OpenMW (Morowind) and other 3d games

All images reuploaded.

1 Like

VDrift:

They’ll be lost again. Since the 1.5 people on the admin team are busy with the pending beta, it’ll be safer to upload images to some online service, I suppose.

3dEyes, you surprise me yet again! Awesome work :hugs:

Trabant 601 S!

Neverball: (https://neverball.org/index.php)

Newerputt:

2 Likes

Yaaay, Neverball! :smiley: Thanks for your work!

There are large 3D games like SuperTuxkart and Red Eclipse 1.6.0 (https://www.redeclipse.net).
Both visually stunning and fun as well. Nice to see screenshots on porting 3d games to Haiku.

But should they be ported to get 3 frame/sec? Would it make any sense?

Why do we buy exotic or fast cars with slow speed limits on the highway? Haiku is behind today in
those exotic and fast 2d/3d drivers to fully utilize modern (or ancient) 3d hardware. Yet, it doesn’t mean
we can’t show and make headway to port a few 3d games to demo while 3d driver development is underway (i.e. a man-month or two away…).

Someone debated my comment on ‘40 GLTeapot teapots spinning (…and a partridge in a pear tree)’ - yet I can mention the Boing ball demo of Amiga. The demo wasn’t high-end in computer graphic or sound features, but simple and effect to investors to buy into the Amiga’s potential. The same was done when bump mapping and Phong shading features were introduced to the market. The Boing demo is now on Haiku and it seems as fast and effective on showing computer graphics that existed 20+ years ago - that many people believe it could only be done on the Amiga. Like comparing Amiga’s HAM mode to today’s very high-resolution pictures on Haiku.

There are a lot of great 3D games like Neverball/Neverputt, Battle of Wesnoth and Quake ported to Haiku…as you already know…which are playable on Haiku today.

1 Like

2-3 fps? you’re wrong.
I have the following results on my computer released in 2008 (Core2 Quad 2GHz; 4Gb RAM; RadeonHD 5200):
Neverball - about 40 fps, very smooth and fast
VDrift - 25-30 fps
Celestia - about 45 fps
OpenMW (windowed 800x600) - 15-25 fps
OpenMW (fullhd) - 6-12 fps

2 Likes
2 Likes

You seem to have missed my point about the GLTeapots… it isn’t useful as anything other than the most basic demo. As it doesn’t indicate real world performance of really any real applications at all. Most computer savvy people are just going to give you a blank stare if you show them GLTeapot as literally every computer and operating system for the past 15-20 years can run that multiple times over it hasn’t really been impressive for about 30 years.

That said all of the ported applications here are decent indicators of performance and make much better demos than GLTeapot. And that is in fact because they are slower it gives the software renderer something meaningful to work on.

That’s all… wasn’t trying to deflate your enthusiasm at all :slight_smile:

Teapot it’s standard application from BeOS. Tribute to history.

1 Like

Indeed, perhaps it would be useful to include a demo that is more modern though, something akin to furmark etc…

Adding a new demo is not a problem.
Writing a new demo is the problem.
Who’s ready?

Yep, but i’m talking about arena-like fps games with shaders, hi-res textures and eye-candy.
They are good as a tech-demo to show, what is possible without 3d acceleration what would be possible with 3d acceleration, but let’s be realistic, Haiku is not yet up to the task for fps lovers.

Many people like benchmarks, so do I.
May be some of these can be ported to Haiku?:
https://sourceforge.net/directory/system-administration/benchmark/

If you’re looking for 3D games to port, there is also Xash3D (Half-Life reimplementation):

1 Like

This looks great!