No Sound on HDA Intel

Hello;
today I installed haiku-nightly-hrev51074-x86_gcc2_hybrid-anyboot and the first thing I notice was that i have no sound.
The Sound card is shown as HDA in media server but playing a video file goes without a sound.
in linux
cat /proc/asound/cards 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDA Intel at 0xf6afc000 irq 31
the system log in haiku-os shows HDA intel but as I said no sound.

I did installed open sound system package and I have this in my /boot/system/settings/hda to blacklist hda:
Package 'hda' { EntryBlacklist { 'add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin/hda' .... } }
Again in linux I have :

lsmod |grep snd snd_hda_codec_idt 48927 1 snd_hda_codec_generic 61189 1 snd_hda_codec_idt snd_hda_intel 29531 3 snd_hda_codec 108141 3 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel snd_hda_core 52370 4 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel snd_hwdep 6656 1 snd_hda_codec snd_pcm 92802 3 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core snd_timer 22109 1 snd_pcm snd 69051 13 snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel soundcore 6876 1 snd
Where did I go wrong?

In my case, the normal HDA driver won’t work. OpenSound will, but I had to experiment a bit in the Media Preferences to get it going (switching some outputs from “pcm1” to “pcm2” and wiggling some volume sliders, IIRC).

How to disable the intel hda driver?

Your blacklist entry looks fine for that.

https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/daily-tasks/blacklist-packages

Welcome to the Haiku shell.

~> listdev
…
device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
device 1e20: 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
…

Work fine.

I have another hda in /lib instead of /bin should I add that to the next line?

device 293e: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
and this doesn’t work neither with hda kernel driver nor with opensound system.
I really need help. I need sound.
the files were mainly .mkv and .avi or .mp4 files. I just tested with .wav file and NO Sound.
here is the syslog:
KERN paste containing hda informations

Did you open a ticket on the Haiku bug tracker?
You get more chances for investigation from the developers.

1 Like

NO Sound In Headphone Jack too.
Tested with x86_64 unsupported hybride anyboot iso and the result was the same.

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/13428

Hello. I had the same soundChip:

device 293e: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller

In my case, it works perfectly without needing the OpenSound drivers.
I’m using x86_gcc2 (hrev51072)

1 Like

I’m having the same problem with the Intel HDA driver. Is there a functional version of OpenSound for the x86_64 version? I don’t see one in the main repos, and the Haikuporter version doesn’t seem to support this arch yet.

Seeing as I’ve had issues now with both the Intel_extreme video driver and the HDA sound, I’m guessing this is more of an overarching issue with drivers for Intel chipsets in general. Given the ubiquity of Intel devices out there, is there any hope on the horizon for these fixes?

On a MacBook Pro (11.3), I only get sound via the headphone jack, and only AFTER I’ve booted into OSX. The OSX HDA driver will initialise the device properly, and then when I reboot into Haiku at least I get audio via the headphone jack. Have you tried this approach to get audio out?

The HDA and intel_extreme drivers are completely unrelated, and have different problems. Unfortunately, it is hard to make a generic driver that will work everywhere, in the case of HDA, because HDA describes the hardware just up to the I2S bus and not including the actual audio codec (which needs a driver too, unless your BIOS or some other OS you booted initialized it already), and in the case of intel_extreme, because intel keeps changing and refactoring their hardware (and register interface) at every CPU generation and we can only try to catch up with the changes, as a dev gets access to more recent hardware for testing.

Yes, I do exactly the same (but with Linux) to initialise the HDA codec with my ThinkPad T410.

It’s not a bad workaround for the moment, just keep a live Linux USB stick around and boot it, then immediately reboot to Haiku.

Chris

On some thinkpads, a known trick is to unplug and re-plug the power jack. The BIOS will do everything it can to emit a beep warning about that, including initializing the audio codec, apparently.

What we should do is add a “register dump” feature to the driver and dump the state of the hardware before/after. Maybe we can identify what we forgot to init then.

1 Like

Ah, I think I had disabled that beep event in the bios - I’ll give that a go.

Chris

1 Like

I post my screenshoot here of the same trouble but resolved for Intel HDA.
The defauld sound driver of the system doesn’t work here from the last Beta. I have installed Open Sound System (OSS) and must blacklist the “hda” driver like it was said. I had to config the mixer too and reboot the Haiku system for it take effect and finaly work. This topic helped me but for be more clear a screenshoot is welcome I think.

The device:
device 27d8: NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller

Screenshoot:
screenshot1

Also The sound work but the mixer control panel of OSS have a buggy kind of window. The controls are not correctly aligned here.

1 Like