Port of Gnome Web (Epiphany)

I was not talking about the messages in the terminal, but about the saved debug log

ah, sorry thought it.
but there was nothing like that in the .report file!
Which service to use for upload the .tex / .report file?
Or do you need the .core file?
Thanks

I need a report file. But you have to consider that it can be saved for some time.

Any thoughts on this?

Why not? Name it in the Depot as GNOME Web, and write in the description that the Epiphany browser has its historical name.

Should be the same as the name of the executable/deskbar link. So rename that to “GNOME Web” as well, or keep it all just “Web”?

Logic would be that if I install Epiphany, an “Epiphany” entry appears on the deskbar. Same for “Gnome Web”.

If “Gnome Web” is the new official project name, then that is the name to be used in both HaikuDepot and the Deskbar/Tracker entry (“Epiphany” can be kept in the description so “Gnome Web” pops-up when searching for Epiphany in the software list).

“Web” is too generic, if you search for it in HaikuDepot you will have too many results.

8 Likes

“Epiphany” will of course stay in the description in any case.
According to GNOME Web - Wikipedia, it appears to really be “GNOME Web”. But as I’m not involved in the port, it’s only right to let the porters make the decision. I’ll just update the recipe to rename things accordingly.

1 Like

In the “about” window it just says Web, so in the Deskbar I named just Web. In all linux distributions only the package named as Epiphany.

3 Likes

I reported a similar error at haikuoirts: Epiphany ( Web) does not launch on x86_64 ¡ Issue #7518 ¡ haikuports/haikuports ¡ GitHub

We have to wait for a new hrev. build.

just for the record, with the latest update of a couple of days ago, page scrolling has become very fast, the same happens when pages are opened and videos played on youtube, now it is almost usable normally in everyday life… same thing is also happened for the badwolf browser, i don’t know what was recently updated in common between the two browsers, maybe webkit? I just know that now the web is no longer a problem… we are close… (I have an intel gpu with intel_extreme drivers)

4 Likes

This is because ramfs has been added recently to Haiku by default and wayland makes heavy use of it, so most wayland apps should see significant improvements in performance indeed.

12 Likes

Yes, @X512 pointed that out to me a while back, and so I spent some time reviewing the code (I’d worked on it before, but not for many years) and fixing the remaining obvious KDLs and other problems, and then merged the change enabling the /var/shared_memory folder making use of the ramfs :slight_smile:

It still has some major limitations around low memory situations that might cause problems, but indeed it provides quite the performance boost since shared memory stays, uh, in memory and doesn’t have to get written to disk!

13 Likes

Thanks, in fact using ramfs has speeded up wayland and webkit-gtk so much that I can now watch 2K videos on youtube without problems. (4K works too, but gives about 10-15 fps on my Risen 7).
But now there is another problem with gtk applications (problem is actually with the librsvg library) running on a 32bit system. This happened after changing the alignment in the system allocator.

4 Likes

It’s possible that alignof(max_align_t) is somehow not correct on 32-bit x86. I guess you can hack in a change to use 16 for the alignment and see what difference that makes. I’m not sure what alignment Rust/LLVM is assuming things should have…

2 Likes

good strike guys! I am sure that thanks to this solution, now that we will start navigating decently on the web, many more users will try to use haiku daily, youtube will explode of reviewers and this triggers a snowball effect that turns into an avalanche :joy:

2 Likes

Is there one thing that is not clear to me, because youtube videos are fluid, while if I go to Odyssee.com or Rumble.com (no , now they go well on rumble.com) they continue to go slowed down?
Also https://piped.video does not start the videos at all

Epiphany starts to become really useful today, but a function that i am missing and that would really do as haiku style would be the creation of tabs above the Window as Netsurf does … it would be fantastic

4 Likes

.you are missing tabs now?
What else?
What next?