R1/beta2: Here We Go

Well, we had planned to release an R1/beta2 in the fall of last year, but for one reason and another, that never happened. But things have changed in the past few months; a lot of long-standing, annoying issues have finally been resolved (e.g. USB3 booting), and so we have
now established a genuine schedule for R1/beta2 which ends in releasing on May 31 (or thereabouts.)

There is one blocking issue in the R1/beta2 milestone with an already-existing patch, and a few other blocking issues elsewhere (OpenSSL rebuilds) that have fixes already in progress.

I’ll be serving as Release Coordinator again, with nielx as my “understudy” of sorts. Stay tuned for the RCs and testing phases to being according to the schedule.

41 Likes

Knock it out of the park!

1 Like

Excellent news.

Amazing! Very glad to hear it:) Go for it!

Great news, I just installed Haiku this past weekend and I’m loving it so far. Will the new beta include drivers for wireless network adaptors or will they still need to be added using the script?

The drivers for wireless network adapters are already included, the script just downloads firmware files for some (very) old Intel and Broadcom chips which are under especially restrictive licenses. If you have basically any hardware from the past 10+ years, it will work (or not) without running the script as the firmware needed for those are already included.

(Specifically, the broadcomwifi..., iprowifi2100, and iprowifi2200 drivers need the firmware that script provides. If you have any other hardware, e.g. atheroswifi, iprowifi4965, etc., you don’t need the script.)

Ah ok, I understand now. I’ve been trying to get the script to run on another computer because I don’t have a way to plug my Haiku machine into an Ethernet cable. I’ll just keep trying to do that, as my WiFi adaptor is a Broadcom. Thanks for the clarification!

It’s highly likely you have a newer Broadcom that is unsupported altogether, then, unfortunately.

Yeah, I’m realizing that as I’m reading the documentation. My WiFi chipset is a 4360 so no go. Luckily, this is a project machine so I’ll keep tinkering. Thanks for your help!

Hello

I’m a new user I immediately realized the 2d / 3d acceleration of the graphics cards that does not exist and you have to use the vesa mode, this is not a problem, but in the next beta there will be something about it

hello everyone and thank you

No, not in the next beta, at least.

thank you very much

How different will the next Beta be from a nightly with any updated through SoftwareUpdater applied? I ask because I just re-partitioned my hard drive and I have an empty partition I was going to install a nightly on… if it’s worth waiting, I’ll wait and use one of the two others I already have installed.

If you are already on the “Nightly” branch, you will not see big difference when Beta 2 arrive. Also, you can change the branch (from nigthtly to beta and viceversa) just changing the repositories configuration (at Preferences).

1 Like

betas are built in release mode, that means they use no debug flag on compilation, the about system shows Haiku instead of Walter and will include some nice starting guides on desktop

1 Like

Excited to see R1/beta2 release!! :smiley:

soon, very soon we get Haiku R1/Beta2!

1 Like

I’m testing the haiku-r1beta2-hrev54154_31, it’s very good, but I wanted to run it as a live system and use it on various computers. The problem is there is almost no space left on the partition. Would it be possible to leave more space (a few hundred Mb)? Or is it possible to resize the partition once it’s been copied on an USB key?

You can use the Installer to install it into another USB key, or also, in the empty space from the same USB.

1 Like

It is also possible to install Haiku to USB disk from virtual machine that support attaching host machine USB devices such as VirtualBox.

2 Likes