Progress on running Haiku on VisionFive 2

X512 hasn’t created a haiku devel package yet.

There are ony two gcc packages, gcc and gcc_syslibs and I’ve got both installed. There are no libc_devel or haiku_devel packages for rv64 yet.

Do you remember what it was you contributed to the Uzebox repo extrowerk?

The actual reason SDL’s configure fails to run is:

gcc: fatal error: cannot execute 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

Really? It should be generated when @nightly-raw target is selected.

Its not listed as being installed or available under Haiku depot no.

It should be available after compiling Haiku. HaikuDepot app is not very useful, packages are usually already present at moment of system install or should be compiled manually.

What do you mean by “It should be available”? Via Haikudepot? Do I need to adjust the haikudepot config somehow?

It should be available in “generated” directory after compiling Haiku or in optional packages in Haiku image. Optional packages can be selected in Installer.

You can run something like find . -name haiku_devel.hpkg -type f to find exact HPKG file location.

2 Likes

had to nuke it but will rebuild it later.

I see:

./generated.riscv64/objects/haiku/riscv64/packaging/packages/haiku_devel.hpkg

It will be a chiplet SOC with lots of ram attached directly to the SOC and just as much extensible ram. it will be a pretty big SOC,bigger than the AMD EPYC processors actually…

That would be cool, but I would be happy with a smaller SBC that I can use to breathe new life into old laptop housings, especially the weird / quirky old “toughbook” style devices that are cheapily available due to bios lock. A few mods on those things (passively cooled + full aluminium / magnesium housing) and they’d be great “workstations”. Probably the more difficult stuff would be to get the display already installed working with that…

1 Like

I installed this by copying it into /system/packages/ under Haiku but configuring SDL is getting no further as it seems that package doesn’t include as or a substitute command.

1 Like

I have my doubts that USB mass storage is working properly just yet under Haiku rv64. I have got Tracker to successfully mount FAT32 USB disks and I can browse them OK using tracker but whenever I try to cat a text file or copy a file from the USB disk to anywhere I get Bad address errors.

I had tried to install haiku_devel.hpkg by copying it from a FAT32 USB disk but I don’t think that is a viable option yet. I’ll have to copy it onto my haiku disk using Haiku x86.

2 Likes

After a long hiatus I came back to play with this. I followed Clee’s instructions above and got Haiku booting on NVMe on my VisionFive 2 but it hangs at the third icon (devices).

It seems to hang at MMC Bus manager. Any pointers ? I built from the latest hrev (57649). Should I build an old one to match the device_manager2 branch ?

(I have tried with the latest firmware, but also 3.04. I am not sure if the issue with firmwares earlier than 3.1.5 is still happening?).

Took me a while to understand it would boot on SSD with 1-0 and on NVME with 1-1 . To update the images I usually just boot to Debian on the SD card and DD it to the second partition

Here’s the end of the serial output:

DeviceManager::DoDPC
0xffffffc0073e9510.DeviceNodeImpl::Probe("MMC Bus Manager")
0xffffffc0073e9510.DeviceNodeImpl::ProbeDriver("bus_managers/mmc/driver/v1", 0)
  fState.multipleDrivers: 0
MmcBusDriver::Init()
mmc_bus: Reset the bus...
[!] MmcDriver::ExecuteCommand: timeout when executing command
mmc_bus: CMD0 result: Operation timed out
[!] driver do not support device or internal driver error
[!] failed to probe driver "bus_managers/mmc/driver/v1" for node "MMC Bus Manager"
DeviceManager::DoDPC
0xffffffc0073e9390.DeviceNodeImpl::Probe("MMC Bus Manager")
0xffffffc0073e9390.DeviceNodeImpl::ProbeDriver("bus_managers/mmc/driver/v1", 0)
  fState.multipleDrivers: 0
MmcBusDriver::Init()
mmc_bus: Reset the bus...```

Edit: Reading my own message I start to think I shouldn’t have built the mmc image to run from a nvme disk ?. I am a bit confused :-)

MMC driver is still experimental. Inserting some SD card (possibly empty) may help.

I am not sure what empty means in this contact ?

I tried putting in a 16GB card freshly formatted as empty Fat32 and it didn’t change.

So far I tried minimal-mmc, nightly-mcc (writting on top of the minmal partition after deleting and recreating it).

I tried firmware 304 ,304 and the lastest 5xx series. They all worked in the same way it crashed a the point mentionned above.

So I guess at this point the reasonable thing is to try a hrev of when Clee posted the process above. Any better idea ?

I don’t see any crash in log that you provided. Do you mean that it freeze after mmc_bus: Reset the bus...?

Yes it just hangs there. The screen stops on the third green icon and so does the serial output.

Full log here in a gist

Here’s the image output (it’s a 4k TV)

It’s a 8 GB VisionPro 2 and the NVME is a WD Blue SN580 (which works fine when use on linux). Well it works fine to write the image. I only booted linux from the SD card, in order to write such image (which I rsync from my Intel build machine).

1 Like

Do last published binary image work?

1 Like

Yes ! I downloaded the .gpt file and just dumped in on root disk and it booted. Apparently

I realized now my build didn’t even show the haiku logo, only the icon and some artefacts.

Not sure what I did wrong with my install. I can try building the same hrev maybe.

Yes, I have Vision Five 2. The more people run it, the better the tests will be, I don’t know about diagnostics and a possible Debugger on riscv

Now my only frustration (aside from my own build failing) is everyhing seems to be working with @X512 's build … except the mouse / keyboard. Tried quite a few here but without success.

I read above mouse & keyboard can’t work together yet. Is there a common characteristis of keyboard / mouse that work ?

Not that I am on firmware 3.15 . Is it ok to use latest firmware nowadays ? I always get a bit confused reading old remarks in the thread.