Paladin C++ IDE feedback

Suggestions:

Went to use Haiku-Depot to download the latest version. Haiku-Depot however says the version number has not changed, shows me 2.0.1

Start the install, gets an error message but it may be my Haiku on the desktop, will test on other computers to confirm.

Uninstalled old version of Paladin, re-installed using Haiku-Depot. I only knew I had a new version because the drop-down menu had more options for selecting types of projects. Would suggest a menu option to get the program version.

Also downloaded .zip file from GIT-Hub, tried the read me file, it only mentioned to version 2.0, I thought this was version 2.6. May need a little update.

Hi! While I am not currently a Paladin user (I would probably use it if it was more directed towards Python), I have been following its development with some interest because I believe that a good development toolset is important for the future of Haiku. And I also have contributed with the Portuguese translation a few months ago. I noticed, however, the this version does not include the translation yet. When is it expected to be merged?

2 Likes

You need to refresh Haiku Depot, as it’s not 2.0 on my machine. The version on HaikuDepot is definitely marked as 2.6 (Probably 2.7 by the time I publish this…). There is an About Paladin menu option to show the version number. The readme file doesn’t mention any version number. The Documentation HTML file mentions 2.0, but is old and due for refactoring.

Please remember this is a 10 year old code base, and we’re all working on these things in our spare time. A minor detail of a html file not being totally up to date is quite low on the list of priorities.

If these minor things really bug you please send a Pull Request with a fix.

2 Likes

Hello!

Thanks very much for your help on translation. It really is very much appreciated!

The reason this version has taken so long to get out is partly down to a catkeys (translation file) issue I’ve been tracking down. I ended up writing a tool to diagnose catkeys issues in order to find the problem, it was so well hidden.

Turns out that the polyglot online translation service, which is a very awesome tool, does have a teensy bug in recognising certain key changes. E.g. removal of trailing whitespace and change of capitalisation. As a result, the translated catkeys have an error which means they cannot be linked to the Paladin runtime. (Their signatures, when computed by linkcatkeys, are incorrect)

I manually fixed the German one, as Humdinger kindly completed the 100% translation, but manually fixing the other 8 or 9 languages when they are only partially translated was going to be a lot of repetitive work. I’m hoping @KapiX or someone fixes PolyGlot to make it easier for me in the meantime.

Whilst we’re talking translations, If I could ask all those who wish to give back to Haiku and speak multiple languages to visit the polyglot site and help out with the translation work that will allow me to include many more complete languages in future. Most languages are over 80% complete, but some need a lot of work.

Documentation and translation are vital to encourage people to use software, yet they are so often overlooked. If you’re not a programmer but value Haiku, please consider helping on translations.

Here’s where you can get started helping to translate apps: https://i18n.kacperkasper.pl

2 Likes

Oops. I had forgotten there were some 4 or 5% missing. I have just finished the Portuguese translation. :wink:

2 Likes

Happy 2020, I just finished clearing my computer and Paladin 2.7.1 worked in the software updates. Now to continue testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just installed Paladin and must say I actually like the approach of separating the IDE part from the editor. This gives great flexibility. Now I read above that Koder is the recommended editor and I actually would like to use it, but Paladin opens all source files in PE instead. How can I configure it to use Koder?

1 Like

Probably it opens the source files with the default/preferred editor. Just switch it to Koder in the FileTypes preflet.

2 Likes

Yey! :slight_smile: Sounds great! Let me know how it goes.

Yes, what @extrowerk said :slight_smile: This way you only need set your preferences in Haiku, and Paladin will obey them. You don’t have two places to configure then. Hopefully that is easier, but perhaps I should add a shortcut in Paladin settings somewhere?

2 Likes

ah… good idea!

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I shod have thought about this. For me using the default makes sense, but a note/link somewhere could be useful.

1 Like

Our “sane defaults” approach means we should ship Koder as the default editor for sourcecode and stop shipping Pe altogether.

2 Likes

Are they both feature equivalent? I’d hate for some people to lose functionality.

See the tickets tagged “Pe parity”:

The only remaining missing feature is the overview of the list of functions, which is probably better done with a code completion engine anyway.

Cool. Getting CCLS or similar working then integrated to Paladin/Koder is likely to take some time though. Might be a good stop gap mechanism to duplicate the basic functionality from Pe in Koder for now. I’d imagine it’ll be much less time to achieve that.

Yes, but in any case I think the features that are in Koder and not in Pe (line numbers, etc) far outweight this missing one already. That’s why I think the default Haiku install should advertise Koder.

1 Like

Yeah fair point. I’ll add a note to my language server task in Paladin about the function list in Koder.

Did you know:

If I open Pe and click the Help/Help… button in the menubar…
…a new Koder document will be opened?!

Maybe it is only me?

On my Haiku image it opens WebPositive, but doesn’t load any particular help file. Just sits there.