Port of Gnome Web (Epiphany)

This rule applies to the Haiku operating system and its built-in software, but not to third-party programs. I am not going to send this icon to the Haiku repository.

PS: I wonder what a demon from Doom that satisfies these rules should look like? Or Prince of Persia.
:slight_smile: I’m just curious.

13 Likes

I think the icon looks just fine! I can’t wait to try out the new browser.

3 Likes

I think that wild reinterpretations like this are inappropriate for a default icon. If you really want a literal gnome on a surf board, it should be an optional thing for the user to set. The default icon should resemble what the upstream project has made.

Why? Using different interpretations of the globe for the browser is boring. I just offered my own version of the icon - if you don’t like it, then offer your own icon.

PS: Besides, Haiku doesn’t allow the user to change the icon for the application within the package.

16 Likes

Looks interesting

I’ve just installed Web/Epiphany to add a screenshot at HaikuDepot. While only using it for a few minutes, it looks like a nice and fast browser. Doesn’t respect Haiku’s command keysetting though, and I have yet to explore its bookmark handling. Also this from its description is an exaggeration: “With no useless widgets or wasted space…” Plenty of grey space abounds. :slight_smile:

This I find very confusing. If I see a package named “Epiphany” in HaikuDepot and click “Install Epiphany”, I expect to find an app Epiphany.
If at all possible, the package name should be the app’s name. Please pick one, either Epiphany or Web (or maybe GnomeWeb?) and name it the same everywhere; the binary, the Deskbar entry and the package name.

6 Likes

Calling the package “web” would be confusing.

The package name is epiphany, not the binary name or the name of the browser, that is an upstream branding decision and we should respect it imo

We don’t do this in other packages either, if you want to install a specific binary name you can use cmd: instead.

1 Like

We follow the gentoo notation in naming packages.
The GNOME Web browser package in gentoo - epiphany.

1 Like

This is a problem with our wayland-server. Its Alt and Control are not swapped. Waiting for @X512 to fix it.

6 Likes

Alright. Just giving the user’s perspective when browsing HaikuDepot.
Can we keep the package name “epiphany” and give it the title “Web” then, that the user will see in the Deskbar?

That would break any apps using control normally like terminal emilators, is there no proper gtk solution to this?

2 Likes

Very confusing! How to start Epiphany now?
For Haiku Beta 4 32bit, it does not work out of the Box from HaikuDepot.

An error like that?

00000000	0x718fde6	hashbrown::raw::RawTable$LT$T$C$A$GT$::insert_no_grow::h0ba8cd8c67213872 + 0x56 
			Disassembly:
				hashbrown::raw::RawTable$LT$T$C$A$GT$::insert_no_grow::h0ba8cd8c67213872:
				0x0718fd90:               55  push %ebp
				0x0718fde4:             7812  js 0x718fdf8
				0x0718fde6:         660f6f02  movdqa (%edx), %xmm0 <--

Hello Gerasim,

I get this from Terminal:

EDIT: MiniBrowser has similar problem:

Something to do with my setting file copied over from my Haiku 32bit beta3 nightly?

I was not talking about the messages in the terminal, but about the saved debug log

ah, sorry thought it.
but there was nothing like that in the .report file!
Which service to use for upload the .tex / .report file?
Or do you need the .core file?
Thanks

I need a report file. But you have to consider that it can be saved for some time.

Any thoughts on this?

Why not? Name it in the Depot as GNOME Web, and write in the description that the Epiphany browser has its historical name.

Should be the same as the name of the executable/deskbar link. So rename that to “GNOME Web” as well, or keep it all just “Web”?