[Solved] Any nextcloud/owncloud sync client?

Hi all.

I have a question:

Well, part of my daily workflow consists in edit/create files in a nextcloud server.

Has haiku any app to sync those files? at this moment working on a USB pendrive (with the risk that supose)

Thanks in advanced!

2 Likes

You could try to compile the official client: GitHub - nextcloud/desktop: đź’» Desktop sync client for Nextcloud

4 Likes

Hi.

Compile fails…

I dont know about that. Im not developer … Later Will be post a log

Just gave it a try to see if I could compile it. Apart from the dependencies mentioned on the github page I had to install a few additional packages on my nearly fresh install of Haiku x86_64 nightly. Here’s the complete list of packages:

• qtkeychain_devel
  • cmake
  • qt5_tools
  • qtwebengine_bin_devel
  • sqlite_devel
  • karchive_devel
  • libsrvg

There are a few optional libraries, I’ve ignored them for now.
Now cmake stops because it requires inotify, which, being a Linux facility, we obviously don´t have.

Do we have some kind of compatibility or translation layer that emulates inotify on top of our native node monitoring API? Has anybody encountered an inotify requirement while porting software to Haiku and found a solution?

Maybe the nextcloud desktop can somehow be built without inotify, I didn`t dig deeper into that.

8 Likes

Line 210 in CmakeList.txt, change to

if(UNIX AND NOT APPLE AND NOT HAIKU)
3 Likes

I’ve tried to build it a few weeks ago, but I didn’t found a way around the inode dependency (well, i hacked something together to get an executable, but it crashes immediately).

But you can access the Nextcloud files using WebDAV, we have „cadaver“ for that, but I didn’t tried it yet

2 Likes

My guess is that this file needs Haiku’s specifics:

desktop-3.11.0/src/gui/folderwatcher_linux.cpp:17:10: fatal error: sys/inotify.h: No such file or directory

EDIT, just saw there is haikuports/net-misc/owncloud-client in the repo with patches related to this, didn’t fully investigate, but could be a start to get this fixed?

3 Likes

Thanks @Begasus and @Master199 for your help. Since I´m not a nextcloud user myself I´m not overly motivated to look any further into this but maybe it can serve as starting point for someone else.

Then again, writing an inotify compatibility library for Haiku would be a cool project. We´ll see … :wink:

1 Like

There are OS specific folderwatcher implementations for Linux (inotify), Mac OS and Windows. Probably wouldn´t be too complicated to write a Haiku specific implementation using our native node monitoring api.

2 Likes

That is what has been done here:

7 Likes

I’ve tried to adapt the patch to the new version of the nextcloud client. After some tweaking and adding a few lines here and there, it compiles fine. But i still get a missing symbol (_Z8c_utimesRK7QStringPK7timeval), i try to look in that in the next days.

6 Likes

screenshot1

I’ve got it to build and it works. Next i try to write a recipe and create a patch.

I couldnt figure out how to fix the missing symbol during runtime (from above). i had to deactivated the whole function to “solve” that problem. It bothers me, everything seems to be in place, but something is still wrong…

20 Likes

Oh wow!!!

Thank you!!! :innocent:

Wow this is huge! Thanks for the collective effort! Should get my new NAS soon (Storaxa Kickstarter project) and could really use that…

Is the repo with your changes accessible online?

No, but i try to get the recipe and patch ready as soon as possible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But to what extent can you rely on NextCloud? I don’t mean security/privacy but file integrity. A few years ago I remember a friend who put it on a server saying it was a bit buggy. Is it solid these days? To be fair, even Apple’s iCloud was considered rather wobbly in the early days but seems to have improved. I just need my file synching services to be really solid…

… a heart is not enough here :wink: Thank you very much!

Back in the day it was quite horrible. Nearly every major upgrade was crashing and uploading large directories was painful. But the last years and versions were quite smooth. I’m using it daily with Linux, Mac and iOS-clients and it’s very stable.

2 Likes

Good. This will be a boon for Haiku.