disroot, they might just be understaffed .

I enjoyed using Netscape Navigator and later FireFox with Thunderbird for many years since Win 3x/95/98 and Mandrake Linux. I like Thunderbird because it is very easy to move between systems and later migrate to different OS’es.

I later used it in ZetaOS since my e-mail accounts were Netscape Mail (formerly CompuServe Mail), Yahoo Mail, and Hot Mail and the mail daemon could not connect to them or I had issues with it. Thunderbird filled the void and was easy to setup in ZetaOS and its use was consistent with the other platforms. (Unfortunately, the grand-fathered period has terminated and I cannot use it anymore in Zeta–so sad!)

Currently, Thunderbird just works after setting up POPand IMAP.

I believe someone stated elsewhere here that the mail daemon must be completely re-written to incorporate the latest security features and to future proof its design. Something I am waiting for to be updated in Haiku.

From a daily user/usage perspective, this is a blocker for many of us. I require Thunderbird or the mail daemon to be able to aggregate all my e-mail accounts in one application interface as I do now with Thunderbird using POP/IMAP (and without using app passwords).

1 Like

POP and IMAP are concurrent techniques for retrieving email iirc. So why both? I am puzzled.

Good question…I use IMAP for my primary repository to manage all my e-mail accounts and POP for my satellites installs.

Presently, Thunderbird in my Mageia Linux PC is primary where I manage the e-mails between the servers and its local repository (IMAP: deletes, archives, etc.) and the others in different platforms (e.g. WIn 8.1) I want one-way e-mail sync (POP3: just see the e-mails from the servers) in their Thunderbird installs.

Also, my statement is in regards to our collective need for both as a community as a whole.

My hope is to replace my Linux install with Haiku (once it is daily user capable for my needs and workflows).

1 Like

Yes, I see now. For me this is important, too: Because I have two email accounts, one of them google (gmail) on my smartphone. And yes, both IMAP and POP are important for the community.

I wonder why mail_daemon getting mail via IMAP from GMail with an “App password” works for me, but not for everyone. Works with my decade old account as well as one I created last year…

1 Like

I think it only works if you have two faotor authentication enabled?
And following the instructions exactly, of course.

It worked for me as well last time I tried (but I don’t actively use my gmail account anymore)

1 Like

Yes, I think so.

2FA? Does that mean every time the user is using POP or IMAP there are 2 factors checked? That seems strange.

No, it means that either, if you use the modern OAuth protocol to authenticate, that authentication (which is needed to set up a new mail client, or if something changes) needs two factors OR

If you want to use the “App password” feature for compatibility with older software like Haiku then Google requires that you first set up two factor authentication for your Google account and then explicitly tell it that you want this less secure way to access email anyway.

App passwords are also not available with Advanced Protection Programme, which is Google’s offering for people who want the most security even at some potential convenience cost, as necessarily the app passwords are less secure.

1 Like

Another alternative to using Gmail with imap is outlook.com. Imap works well with just a password. However, I found that it does not connect using TLS as the security setting. Using ssl works fine however

1 Like

I have done all that…2 factor aughentication and all…bloody gmail takes around in circles…no provision for app password

If anybody says it works then please post the procedure here…I will do exactly as asked and see if it works

in gmail help, it says " At the bottom of the page select App password"…Webpositive was not showing this…it said finished…(at the bottom of the page)

From Linux / Firefox I tried once. It was showing App password. Generatedapp password

came back to Haiku…entered the app password
When I select POP3, there is a message “fetching email…” later, it says “server does not support APOP”

When I select IMAP and try to fetch mail, nothing happens… no message is displayed
strange…

When I press " Check for mail now"…no response…App password entered…IMAP

POP3 selection is better…it shows some messages like Fetching Email, server does not support APOP…

I was capturing the screens for generating the app password, but it seems you got it now.

Ok, if you already have the app password, configure the pop setings for your account. By the way, you did enable POP in your gmail account, right ?

Then for servers
"pop.gmail.com "
smtp.gmail.com

smtp port 587 and pop port 995. With ssl enabled if possible.

Not on a Haiku machine now, so copying from Outlook Express configuration

2 Likes

Also, if you can try Beam, just to see if it will download messages

It’s really a shame that Disroot didn’t respond to the account requests,anyway,why are you all insisting so hard on using Gmail?
It’s a privacy nightmare,has always been,and in 2023 surely that isn’t a secret anymore.
Some helpful stuff to read:

Feel free to ask me if you need some additional privacy-respecting mail providers that offer IMAP and SMTP access.

1 Like