Progress on running Haiku on VisionFive 2

It was fixed in new dm2 branch versions. But latest version seems have vf2 boot regression.

No, latest firmware have broken UEFI GOP framebuffer driver, so it require OS graphics driver for VisionFive 2 that is currently not implemented. Even after graphics driver will be implemented, there will be no bootsplash because it use firmware framebuffer and graphics driver is not started yet.

3 Likes

Haiku hrev57311+155 (dm2):

• VisionFive2 Software v5.11.3 - :fox_face: (needs further review and testing)
  • VisionFive2 Software v3.1.5 - :white_check_mark:

What is this fox about?
fox_face

May require a bit of cunningness or cleverness to find the issue(s).

1 Like

Problem is quite clear: new versions of firmware shutdown GPU framebuffer after exiting UEFI boot services, so generic Haiku graphics driver is not working. In order to fix problem it is needed to make firmware to not shutdown framebuffer as dictated by UEFI specification (need changes on firmware side that Haiku have no control) and/or implement Haiku graphics driver for VisionFive 2.

2 Likes

Ah, nice, makes senseā€¦
We will meet the Fox then more often now, I suppose!

Get the bugs, get them all:
fox_face

what is better, native haiku gfx driver or UEFI framebuffer driver?

The efi framebuffer driver does not allow to change resolution after booting. At the moment this is pretty much the only difference.

1 Like

Would it be crazy to wrap the Linux modesetting driver for that (and for any other simple modesetting drivers)?

In old computers work on vga driver and switch do ā€œdesktopā€ gfx driver when system is loading. Now in computers world use a UEFI Gfx Driver on desktop ?
Iā€™Think beter is primary solution with a framebuffer (VGA driver) itā€™s to be a compatibility with older post-embbeded (SBC) systems.

This could be developed into a separate topic.

When a mmc will be work ? I work on hrev ā€œofficalā€ version of image on NVME. Both of power led shine and green led shine, when loading a Haiku Riscv version. Thatā€™s all. And donā€™t see a desktop screen.

Insulting people is a curious way to expect help from them. Feel free to edit your post to remove the incivilityā€¦

4 Likes

I donā€™t own a VF2. Iā€™d like to know from people owning it how it feels, how it performs. What does Haiku riscv lack compared with standard Haiku x86?

Iā€™ve not tried it in a couple of months but it was very unstable, I couldnā€™r get any sofrware to build (the Haiku dev package doenā€™t get installed by default) and there are no pre-built packages for it beyond whats included in a bare Haiku install and not even all of the standard Haiku nighly packages are available on rv64 yet such as web+.

The ethernet kinda works but you have to have a serial cable attached to activate the eternet adapter in u-boot before you boot into Haiku and so on.

TLDR; its not really usable yet.

Iā€™ve not used it a ton but have not seen crashes other than the known issue with disconnecting USB devices. USB and input devices have been problematic for me since out of all the devices I tried many that have worked in other Haiku installs refused to here. Iā€™ve been thinking Iā€™d like to try compiling Barrier (ex-Synergy) to get over that particular hurdle for now.

Greetings all. I have a moved into a new house, and now have a few minutes to play with things. On my new linux system, I receive the following error. Iā€™ve been searching for some reason uversion.h canā€™t be found, but nothing helps. Any chance anyone has seen this before?

ā€¦/src/kits/locale/Collator.cpp:8:10: fatal error: unicode/uversion.h: No such file or directory
8 | #include <unicode/uversion.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

I have tried to checkout X547 device_manager2, rvvm, and several other branches to see if they help, but they do not.

I have tried to compile iuc from source, installed all the dev libraries, but nothing seems to work. Iā€™m sure its a file placement issue, please advise.

EDIT: Ok, with jam -q it immediately fails, with out -q, it will complete the ā€œcreating the packageā€, but the build will still fail. Thoughts?

-q means quit on fail, without it it continues after a fatal error.

Sorrry, it was late and I was unclear. I should say that is the only error, and I am unable to resolve it. It fails multiple times, so even if I find the uversion.h file, I am unsure where to put it so the compiler is happy.

So, that file is found in the icu66_devel package, so you should make sure you have it (or another version of icu_devel) installed.

If you already have it installed, then you may need to run ./configure again.

It seems my branch use old ICU version that do not match upstream one. Updating repo definition file is needed.