Port of Gnome Web (Epiphany)

When will this new browser be available in the depot?

3 Likes

i think thats not santaā€¦ but like dwarf? (gnome?)

2 Likes

2022-08-28_14-31

16 Likes

Itā€™s very nice ā€¦ just two tips:
the perspective seems a bit shifted, it should be slightly rotated to the right towards the observer, I know itā€™s not easy, this involves changing a large part of the design.

And following the guidelines the icon should be ethnically neutral, so a pale old man isnā€™t, but web + doesnā€™t seem to follow that rule either.

as some have pointed out that she looks like santa, perhaps a larger cone hat and a tunic to cover as much skin as possible could resolve both of the above ambiguities.

obviously itā€™s just my two cents, my compliments for your work

Gnomes - came from Scandinavia and have a pale appearance and always look old.

6 Likes

Yes, I know what a gnome is (the term was invented by Paracelsus, for elemental beings with knowledge - the root is the greek word Ī³Ī½ĻŽĪ¼Ī· ,though, opinion - capable of going through solid matter like humans go through the air, then this term merged with the dwarf myth later) but this is not a rule that I have made; if thatā€™s okay with it, go ahead :wink:
Regards

1 Like

This rule applies to the Haiku operating system and its built-in software, but not to third-party programs. I am not going to send this icon to the Haiku repository.

PS: I wonder what a demon from Doom that satisfies these rules should look like? Or Prince of Persia.
:slight_smile: Iā€™m just curious.

13 Likes

I think the icon looks just fine! I canā€™t wait to try out the new browser.

3 Likes

I think that wild reinterpretations like this are inappropriate for a default icon. If you really want a literal gnome on a surf board, it should be an optional thing for the user to set. The default icon should resemble what the upstream project has made.

Why? Using different interpretations of the globe for the browser is boring. I just offered my own version of the icon - if you donā€™t like it, then offer your own icon.

PS: Besides, Haiku doesnā€™t allow the user to change the icon for the application within the package.

16 Likes

Looks interesting

Iā€™ve just installed Web/Epiphany to add a screenshot at HaikuDepot. While only using it for a few minutes, it looks like a nice and fast browser. Doesnā€™t respect Haikuā€™s command keysetting though, and I have yet to explore its bookmark handling. Also this from its description is an exaggeration: ā€œWith no useless widgets or wasted spaceā€¦ā€ Plenty of grey space abounds. :slight_smile:

This I find very confusing. If I see a package named ā€œEpiphanyā€ in HaikuDepot and click ā€œInstall Epiphanyā€, I expect to find an app Epiphany.
If at all possible, the package name should be the appā€™s name. Please pick one, either Epiphany or Web (or maybe GnomeWeb?) and name it the same everywhere; the binary, the Deskbar entry and the package name.

6 Likes

Calling the package ā€œwebā€ would be confusing.

The package name is epiphany, not the binary name or the name of the browser, that is an upstream branding decision and we should respect it imo

We donā€™t do this in other packages either, if you want to install a specific binary name you can use cmd: instead.

1 Like

We follow the gentoo notation in naming packages.
The GNOME Web browser package in gentoo - epiphany.

1 Like

This is a problem with our wayland-server. Its Alt and Control are not swapped. Waiting for @X512 to fix it.

6 Likes

Alright. Just giving the userā€™s perspective when browsing HaikuDepot.
Can we keep the package name ā€œepiphanyā€ and give it the title ā€œWebā€ then, that the user will see in the Deskbar?

That would break any apps using control normally like terminal emilators, is there no proper gtk solution to this?

2 Likes

Very confusing! How to start Epiphany now?
For Haiku Beta 4 32bit, it does not work out of the Box from HaikuDepot.

An error like that?

00000000	0x718fde6	hashbrown::raw::RawTable$LT$T$C$A$GT$::insert_no_grow::h0ba8cd8c67213872 + 0x56 
			Disassembly:
				hashbrown::raw::RawTable$LT$T$C$A$GT$::insert_no_grow::h0ba8cd8c67213872:
				0x0718fd90:               55  push %ebp
				0x0718fde4:             7812  js 0x718fdf8
				0x0718fde6:         660f6f02  movdqa (%edx), %xmm0 <--

Hello Gerasim,

I get this from Terminal:

EDIT: MiniBrowser has similar problem:

Something to do with my setting file copied over from my Haiku 32bit beta3 nightly?