Non-interactive bash ignores ~/.bashrc

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but Haiku nightly bash does not appear to be automatically loading /boot/home/.bashrc for non-interactive shells, even though the bash documentation says that it should be doing this.

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html

$ head /boot/home/.bashrc
echo 'Hello from .bashrc!'
$ bash -c 'sleep 1'
$

Fortunately, Haiku bash does appear to recognize $BASH_ENV and apply that to non-interactive shells, so when I manually configure this variable, then bash will load the referenced configuration file path:

$ BASH_ENV=/boot/home/.bashrc bash -c 'sleep 1'
Hello from .bashrc!
$

This bugs me too. It seems to be a divergence from posix that was done to make our package system happy. Your dotfiles go in some directory in one of the config paths. I forget which one. And they drop the “.” at the beginning so .bashrc becomes bashrc. It’s been awhile and Im recalling from volitile memory, so I could be a bit off. Someone please correct me. I don’t like it. It is counterintuitive. And it’d be nice to see this fixed after R1.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with diverging from a standard, though such distinctions should be abundantly documented. In the --help output. In man pages. On the wiki.

1 Like

I don’t see how you interpret that document. The way I read it, a non-interactive bash process should work exactly like you see it working. It has been that way for decades, and i see it as a feature, so maybe my expectation colors my reading of the document.

1 Like

It’s not because of package management this time. We just think putting all config files at the root of the user directory is a stupid thing. We put them in home/config/settings instead. And we remove the . prefix because it is a hack to simulate hidden files, and your settings are not something that should be hidden.
So I’m going to call the “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature” for once.

2 Likes

Hear! Hear! I wholeheartedly agree.

If you cannot find a config file in the place you’re used to, there’s always “Find…” in Deskbar or query in Terminal:

$> query name="*bashrc*"
/boot/system/settings/bashrc
1 Like

and it will be really fast

I have to admit, that threw me for a while. I didn’t expect to have a config file prior to creating one, so it didn’t make any sense to search for it. I think when I eventually discovered the trick that had been played on me, it was by examining text strings in the executable.