So what is your other OS?

I’m sure that most of the people here are using a non-BeOS/BeOS based OS, at least some of the time, so my question is what are you using?

I’ll start:
Microsoft Windows 2000 sp4, with BlackboxLean* replacing the default Windows WM.

*This in no way means I like Linux, it just works better.

I use MS windows 2k. I’m thinking same as you. At least when they put vista out, I should put my ass on linux and learn using it.

There’s so much better support for everything except games in linux… And less featureles feature creeping.

Windows XP for me.

Concerning Linux, I just have to claim "philosophical differences" with the Linux community and leave it at that. Because apparently they want their OS to be the way it is now.

I use Windows XP as my main, day-to-day OS. But I have a box for Linux and one for BeOS, too. When Vista comes out and XP becomes unsupported, I don’t know what I’ll do… probably go back to DOS. :lol:

Debian Stable, but I upgraded to a 2.6 kernel (needed to recompile to get alsa working anyway, you know how linux can be!). Oh, and Xfce4 is my windowmanager; I’m not a fan of KDE or Gnome, at least for the way I use my computer.

Just inherited some new parts, thinking about doing a fresh install and moving to testing or unstable. Until very recently I also had an old machine running BeOS full time, but I believe the hardrive (very old) died on me. Gotta get that back up and running when I have a chance.

Anyway I’m suprised everyone so far is on windows. I would have expected a bigger showing from OS X, and maybe a Linux guy or two like myself.

I have no "other" OS - I quad boot XP, Ubuntu Linux, Zeta, and R5 Max Edition and keep each around for various reasons, and unless you have a dying need to use Zeta, such as for the hardware support, R5 Max is the way to go IMO.

My main box is WinXP purely for game compatibility. I also have slackware, alinux, suse on other boxes. I have an old p1 that doesn’t currently have a hd because the old trusty 1gb analog finally died on me. That’s the one i used to run BeOS on and hopefully i can get Haiku on it in the near future after i get a new hard drive.

OS X and Linux.

Oh yah, and I have my old p1 IBM notebook that I dual boot Win98 and BeOS max on.

For me, it looks like this:

Winows XP, to work with (Video Post Production)
Ubuntu Linux, for Surfing an all other Stuff
BeOS R5 and Zeta, for "have some fun!"

Maybe when Haiku R1 is there, it will change! :wink:

Kanten

Cheery wrote:
I use MS windows 2k. I'm thinking same as you. At least when they put vista out, I should put my ass on linux and learn using it.

There’s so much better support for everything except games in linux… And less featureles feature creeping.

Hahaha Bull. For starters Linux is a Kernel, Windows is a full-blown Desktop OS. Windows has alot of crap ("MicroGunk"), but if you follow most of the Gnu/Linux Distributions you’ll find they do the same. This is area of computing that will be redefined by Haiku.

I use Windows XP for most of my tasks, but also have FreeBSD6-Stable installed on my Main SATA drive.

And on a 40GB (Removable) Drive:
BeOS R5
BeOS R5 - Anything Unnecessary
BeOS R5 + BONE
Haiku

I also have BeOS Dev 1.1 (With updates) on my laptop.

Unforutnetly i have never been able to develop on my main machine due to it’s problems with BeOS (Although it does run :), and my laptop overheats within 10-15 minutes WITHOUT straining the processor…
Hopefully i will in the near future get a new Laptop, in which i can use to develop stuff for BeOS/Haiku :D.

DarkWyrm wrote:
I have no "other" OS - I quad boot XP, Ubuntu Linux, Zeta, and R5 Max Edition and keep each around for various reasons, and unless you have a dying need to use Zeta, such as for the hardware support, R5 Max is the way to go IMO.

I could never get R5 Max to boot, so I use Dev’s Ed… anyone know what the differences are between Max and Dev’s Ed?

Zeta 1.1, WinXP, Haiku. Zeta beeing the primary.

XP for Limewire, gaming :slight_smile:

• XP for Gaming

• OS X for Music and Video

• BeOS/Haiku for Coding

Sikosis wrote:
+ XP for Gaming
  • OS X for Music and Video

• BeOS/Haiku for Coding

wow! pretty sure Sikosis has it made. :smiley: couldn’t get much better than that. good job man :wink:

On my computer, I have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise for games, Gentoo Linux for everything else, Ubunutu Linux for when I didn’t have DSL and Gentoo was useless, and Zeta for the occasional BeOS experience and eventual coding.

1. BeOS R5.03 with Tracker.NewFS for everything

2. Haiku for testing

3. Nothing yet, but thinking about throwing in PC-BSD just for fun

Everyday, all day…

Server 2003, cripled down to desktop / workstation status. I am actually very happy with it performance / reliablility wise on my old hardware. If / when I EVER get a new pc built, R5 and haiku are going on my old one (dual P3 866…still running strong…)

I’ve been rockin the dual P3 since 1998 with no problems.

Gentoo Linux –> For gaming, media editing, document editing, mediaplaying, development, running servers of various kind, basically everyday use. My primary system.

Syllable 0.6.0a --> Testing and coding, for the fun of it
SkyOS 5 Beta 10 --> Testing, for the fun of it
BeOS R5Max --> Testing, for the fun of it
eComStation 1.2 --> Uuhh… Once you’ve tried OS/2 you almost never go back :wink:

Windows XP Pro w. SP2 (downgrading from Win2K3 Standard Server w. SP1) --> Only used for Counter-Strike or Video Sessions in MSN Messenger :twisted:. Have stopped using Windows after the downgrade.

Used to have a Haiku-system, but it was removed in order to get some space for eCS.

old topic but…

• ZETA Neo temporarily due to hdd fail on main system
  • BeOS R5.0.2 Pro + BONE on my IBM Thinkpad
  • XP for gaming on my sister’s computer :wink: