R1/beta2: Here We Go

Oh yes, that’s a pretty good idea! (from both of you). Why didn’t I figure it out myself? :thinking:

I’ve looked again, there is only 6 Mb left on the partition. Wouldn’t it cause problem (for swapping on the live system)?

On the first usb I’ve set up, I decided for format the empty space to get some space for storing my stuff. I’ve also removed a few packages (translations of the user guide). After that, it could no longer boot.
I’ve tried to install it again from an installed haiku system on a laptop computer, but it didn’t fix the boot.

On the second usb, I’ve removed only the packages and it’s still working.

I’ll install my current live-system on an other usb key!

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that besides removing unneeded userguide translations (~85 MiB), you can also remove the optional packages (~108 MiB) stored at /boot/_packages_ from your live-USB.

2 Likes

I’ve tried to install Haiku from the installation usb key, to an other usb key (I had formated the new key using the DriveSetup, using one Be Partition on the whole disk), but it didn’t work as expected: when I boot on the new key, I get a “bios_ia32 stage1: Failed to load OS”.

I think that they would we installed again by running system update?

No, they wouldn’t.

Try to initialize the disk using Intel Partition Map (MBR) using DriveSetup.

thank you, but it didn’t work better. After the installation on the 2 Gb usb key (460 elements were copied), during the boot I don’t even see the boot animation, only a blinking cursor.

100965306_188860782333127_4566110252138758144_n

The first time I’ve launched the original usb key, it proposed me to run either directly the installer or the live desktop, and the second time I only had the live desktop. Then I’ve run the installer from the live desktop, I don’t know if it changes something.

Until BFS resize works reliably, a pragmatic solution would be to EMPHASISE on the dowload page to have 2 USB sticks handy - one for a mimimum sized image (which can be used to test the OS), which is designed to be small and fast to dowload, and a second larger USB stick for actual target installation. I have a 64Gb USB3 stick which works great for this, has additional packages (Krita, LibreOffice, QtCreator, OpenArena etc) to actually demo the OS.

1 Like

I’ve tried again with another usb key (8 Gb), I’ve installed it from virtualbox this time. Initialised with DriveSetup “Intel Partition Map”, then created a BeOS partition filling the whole disk. Installed from the installer. Now I got a “reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” when trying to run the key on my computer.

I guess that it is standard message from BIOS when you try to boot with a media that is not bootable. For example, if you try to boot from CD/DVD but there is a CD audio in.
It means that it doesn’t find a bootloader.
Try to install bootmanager manually at the end of installation. If I remember well, it is in “Outils” menu.

1 Like

Have you marked the partition as “active” in DriveSetup? This is needed if you’re booting from BIOS.

I don’t see any need to install Boot Manager, unless you want to boot multiple OS from one disk.

Can you try to install BootMan? Also if your PC is 64 bit you can install EFI boot loader: https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/uefi_booting.

It is the only way to write boot sector in mbr. Marking partition active isn’t enough.
It also means that you need to wipe that if later you use the media for something else.

1 Like

The default MBR should already contain a standard boot sector which will boot the first active partition unless there was another boot loader written to it. And in this case you can always install a default MBR under Haiku with the “writembr” command. Just to be clear, I don’t have anything against Boot Manager but I still think it is not needed in this case. All of the above of course assumes that @farvardin is booting from a legacy BIOS. If it is UEFI instead, then the above link by @X512 applies.

Some buggy BIOSes work only with BootMan.

2 Likes

Ah, alright. I didn’t know that. Guess I was lucky with my computers so far :slight_smile:
Thanks for the info

@Starcrasher Thanks for the tips, it works now with Boot Manager!! Now I have what I wanted.

For the record, my bios should probably work without boot manager, because there is no menu when I start the live system from the haiku-r1beta2-hrev54154_31-x86_gcc2h-anyboot on my usb key (on the same computer), it boots straight from the key.

After the installation, the installer said something like “the boot sector was written on “Haiku”.”, so I assumed it would write what was required to boot.

Thank you all for the help! You’re awesome!

Anyboot image and partition table/volume created by DriveSetup have different structure that can be handled by BIOS in different way.

This is a great example of terrible user experience.

3 Likes