OpenJDK is missing, but suddenly 150_j programs are available ... where from?

ancestris_j is activated - how is this possible?

There is no ancestris in the HaikuPorts repo. Ask your provider.

You can see the origin of a package by activating the “Repository” column of the list.

Hello. There are an issue with the OpenJDK recipe:

openjdk_x86-1.7.u80_b32-3-x86_gcc2.hpkg.zip

openjdk_x86-1.8.u40_b27-2-x86_gcc2.hpkg.zip

1 Like

Thanks, but: I also know the Google search …

Just to remind people: installing packages downloaded from somewhere on the net can be risky. Not to insinuate anything here in particular, just saying…

1 Like

That is not the HaikuPorts repo.

It’s listed as Calsqm, which can be selected (as in, to be able to see it’s packages) from the official HaikuDepot website. If it was insecure, then perhaps it should be removed from HaikuDepot web.

2 Likes

It is NOT about if it secure or not. It is about the responsibility.
Ask your provider.

I don’t even know what you are saying. I’m just saying, by putting that repo in the official HaikuDepot website (which you can pretty clearly see - the link posted starts with depot.haiku-os.org), you are officially supporting it, imo.

So, it’s not software “downloaded from somewhere on the net”, and it is officially on the depot website.

Furthermore, not helping someone because something is not in a repo you manage is, imo, acting a little like a jerk (additionally, if you weren’t going to help, then you shouldn’t have replied to the post).

I would help, however, I just learned about Haiku (and so far I’m not liking some of the community climate very much).

3 Likes

I guess that everyone deserves the complete explain :grinning::

Some time ago, the OpenJDK package was available in the HaikuPorts repo (the “official” one). Based in that, some community repos (like Clasqm one) was publishing Java apps.

However, since some time ago (maybe since the switch to automated repo?), the OpenJDK recipe is broken, and the OpenJDK package is not available anymore in the HaikuPorts repo. Since that, the Java apps available in some community repos became “orphan”: needs the OpenJDK from the HaikuPorts repo, but it’s not available anymore.

The correct way is, in my opinion, hide that Java apps from the repo, until the OpenJDK becames available again. Let me try to contact the owner of Clasqm repo, to avoid future issues like this one.

Hope this explain could bring more lights to the issue.

2 Likes

Lets make it clear:
The thread was opened, because some Java dependant programs are installable without java. How is it possible? Ask the provider.

HaikuPorts are not and cannot be responsible about 3rdparty repos and packages, and about their mistakenly (un)defined dependencies.

Thats that java is currently broken is irrelevant, but your explanation is true. It is broken. Should not be, but it is.
The packages are definetly incomplete, at least in dependency-declaraton.

So talkto the provider, wich in this case NOT the HaikuPorts.
About the missing/broken Java you canopen anissue at github, as the forum is not the right place for that.

Let’s make this clear, he wasn’t asking the HaikuPorts maintainers, he was asking anyone who knows. If you didn’t want to help out, then you should not have posted.

I obviously did it, it does not change the fact that the 3rd party package does not defines correctly its dependencies, and therefore installable without JDK.
The repo/package provider should make it sure the software shoul work.
Talk to the provider.

Furthermore, if you actually tried helping out by doing some research, you would know that the person who maintained the repo doesn’t maintain it anymore (according to the homepage of the website).

As far as I can tell, this is a Haiku discourse website, not a HaikuPorts discourse website.

And finally: if the problem was due to the 3rd party package not defining the java as a dependency correctly, as you say, then just freaking say that, don’t say “Ask your provider” - that provides no help.

Mate, that is what I’m trying, but let me try again:

I haven’t checked, but i do believe you, it is for sure unmaintained. The maintainer providing packages, which isn’t correctly defines its dependencies. They are installable without JDK. Ergo: they are broken.

HaikuPorts doesn’t provides JDK currently, but the packages still have (!) to defines their dependencies. That’s what package management about is.

You are using an unmaintained repo and a broken packages. They definitely doesn’t working. The broken packages aren’t provided by Haiku or HaikuPorts. If Haiku would provide them, you should create a ticket at dev.haiku-os.org, if HaikuPorts would provide them, you should create an issue at HaikuPorts.
But neither Haiku nor HaikuPorts provides the broken packages, which makes headache you, so talk to your provider.

The provider, and ONLY the provider is responsible for the provided packages, and for their dependencies. But the dependencies could comes from different repo (like HaikuPorts).

The repo is unmaintained, you say. Sad, but if you care about the packages talk to the provider and try to get admin rights at the repo and fix the packages. In the meantime you could provide JDK in that repo too.

But it is neither Haiku nor HaikuPorts problem. I say that loud and clear. Please, read me.

The only Haiku related problem is the following: why the JDK is not available. But that’s a HaikuPorts problem, and while it is a problem, it is just tangential to the original post and problem. (I think there is already an issue about it at github with some explanation, have you checked it already?)

If JDK would be available at HaikuPorts, the packages from the 3rdparty repo would be still installable WITHOUT JDK, because they doesn’t defines JDK as a REQUIMENT.
And THIS is the problem, nothing else.
The packages are broken. Period.

I think, but i’m not responsible to decide it: we don’t care if you are newcomer or not. You have problem with packages? Sad to hear. Just talk to your provider. I cannot explain you better.

If you think it differently, explain, why should Haiku or HaikuPorts care about broken packages from an unmaintained repo with incorrect requiments.

The fact is: it is listed at the depot website just to to advertise 3rdparty repos. They aren’t activated default in Haiku, you activated them. From this moment who are responsible? You activated an unmaintained repo, so be prepared: problems will come.

I’m not rude, i’m not unfriendly, i just point the mistakes in your reasoning. And there are some.

It is NOT a Haiku/HaikuPorts problem.

Talk to your provider.

I don’t agree with this. Of course, for you and me and others guys that are following this project since lot of time is a little obvious; but for a newcomer is not.

I guess that the original question deserve a more detailed explication. Not only “ask your provider”, but also why. It’s only to try to have “more friendly” answers to the new people around here :wink:

Have a nice day!

4 Likes

Nobody said it was a Haiku or HaikuPorts problem. God… somebody can’t fucking ask a question and get help without someone being an asshole, all because we’re on the internet and being nice doesn’t matter, right? Well, it does. And the fact that the person who maintained it isn’t maintaining it anymore means he can’t ask the provider because THERE IS NO PROVIDER.

There are no mistakes in my reasoning. If you wanted to help, then actually help. If you didn’t then ignore the fucking post. That’s precisely what I’m trying to say.

1 Like