Paladin C++ IDE feedback

to open WebPositive makes sense… the help file was once there for sure…
I must have changed the filetype then to open html in an editor… makes sense because I work with web stuff…

Hi,

Nice to see work done on Paladin :slight_smile: Would be nice to use it someday soon. Can I also do drivers with it? :wink:
Anyhow, I see there’s no Dutch translation yet. Maybe I can start on that? I guess it would be nice to see Paladin in my own native Language :wink:

Let ne know, ok?
Bye!

Hello! You can submit your translations for Paladin (and other apps too) at this site:
https://i18n.kacperkasper.pl/

Thanks! Got it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anything new on the Paladin IDE development front?

Unfortunately, it seems @adamfowleruk stopped actively maintaining it, the last commit in his (then official) repo was two years ago GitHub - adamfowleruk/Paladin: Paladin is an open source integrated development environment (IDE) for Haiku OS

Is Adam doing okay?

1 Like

When I looked at his GitHub account there was plenty of activity on other projects. I’d venture a guess that he’s just preoccupied elsewhere.

2 Likes

I’m alive thanks. Just busy on COVID-19 work. ( https://heraldprox.io/ ) Won’t get time to look at Paladin until Christmas I’m afraid. If others want to jump in and have committer rights, more than happy to oblige. Just let me know what people want to do.

14 Likes

Hi all. As mentioned in the Haiku Coding Sprint 2021 channel, I’ve created an easy to consume list of ‘good first issues’ for those who may be thinking of contributing improvements to Paladin. You can see these in one convenient place here:

Also please do log any and all feedback/feature requests as individual issues on the Paladin issues page generally, and ideally give some indication as to priority. Issue list is here:

There are also milestones, with User Requested features being the most important of course!

6 Likes

New to Haiku and trying out Paladin. In the add system libraries window there is a scroll bar however it does not “work”. THe bar just fills the space therefore no way to scroll. I am unable to select the SDL2 libraries I have installed. If I add them to the project.pld file it gets rewritten when I build. Is there a cure? I see on the youtube video that the scroll bar should work. Thanks

Probably due to the recent interface fixes for the HiDPI displays. Currently there are no maintainers if I’m correct.

This bug is there long before these changes. IIRC, it’s due to the view not being attached to the BScrollView. It’s easy to fix but no one did create a PR (ok I admit I could have done it, too. My bad)

4 Likes

Adam @adamfowleruk is a maintainer, however he is toop busy to work on Paladin right now!
Other devs have to step in to fix this annoying old bug!

We may move it to HaikuArchives…

3 Likes

A workaround is to resize and move window using ctrl+alt+either right and left click drag
Very inconviniant but works…

Looking into a copy of Paladin in my Developer folder, I have found out that I fixed this problem by commenting out two lines in LibWindow.cpp:

//#ifdef B_SCROLL_VIEW_AWARE
		| B_SCROLL_VIEW_AWARE
//#endif

The ifdef/endif pair checks if there is a B_SCROLL_VIEW_AWARE macro but it’s not able to find it as it is instead defined as:

const uint32 B_SCROLL_VIEW_AWARE = 0x00200000UL; /* 21 */

in headers/os/interface/View.h.
Failing to do so, the flag B_SCROLL_VIEW_AWARE is never added to the BView at compile time.
B_SCROLL_VIEW_AWARE was introduced in Feb 2019 but I can’t tell if it was a macro before, tbh.

I think it’s fairly simple to locally fix it even for non-developers.
Until we know that @adamfowleruk has time to review and approve PRs or he wants to move Paladin to HaikuArchives.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I changed the lines as indicated by Nexus-6 however compiling the source fails in AsciiWindow.cpp with an “asprintf” not defined error. My research indicates this should be defined in stdio.h but it was not in that file on my Haiku install. (I am using the latest R4 beta). I found the code for asprintf but not sure whether to write another header with just this function to include with the Paladin sources - any advice welcome. I may be working beyond my depth!
The alt-control click worked once Ifigured that you meant I needed to move the window up(nearly off the screen) and then resize down. This is cumbersome but certainly did work and if I only have to do this once or twice is quite usable.

I’m not sure why asprintf is not found in the usual stdio.h location but you can format using a BString::SetToFormat instead without the headaches associated with asprintf.

https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/api/classBString.html#a41beabb582880a92965c632662c46fe7

I’m not in front of my PC but if I remember correctly, asprintf is a GNU extension and may be provided by gnulib. Please install it via HaikuDepot and check if that works.