One week with Haiku

Hey everyone!

Haiku has come a long way and lately it caught enough of my interest to make me do various things with it - even some programming. By trying to use Haiku closer to what I normally do with an operating system, I bumped into unexpected usability things.

1. Alt and Ctrl are treated the opposite way compared to Windows/ReactOS/GNU-Linux/BSD/QNX/etc. That bothered me a lot, and I have no idea if it’s configurable but I assume it isn’t. I just moved along.

2. As a result of #1, task switching is done with Ctrl-Tab instead of Alt-Tab, which is yet another thing I had to constantly keep in mind, but if it worked as I thought it would I wouldn’t have been bothered by its functionality. I expected the OS not to switch programs until I release Ctrl, but as soon as you release the Tab key, you move to the next program. And the switching window displaying the program icons in order for you to see to which task you switch to… it’s different as well, compared to many other environments - starting with Windows 3, a loooong time ago. You have to long-press Ctrl-Tab to make that little window show up, or you won’t see it. And if you only press Ctrl-Tab shortly, even if you don’t release Ctrl, you just switched to another program. In other operating systems, as long as you haven’t released the main switching key (Alt), you see that task switcher window and you can press Esc to cancel the switching - which is a very nice feature. This makes you feel like Haiku assumes the users always knows what they want to do next and they never change their minds. :stuck_out_tongue:

3. But then there’s the manual program switching by using your mouse on the deskbar. Click one program’s button on the deskbar and instead of switching to it instantly, you get an option menu so you can choose what you want to do with the window. That’s only done with right-click in the operating systems I mentioned, and I haven’t found a way to immediately switch to the program I want - I looked through all the preferences.

4. Apparently there are two categories of “things” you can start from the deskbar: (1) the programs, demos, applets and preferences inside folders/directories, and (2) everything else. The first category will get buttons on the deskbar, while the second category will only show up in the Tracker - which cannot be closed and takes up space on the deskbar.

5. Talking about closing up stuff, clicking the icons in the system/replicant tray shows an option menu immediately under the mouse cursor, as opposed to the one you get by clicking the Tracker and application buttons on the deskbar. This is a bad idea for people with laptops working with touchpads, because you can easily tap the option under the mouse cursor if your touchpad acts a little bit strange or you accidentally tap more than once.

6. Talking about clicking/tapping, my first (recent) experience with Haiku was inside VirtualBox, and the mouse acts quite differently than on a physical machine. The cursor movement is plain weird, out of place, the clicks are not always listened to… so you just have to be patient with it. This deserves a warning on the downloads page, so people know that VirtualBox offers a different experience in as many ways as you already know it does. Just warn the people, because with the keyboard differences mentioned earlier, people will surely use the mouse more often than usual.

7. Closing a window doesn’t always switch the focus on another window. You can end up with no focused window at all, which forces you to either use the mouse to close all the windows or use Ctrl-Tab to manually switch to them to be able to close them. It feels weird, and along with the way task switching works, it’s a bit cumbersome - to say the least.

8. Resizing windows feels just as cumbersome, a thing you have to do a lot when working on a low-resolution display, such as my 1024x576 netbook. But even the default 1024x768 resolution in VirtualBox forces you to resize windows sometimes. As far as I know, it is currently possible strictly from the windows’s bottom-right corner. Now if all you want is to fill the screen with that window, maximizing it is the quickest way to handle it, which is only a click away. But other than that you’ll have to move the window to a position that puts the bottom-right corner in a visible spot. That, or maximize the window and then resize it and move it where you actually want it.

There are two things worth mentioning here: (1) in other operating systems and with most window managers you can resize windows from all four corners, which is great even with all of them in sight, because you can resize a window directly towards the position you actually want it, so you don’t have to also move it afterwards, and (2) the mouse pointer changes shape to a cursor symbolizing the resize operation. If you think that switching the mouse cursor is not worth doing considering you already have a marker on the bottom-right corner, which marks the area you can click to resize the window, consider the way other window managers handle this aspect, and you’ll easily understand why everyone expects the resize cursor to show up. And when it doesn’t, people are more tempted to assume that the cursor is not supposed to change than they’d be assuming that the window cannot be resized other than by its bottom-right corner. So on a small resolution, with a window bigger than the whole screen, clicking on any other corner than the bottom-right one you’ll think you resize your window, but instead you simply move it and you don’t even know. And until you figure this out, you won’t move the window to a position that allows you to manipulate the bottom-right corner because you’ll instinctively try to resize the window from the closest corner relative to your mouse pointer.

9. About Desktop (right-click) Clean up: until you know what it does, you can only speculate what it might do. Does it move shortcuts that haven’t been used for a long time, as Windows does? Does it delete anything? Does it align the existing icons? Does it do something else? I think a more descriptive name would be appropriate, to eliminate guessing.

10. About Desktop (right-click) Mount/Add-ons. If you click those options, the contextual menu closes and nothing else happens. Considering you can click other directory/folder menu entries (Applications/Demos/Deskbar applets/Preferences) and they open up a window with their containing items, this feels out of place because you’re left wondering if a window with those options is supposed to show up or not. It’s an inconsistent behavior, which can easily confuse people.

You can take this as a story, or as feedback, even as things you might consider tweaking, but the bottom line is there are a lot of things (some little, some big) that Haiku does very differently compared to most operating systems out there. Not even the differences between Mac OS X and Windows/GNU-Linux/BSD/etc are this big. And on top of these, there are some “unique” features which feel like inconsistencies or can be considered as such.

However, instead of telling you want to do, I’d rather like to know if it would be possible for these things to be configurable in the future from a UX setting application that allows the user to switch the environment’s behavior to the one they’re used to. While for some people it can be hard to adjust to so many different ways of doing things after 20 years of doing them mostly the same way throughout a number of different operating systems, some people also use multiple operating systems regularly, which makes it extremely easy to mistakenly use Haiku’s workflow on another operating system and vice-versa.

And two more questions:

• Does this all come from the way BeOS did things?
  • Do you think it’s worth reconsidering some of this behavior and permanently align it with the way all the other operating systems do it?
11 Likes

#1 is configurable in the preferences.

This is good detailed feedback, thanks.

Most of the UI/UX does come from BeOS, such as the Alt and Ctrl keys being swapped.

Sure, and there have been discussions on UI updates before. I believe the consensus is that major changes should wait until after R1.

Also, aligning everything to be like every other OS probably won’t happen - because then what’s the point? Now there is certainly room for improvement, and solid discussion around UX and what works well vs what doesn’t is not a bad idea. But making Haiku just like Windows or Linux, for the sake of consistency, probably will not be well received.

4 Likes

First of all, I suggest to have a look at the User Guide. Many of your issues are addressed there.

Some of your points come down to Haiku been based on BeOS and most of us became pretty used to it in the past 20 years. Other OS do stuff differently, but that doesn’t mean we have to ape them or their way is intrinsicly better.

wrt 3:
I have the Deskbar option “Show application expander” and “Expand new applications” activated. This shows all windows of an app and switching to one is a simple click.

wrt 4:
Not sure I understand. You mean Tracker windows show as windows under Tracker? Sounds logical to me… :slight_smile:

wrt 6:
I don’t use VB often and don’t experience this issue, only a bit of lagging. Did you follow the VirtualBox guide and set your “Pointing Device to USB Tablet”?

wrt 7:
After closing a window, it may be the Desktop that has the focus. If that’s the case, why not just click the window you want to close? Or close the whole app from Deskbar or with Alt+Q when the app has focus.
If those are all Tracker windows you want to close, there’s ALT+Q to close all in this workspace or SHIFT+ALT+W to close all on all workspaces.

wrt 8:
see user guide, CTRL+ALT+right-click-drag resizes. Right-click-drag any border resizes it.

wrt 9:
BeOS legacy. Feel free to suggest a better term. “Arrange icons” mayhaps?

wrt 10:
I don’t understand…

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

4 Likes

Thanks, @Nighthawk. I found the option in Preferences -> Keymap -> Switch shortcut keys to Windows/Linux mode. The flipside of switching to this mode is that closing the terminal is no longer possible with Ctrl+D, as you’d expect wtih any GNU/Linux/BSD/etc distro, but with Alt+D. It’s not a huge problem, but it’s a bit strange after you expect your keyboard shortcuts to work differently. This is because Haiku wanted to be Haiku but still allow the muscle memory of “the terminal people” to work with the same shortcut key (Ctrl+D) in Haiku mode. And this backfires if you switch to the Windows/Linux mode.

Regarding window management and a few more aspects in the user experience department I feel like there’s no loss of identity if Haiku aligns to the other operating systems. There’s so much more to this OS than a few details in the workflow that in my opinion it’s worth considering the “alignment”. It helps people jump right in much more easily and focus on what Haiku actually has to offer, instead of immediately stumbling on a different window management paradigm that puts off most people because reading manuals is not and probably won’t ever become a common thing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@humdinger, we’d be blessed if people would start off with the user guides before using anything. It’s not that I encourage people not to read, but we know how the real world works. As I mentioned above, I don’t think Haiku would suffer a loss of identity if it aligned to the way (almost) everyone else does window management. But considering there’s a number of people who got used to working this way for many years, a post-install welcome screen or even a set up wizard mentioning this aspect would help, because most people had zero contact with BeOS and/or Haiku.

#3: Both those options are grayed-out and have been the same for the last hrevs - my current one is 52064 -, so I can’t test how that works.

#4: For me, as a new comer to the Haiku UX, it’s not logical - and I have many years of sysadmin experience on a big number of operating systems and versions. So what feels logical for an old BeOS/Haiku user is not necessarily logical for people who used roughly the same paradigms on most operating systems.

#6: That was a good tip, thanks. I set it up as a PS/2 mouse, which made the mouse cursor rather fast - although not too fast. But the clicks still don’t work properly, even with the USB tablet pointing device.

#7: I haven’t done extensive testing on this issue but it feels like “window focus queue” (whatever it’s called) doesn’t properly track the switching I’ve done. If I could use the two options you mentioned at #3 I might be able to notice a different behavior.

#8: Thanks, good to know.

#9: Sure, if that’s the only thing Clean up does, then any of these can be considered as a replacement:

• Arrange icons
  • Align icons to grid

#10: I’ll edit my post after I finish this reply.

Most of the the Haiku devs, I think, do like what distinguishes Haiku from other OS. So there will always be a few things newcomers will have to learn. That will involve some reading, I’m afraid. Or someone could do more intro videos. Anyone is welcome to do so, a nice way to get involved.
(Personally, I prefer reading, which is most of the time quicker than having to watch a 10 minute video that may or may not have the info I need…)

This option can only work in the traditional vertical Deskbar mode. Having it arranged horizontally - like all the OS do - you’re missing out. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I still don’t get it. You think having Tracker windows under “Tracker” in the Deskbar is weird?

1 Like

The will and preferences of the developers make perfect sense to rule out pretty much everything else when they write code for themselves. But when they address to a larger audience, they have to step into the shoes of the other people, and become users for a change.

Standing out from the crowd is tricky in this case, because I’m not talking about everything that makes Haiku, but only a few things that make sense for probably 99,9999% of the PC and Mac users. So as long as nothing changes about the things I mentioned, that welcome screen or configuration/setup/first startup wizard would be very important. Also, the documentation could be pre-installed in each ISO and a special menu entry could fire up the default browser pointing out to the documentation. Or if this would mess up with the saved session, maybe a simple app with an integrated web engine/controls could serve the purpose.

#3: This is the kind of detail that should be signaled in the UI. If the two options would be encapsulated inside a [Vertical deskbar mode] options group, most people would understand what’s that about. But I have to admit I only discovered that I can move the deskbar by accident, so even that feature could use some highlighting in the documentation.

Talking about the documentation, a Quick overview section dedicated to the differences between Haiku and everyone else would help a lot, placed inside a new Documentation/Help category in the “start” menu.

What you said I’m missing out, I don’t feel like I’m missing out anything other than a way to switch to another window in one click, wherever the taskbar’s located.

#4: There is no new comer who knows which windows belong to the Tracker, and which aren’t. That’s because nothing informs the user about this. No one even knows what the tracker is, what it does, and why it wastes space in the taskbar.

The Haiku terminology comes from an operating system that wanted to revolutionize many things. The decision to follow the footsteps of BeOS made a lot of sense back then, but today it can be seen as an unfortunate decision, when operating systems that are vastly different still have a huge number of common terminology. This is a good thing for both the user, and the OS makers, who can make their users feel more at home when they switch from another OS.

I’m not saying Haiku should throw out the window everything that makes it different, but there are a few things that could make everyone’s lives much easier when switching to Haiku. It certainly helps the project if it attracts more users and supporters, thanks to a few minor tweaks.

So make it full-Haiku-by-default if that’s what must be presented first to the user, but make it easier for people to come aboard by allowing them to understand Haiku or even switch to what they’ve known for decades.

1 Like

That’s actually a bug for which there is already a ticket somewhere on the BugTracker(i don’t have the number/link of it right now) but i know there is one.

1 Like

Nice evalutation! Bravo!

Doesn’t make sense. The devs are users…

The release (don’t mistake with a nightly image) has a link to the Welcome page and User Guide on the Desktop. Web+ has bookmars to them.

It’s at the very top of the user guide’s Deskbar topic.

Another good area to become involved.

Well, that’s missing out on that feature. Also, a vertical Deskbar has room for many more entries.

I’d be surprised if people couldn’t come up with a theory on this “Tracker” when they see entries pop up under it with the names of the folders/queries when they open those folders/queries.

But what’s the solution? Documentation seems out of the question, because people don’t read that.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the observations about Haiku. Always wonderful to see or read another eager Haiku review! Helps us all learn stuff as a community too. If I may reply to your personal review points to kind of help with your experiences (and yeah, I confess, to add my own opinion too):

1. On Alt: A new key can be disorienting at first. I really do think this sort of design goes back to the shared heritage BeOS had with Macintosh thanks to Gasseè; maybe, just maybe, it’s not all crazy bias of mine; in this case (Alt), consider on platforms like Palm, Mac, etc., one would always use “Command” or a meta key… (which in the case of the Mac at least), happens to be in the coincidental position of the Alt key on the IBM PC keyboard. And most DOS era mini DIN keyboards had just Ctrl and Alt before the Start/Windows key was added. So whether or not one or both reasons was why, I can only speculate — but Be picked Alt as ‘the key’. So, to select all in StyledEdit, for example, you’d press Alt+A. And the thinking goes beyond just a special key switch: to close a window, you would press Alt+W like Cmd+W instead of Alt+F4 like Windows. (But F2 will still rename something, and Enter will open something.) It’s odd. However, for anyone that doesn’t like the Alt key doing it all, switch on “Windows/Linux Mode” in Keymap preferences. But be aware that moving Ctrl may be your Terminal experience… interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

2. On Ctrl-Tab: I agree; it’s annoying, and I think sort of the same as #1 historically speaking. With a Mac, Cmd+Tab is used over Alt+Tab in Windows. So it’s my personal guess BeOS kinda sort of followed suit with this sort of idea — but regardless, I totally concur it’s not consistent… and Alt would be equivalent to Cmd here anyway (so it’d work for both sides). For example, to bring up Team Monitor on Haiku, it’s still basically Ctrl-Alt-Del, not Cmd+Opt+Esc, for example. So it’s a funny mixture of both.

3. On Deskbar (switching): Sorry the Deskbar has been a bad experience for you. It’s a matter of personal taste, and unfortunately, it’s either something one likes or dislikes, and can’t be turned off. There is LaunchBox, which one can alongside the Twitcher and Deskbar, so that might be an option for you. Plus, you can anchor the Deskbar to a corner using the handle on the right side and in Deskbar options/preferences, expand tiles out to get to the lists directly. (But personally speaking, switching apps in the Deskbar I find a wonderful idea, (even as a Mac fan), realizing its proudly a unique “BeOS thing”. But that’s just me; to each his own.

4. On Deskbar (behavior): Again, like #3, my advice is to see tiles in the Deskbar as unique to BeOS. If I had to compare it, though, I would say it’s a lot closer to the “Application Palette” than being “the Taskbar” in KDE, ReactOS, or Windows, and I think that’s where people can become frustrated with the different behavior of it. Only applications show in the main body as blocks or tiles; open folders in Tracker and elsewhere do not, nor do replicants or applets, unless specified by the user. This is intentional app-centric design over task or document-centric design.

5. On Deskbar (applets): True; I don’t like the Deskbar applet behavior either, to be honest. To explain to those who haven’t thought about it, what’s wrong with the applet area is that Be/Haiku tries to be both like a combo of the Mac and Windows in this spot, and fails on both counts. It has a ‘tray’ or ‘notification area’ section like Windows, with icons one clicks directly as one would expect in a tray configuration, but the menus try to act like they are Menu Extras or Control Strip modules under Mac OS, causing legitimate confusion — especially if the mouse jumps or accidentally clicks as described. Since it already appears more like Windows 9x and up, the tray design should ‘pick a side’ and be modeled after Windows totally.

6. On VB mice: Yeah… sometimes guest pointer tracking problems can happen in VirtualBox even on some Linuxen if the absolute pointing device or USB tablet options aren’t toggled on at times. Try playing with these and see if the pointer movement improves.

7. On close buttons: Again, this is more or less how Windows always works. Sometimes, merely closing a window is not meant to ‘quit’ or ‘quit and move to the next app’, although some apps can decide to disobey this principle and quit anyway. And most preferences and apps on Haiku do quit like one would expect. However, there are times where the process is meant to keep going anyway in case you’re not done with it. (If no one’s noticed it, yes, Be/Haiku does have a few spots where it retains vestiges of a Mac-like behavior as illustrated here.)

8. On windowing: I humbly leave window behaviors to the beholder; imho, I confess I’m not a fan of applications having traditional windows at all, simply because each user interface defines how they work, and BeOS is very special in this regard. So, I’ll just say the User Guide, BeBook, and BeOS Bible are great references for all the little caveats of BeOS (and Haiku), including window management, btw. There’s plenty of tidbits, like special keys, Stack and Tile, etc. to have fun with. :slight_smile:

9. A good point, and funny realization: This one was a funny epiphany for me. I innately would just see and click Clean Up as a Mac guy. So I was blind to that. Had no idea. So, really excellent point! Honestly, I never, ever thought of it this way, even after using XP for a while. Relabeling it ‘Snap to’, ‘Arrange’, etc. would make a lot more sense. Maybe having ‘Get Info’ and ‘Identify’ in the contextual menus in Tracker might confuse people too, now that I think of it. :wink:

10. Desktop?: As far as I know, if I’m thinking of this right, mounting a volume should make it appear on the Desktop or under Disks. And add-ons, unless they aren’t relevant and can’t work, should do what they say, like open Terminal or change the desktop background. This is the only point I wasn’t really getting without a visual example…

Extra answers:

• As you may be able to tell from the questions, yes, several behaviors come from how Be chose to do things.
  • And yes, I absolutely agree that Haiku should be adaptable to the user. And in saying that, I do believe there’s a balance:

Quite frankly, I think many in the community will agree Haiku != anything else — the classic Mac included. And will most likely quickly remind me of that. A new user can’t expect Haiku to work like Windows, a Linux environment, or even Mac at first glance, no matter what the history behind it may be. It’s Haiku.

However — and totally seriously however — Haiku has no warm, inviting way of telling new users about the basics! Which I keep trying to mention, and I hope this review proves my point! I’ve seen the same things on YouTube videos where new users, from adults to kids, try Haiku out of curiousity and the majority give up on it in 15-20 minutes. Our UX (especially our OOBE) needs someone to overhaul it. A Mac has a welcome process on older versions, and a pop-up offering to learn about macOS on first run on newer versions. Most Linux distros have a welcome box offering an intro to basics like Mint or Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry Pi, and heck, even Windows 2000 does! We don’t, sadly. The Welcome page is more like a Read Me from System 7 or the olden days of BeOS R5 where people actually cared about manuals than it is a warm welcome, and most (if not 90% of) casual J. Random users will close it and try things on their own.

1 Like

Yes they are, but sometimes they are not always fully capable to detach from their developer perspective, thinking and even experience, to see how their users perceive and use their work. This happens for many reasons, which I won’t even being to name. I’m a developer as well, I can get defensive and I can miss points of view that later start to make sense. It’s not at all unusual after countless hours of designing, coding, testing, debugging on the very same features some users either complain about or simply propose changing.

Well, it’s been quite a few years since the download page strongly recommends we try out a nightly/development build. Because you know exactly what happens when a user comes to the forum to say their R1, Alpha 4.1 has issues, right?

Indeed, but the nightlies don’t have the documentation on the desktop, and the bookmarks don’t help much when most people will stare at all the applications’ names and have no idea what most do.

I might, but before anything I would actually have to know what I’m doing. So maybe after I know enough about Haiku. Until then, I will rather share ideas. But I could sketch-up something about that configuration wizard that I have in mind. As an outsider, I have a fresher look on the thins that hurt me the most in exploring Haiku. :smiley:

For you it’s missing out, for me it isn’t - different needs and expectations, that’s all. The other operating systems allow you to group a program’s instances under a single buttons. So when you have multiple browser windows, a single button can access them all - similar to what Haiku already has, except that Haiku defaults to the option menu instead of switching directly to the application when it only has an active window.

When the taskbar is horizontal you don’t see anything going on inside the tracker, so there’s nothing to draw your attention there. With my almost complete lack of knowledge about the structure of the operating system I don’t even know why it’s so important to group those windows under the Tracker button instead of placing them directly on the taskbar. It might be a good idea to add a counter next to the tracker label, so people can at least notice how many windows are in it. At least that would make it obvious something’s going on there.

The people rarely read the documentation, and even less when they have to scout for it. There’s no reason for the nightly images not to have at least a shortcut on the desktop to the online documentation, if not the whole thing packed in, and accessible in the menu. How big can it be? 5-10MB? Even if the full online documentation is 50-100MB in size, at least we can have the most basic documentation in the nightlies and then links to the big stuff online.

P.S. Did you notice this?

Just to make it clear, the Deskbar preferences currently has 3 option groups: Applications (left) and Menu + Window (right). Vertical deskbar mode could be either a new option group or at least separated somehow, under a label marking the two options as part of the vertical mode.

Yup, I noticed that after @humdinger told me #1 can be dealt with from Preferences - although he didn’t say where exactly. :stuck_out_tongue: This and a few more points have been covered in my reply to his, but you were busy writing a full reply while we exchanged a few more, so you didn’t notice the extra talk.

In my previous post I mentioned that the deskbar switching is not actually missing much from having the same functionality as Windows and various GNU/Linux distros have. There are two things that Haiku doesn’t do that others handle for grouped windows, and that’s:

1. allowing the user to have separate (not grouped) buttons in the deskbar for each window;
  2. when the deskbar is set to group the apps’ windows, if there’s a single window of that app, switch to it instead of presenting the menu.

I can understand if this is inherited from BeOS and no one wants to break “the good old UX”. But had BeOS lived for a few more years, they would’ve changed and obsoleted various elements of their UI and UX, as everyone does. I don’t see a reason for any single member of the Haiku team to believe otherwise. Refinement and evolution happens naturally, so there’s no need to cling to most of their final UI/UX paradigm just because there’s nothing else to follow in their footsteps.

Resizing windows is something I don’t like in Haiku - most likely because most operating system allow resizing from all four corners. I don’t know how much work would be involved in making this available in Haiku, but I’d love this feature to get in. You don’t know how nice it is to have this kind of freedom until you work with multiple windows and you want to quickly resize them to see their content all together.

When you right-click the desktop, you get a menu. Click Mount or Add-ons - not something inside the sub-menus they reveal. You will notice the menu closes and nothing happens. Now click the start menu and click Applications. A new window with the content of the Applications menu will be displayed. To me, this looks like an inconsistent behavior. The desktop right-click menu shouldn’t close if I click an option that doesn’t start anything. It should remain open, which subtly informs the users that their click is not supposed to do anything in that area. Either that, or toggle the sub-menu.

I could be of help with the OOBE if I knew how to change the options I talked about from the command line - if it’s even possible. I could play with Yabasic to mock a simple UI for a configuration wizard that would take care of a few issues the users stumble upon when coming with expectations from other operating systems. But again, I should keep tinkering with Haiku until I discover more UX differences worth tweaking with such a tool.

BONUS: This is something I didn’t find even in the documentation. I’m sure you guys will have a laugh, but I wasted a couple of minutes figuring out why I can’t move the deskbar. You start the session with the deskbar placed in the right-top corner. So I grabbed the move handle and moved it across the screen, to see in how many different places I can move it to. I went clock-wise and move it on the right side, bottom-right, etc, until I reached the top-left corner and I let the move handle go. But I decided I wanted to move it again, so I grabbed the handle again (I didn’t even move the mouse), but I couldn’t move it - it kept changing its width.

Obviously, I was missing something and I tried moving the mouse differently, long-clicking the handle before moving it, right-clicking it… damn, nothing worked. Then I noticed the deskbar has two handles, I tried the other one and I could move it. So I concluded that the one stuck to the edge of the screen is the move handle, and the other one is the resize handle. And their roles obviously switch depending on the side you have the deskbar on. The documentation doesn’t make this clear - I specifically looked after this detail after I found the solution. It was a nice revelation, but it took a bit of frustration.

This tidbit could easily be improved if the mouse pointer would change according to the action you can perform. I think you know about what kind of pointers I’m talking about, right? It’s basically the same fix that would work for the windows’ resize.

Thanks for your reply! :slight_smile:

Hello. To resize a window from any of side, you have to do the following:

Hold down “Alt” + “Ctrl” and grab de border of the window (you will notice that it became blue) with the secondary mouse button.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. :smiley:

1 Like

Your welcome! :+1:

No need for “Alt” + “Ctrl” you can do it with just the secondary mouse button.

2 Likes

You are right. Thanks for point that! :slight_smile:

I tried both ways and I like the Ctrl+Alt version better. Without those keys I can only resize one side of the window, by right-clicking the window’s border. With Ctrl+Alt I can be anywhere inside the window to resize it. Anyway, it’s still useful to know I can resize by mouse-only without pressing keys, even if it’s not as flexible as the other method. :+1:

Thanks!

and you can hold ctrl+alt and left click to move a window from any point inside it

1 Like