Paladin IDE release and next version plans

Hello Pahefu,

…so was it all about the language files?
Why did it happen? How to avoid that other programs run in this problem? Or just related to Paladin?

Just curious… thx

Specific to paladin code. It is detailed in the commit history, but to resume, there werent elements for a list while trying to use the first element.

I just updated to the nightly but this bug is still there!

It might require a more recent build of paladin. He mentioned the caveat of “if you build it yourself.” The build of paladin in the haiku package repos probably predates the bugfix commit to the paladin code repo. This would not be fixed by updating Haiku itself. It would require either you to build paladin or for the package of paladin to be rebuilt and updated in the package repos.

yes thx for the info…
I know… but I thought Adam Fowler is working on it and he would also offer a new Paladin build together with his updates to it…
but not heard from him for some time by now… maybe something happened to him?
Maybe someone else could update and build Paladin for the Community…
just my recommendation… I do not need Paladin in German… English is ok if I had to use it…

He’s still active on Twitter: https://twitter.com/adamfowleruk

It was mentioned that the patch was already merged into the official source. All that would be needed is download the HaikuPorts tree and run the haikuporter recipe. It’s not as hard as it sounds, but definitely more involved than simply installing a package. It’s not hard to learn, and worth the effort to stay on top of latest developments. Especially when devs get wrapped up in other things and unable to update package repos in a timely manner. Like this instance.

If there is a recipe in haikuports, it is built and updated to the package repos automatically. But it’s possible the beta repos did not get an update, while the nightly ones did.

You can just download the code from his github account or from my fork and compile paladin in mere seconds, as long as you met the dependencies.

Depending on what the haikuports recipe points to (i.e a master branch or a specific commit), the package build may not include the changes.

The recipe points to the 2.0 release (v2.0.tar.gz), so it doesn’t include the fix that @brunobastardi is referring to.

You can build it yourselves quite easily.

1. git clone GitHub - HaikuArchives/Paladin: Paladin is an open source integrated development environment (IDE) for Haiku OS
  2. cd Paladin
  3. ./buildsuite 1 (the 1 is the number of parallel build jobs, you can increase it if you have more processors. (my Haiku machine is single-core)

After the build completes you find the Paladin executable in the Paladin subdirectory.

Before building you need to make sure you have the development packages for zlib and libpcre installed. If you are on 32bit Haiku you have to do a “setarch x86” before compiling so you user gcc7 instead of gcc2.

thanks all for your replies…

it is working here :wink:

I was thinking about the inexperienced new German Haiku-user who will try Paladin and it will crash trying to crate a new project…

Hey! I’m back. Did you get the port updated or do you need me to do it?

I was planning on updating it on the next release, but this will be a while.

5 Likes

… no such file or directory… ?
ok I tried: buildsuite 1 … but there is no executable in Paladin/Paladin… folder…

It does work here. Do you get any error messages?

Ahh sorry, it is called buildsuite.sh, not just buildsuite. Minor difference, big effect :wink: I guess I’m just too used to shell scripts not having a .sh extension…

Hi, yes I got only one error:

ThirdParty/CRegex.h:11:10: fatal error: pcre.h: No such file or directory
#include <pcre.h>
… any idea?

1 Like

Paladin depends on libpcre, so you’ll have to install it with pkgman install devel:libpcre first.

Is there a way you can “search” for a package based on a contained file via the pkgman command?

Yes. You can e.g. do a pkgman search app:symbolfinder and see it’s an app bundled with the Paladin package.

Other searchable types are “cmd” (for cli apps), “lib”, “add_on”, and “devel” (for development libs).

4 Likes

Ok that did the trick…
is working now… thanks…

So now one should follow this guide: