Single board computers

hello,

i am curious to ask how is Haiku about Single board computers. if there are some images to try or where can i see info about development.

Thank you for help.

sorry what do you mean by single board computers?
A common PC?

1 Like

As long as it’s Intel or AMD based, it should work (with caveats). There is no working ARM build of Haiku yet (that I know of), so you won’t be running it on a Raspberry Pi (or Orange or whatever other fruits are out there now).

Most of the issues come from the supporting items, like video, sound, and networking. I’m now running Haiku on a Kodlix N42D (roughly the size of 2 Raspberry Pi 3b+) at 1080 resolution. The only issues are that the Wi-Fi isn’t recognized at all and the Ethernet doesn’t work (it doesn’t believe there is an active cable plugged in). I get around that by using a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter (plugged into a USB 2 port).

So, if you can find a X86 or X86_64 single board computer where everything else is supported, you’ll be in good shape with the Beta or the nightly builds.

2 Likes

Here is a cheap X86 board https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Pi-High-Speed-Peripherals/dp/B07N298F2B/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=e074d-20&linkId=4aedf06c22e88df8d42ea2fb977a2a7d&language=en_US

I am populating an old A500 case with multiple OSs / boards and I want to include Haiku as well. At first glance is there any reason Haiku would not boot on the above?

ZBox ID-18 works.

We don’t have an eMMC driver yet, so you will at least have to boot from USB.

Ir can boot from a USB, unlike the R-Pi. I will give it a try and post the result.

Hi,

Where I find a milestones or steps to Haiku port ARM ? What is needed at now ? I have made a small recognize I find a presentation by mr Revol

Is nice bad is from 2015, now we have a 2019. What is change ?

Meanwhile, I found a gsoc2020 goals

The ARM port of Haiku is currently in an early state. This project may involve debugging of other issues in the port to get it running further, so the device tree part can be tested. Several parts of the early boot code should be reviewed to make use of the device tree and remove hardcoded addresses (RAM mapping, framebuffer, serial port, etc).

Not much has changed because the few people interested in only have the time to fix what broke since the last time they looked at it.

The current state is we cannot get the UART on the Raspberry Pi 3 to work for some reason, which is of course a big problem for any debuggign attempt. The sparc and even PowerPC ports are in better shape at the moment, if that says something about it.

For ARM64 (which seems to be the way forward, now), there are various patches on Gerrit which went through a first run of review, so one can take these and apply the review comments and update the patches, so they can be merged. And then we’ll have a clearer idea what state we’re in.

2 Likes

Sorry, but my RPi 3 burn out, yesterday. I connect a temperature sensor in a wrong GPIO Pins. But I have a geek idea about FDT, we must a construct a HDT (Haiku Discovery Tree) where a devices show up in a installation process of the system dedicated a self device like my burned RPi. It’s like Plug&Play from PCI system, but it’s a generate a blob file about a devices in single board system.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I have the Atomic Pi (It’s what I’m using to post this message, running the Haiku OS and Web+).

BTW: Thanks go out to the Haiku team for putting UEFI into beta2 so that I can use the Atomic Pi! As Pulko Mandy pointed out, it boots only on a USB stick and not on the Atomic’s microSD slot.

Performance wise, so far I only have only WebPositive to give me an idea about that aspect - but I’d say it’s definitely not as fast as the ASUS mainboard I had a couple years ago. It’s definitely useable tho - no doubt. That’s an apples and oranges comparison, since the Atomic is an SBC (low battery drain, acceptable performance in some cases).

But - it’s great to be back on Haiku after couple years without Intel.

2 Likes

That is great feedback. I have actually decided to go the motherboard route and build a Haiku laptop. I think the OS suits a single user device like that and creates more utility over a virtual Haiku instance than an SBC.