Port of Gnome Web (Epiphany)

hey, so I’ve just made my account here to say to the guy who’s making this - thank you, this is epic. and also the WebPositive guy, honestly, web browsers on this OS have made a whole lot of progress since the last time I’ve used Haiku and that was like less than a month ago (or this all was happened while I was busy not noticing). for a while (1/2 to 1 year) I’ve been making myself a little revolt.chat client (it’s like an open source chat app inspired by discord) that uses <2015 javascript like XMLHTTPRequest instead of fetch api, back when I started it, both web+ and otter browser only supported that and falkon crashes a whole lot so that was part of my motivation to do that and now that I’ve checked, the official Revolt client works not only on the Gnome Web which doesn’t seem to crash as much and seems to have the best support, but also on WebPositive! (some visual glitches, but it’s a native app so it evens out)
having a web browser that can handle the modern web is a pretty important thing in modern times so yeah.

4 Likes

I mean, I think I just clicked every app because I wanted to see what stuff does and found out.
though would be cool if HaikuDepot and SoftwareUpdater were put on the desktop I think, as these two are pretty important

…speaking of which, there’s a pretty bad thing that happens if you install Haiku R1/Beta 3 and really try to update without switching to nightly, I’ll make a new thread about it or join existing one

I hope with this web-browser (Epiphany) the browser chaos will be finished and our developer can work on some more important stuff now!
Thanks to Gerasim (3-deyes) for his great work on making this happen!

Would be great to have all working in the upcoming Haiku Beta 4 release!
Great work!
Christmas can come!

1 Like

so when you were skeptical yesterday, despite seeing my enthusiasm, was it because you hadn’t yet seen the great leap in quality that had been made by this browser? :joy:

2 Likes

Everyone always sees only the tip of the iceberg, but forgets about the rest. Yes, I am porting this browser, but a lot of work has been done to make this possible, which everyone forgets about: @X512 created inprocess wayland-server, @waddlesplash fixed various bugs in Haiku and so on. The use of ramfs has been enabled, which speeds up wayland.

22 Likes

I have a question, so that at the Gui and interfacing level it looks and feels identical to Haiku, which wrappers would be needed?

I think this is what makes people skeptical with portings, The fact that they have an aesthetic that is different from haiku, And also the different way these apps work, for example epiphany currently has different shortcuts, a different gui, even a layout of different keyboard etc…

My 2 cents:
Web+ should be to Haiku what Epiphany(Web) is to GNOME, a tailored browser for that specific platform. When I use Fedora (which uses GNOME as default DE but Firefox as default browser) sometimes I’m frustrated of heaviness of Firefox and I prefer launching Web for some tasks; sometimes I need a reliable and feature rich browser like Firefox…
Sometimes I realize that I’m using the tabs saved from previous sessions on both browsers, and according to my actual task I launch one or the other browser.

So I find Web+ an (maybe the most nowadays) important piece of software for Haiku, which gives the features that other browsers don’t have, but Web is in this case the feature rich browser needed to do some tasks.
So please, to all developers of Web+, don’t be demotivated for a little Hype about Epiphany, your work on Web+ is far more useful, integrated and important to the whole project. It is the “Epiphany” of Haiku and I’m sure one day it will outclass Epiphany.

11 Likes

If the Haiku community is stuck on one style guide, I may not be able to help here. The WASI standard is not fully defined yet for WebAssembly, let alone running any other self-porting code frameworks.

I just get beta4 prerelease installed on my spare SSD, and now I already need to find something else. :roll_eyes:

would it be possible to replace the gui side of gnome apps with haiku gui controls ??

to my eyes, looks like the controls are sperate from the rendering and web backend

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Gnome Web’s rendering engine is webkitgtk, which is tied to GTK. However, GTK is themeable, and it should be possible to come up with a more appropriate theme for GTK under Haiku. There was a seemingly decent theme for GTK2: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1079052

1 Like

that’s probably separable, and if so, being able to leverage their backend for haiku would be a huge help

I used the sunglasses gnome icon from this post - Port of Gnome Web (Epiphany) - #23 by 3dEyes.
It is now used for incognito mode.

13 Likes

100% - I go native wherever I can as a matter of principle. I use web+ where it works (eg on this forum, tho ironically not in this session), and am thankful for epiphany where web+ does not work well (eg youtube). I am thankful for Libre Office - but if a native app would suit my purpose, I would use that instead.

I think we are making things work as best we can with solutions that are optimal to deliver the desired outcome with available resources. Haiku is a strong foundation for good things, and I think most people who stick with it and contribute to it have noting but good intentions and hopes for the platform. A diverse ecosystem of native and non-native (ported) apps, enabled through a range of tools and integrations, growing and evolving over time, is the only viable future for Haiku.

4 Likes

cute selection :slight_smile:

Fortunately I am not demotivated this easily, because I have already lost count of the number of browsers that were ported, used for a few months, and then became obsolete for a reason or another. We’ll see if this one lasts longer :slight_smile:

But really for Web+ to move forward we need to get haikuwebkit migrated to WebKit2, for which there was no serious effort since a GSoC project in 2019.

8 Likes

the porting of many browsers was an attempt to make up for the great problem of the difficulty of surfing the web, now epiphany or rather webkitgtk together with wayland etc. is not perfect, but it is like a cork that has unblocked, I don’t know now these browsers will soon become obsolete

Epiphany is a great browser. It really is for GNOME what I think WebPositive will be for Haiku: An easy to use browser that integrates well into the environment. From that perspective I find it quite fitting that it got ported.

At the same time this browser will always look alien on Haiku as it follows a different UI paradigm, just like WebPositive would look alien on a GNOME desktop for the same reason.

So for me this is a nice fallback I can use if WebPositive fails me, but not a real replacement for a native browser.

3 Likes

I’m usually in favour of ported software, but most (if not all) of the GTK apps on Haiku are rather atrocious with system integration. Their core design language does not match with the rest of the system at all. At least most of the Qt apps blended in quite well with native Haiku applications, so those are fine (with a couple exceptions).

Even with a Haiku-esque theme, GTK apps still don’t look like they fit in (especially those that have thick headerbars). To be fair, there are also some Qt apps like NeoChat and Telegram that similarly don’t integrate well. The difference though is that they’re exceptions of not integrating well, in contrast to being the general trend with GTK applications.

When it comes to making applications with Haiku in mind, native is still preferred. But if a developer also wants cross-platform, at least use a toolkit that actually tries to integrate with the system (like Qt).

3 Likes

The level of integration of a ported application depends on the effort involved. A lot of work went into the Qt integration, so it looks as authentic as possible.
Telegram looks that way on all operating systems, because it doesn’t use the standard Qt widgets, but rather its own set of elements.
Integrations for GTK such as drag-n-drop, styling, color schemes, and so on are feasible, it just takes a little work.

13 Likes

Agreeing with many of your points, however it is much harder to integrate GTK3+ apps unless running with GNOME. This is a struggle even on Linux. Issues with system integration outside of GNOME started with GTK3 and only got significantly worse afterwards.

Realistically, only GTK3 applications which go out of their way to not follow the GNOME HIG could be made to closely integrate with the rest of the system in full. The only onnes that come to mind are GIMP and Inkscape.

Part of this is prolly due to the focus on client-side decorations in GTK3 onwards. Haiku in contrast uses server-side decorations.