New Project: BeSly System Analysis Tool (BeSlySAT)

Ever had a look at
https://bsd-hardware.info/ ?
Would be interesting to have for Haiku. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. I ment this way.
And hoped someone would say to this theme, but strangely we talk here alone lately :slight_smile:

Well for developing something, I mean the coding, not program’s functions planning, I am the worst kind of IT people.
Just after high school and one year technikum I went - instead of university due to mathematics - a 3 years course of OPERATING SYSTEM PROGRAMMER in city of Veszprém ( pronounce as Wes Prame). It was on Saturdays only this way took so long.
There I wrote the more complicated Pascal code than others, meanwhile were less effective code :smiley: , I mean : not the most clear and elegant in layout style.
So after I recon’ it I changed for an exam stuff :
I joined to a pair of guys who made coding and I created the software plan. It was accepted by teachers, so we could do that way
This way I got a middle grade “3” (5 the best - 1 worst, the fallen one)

Years after, I got into IBM Hungary, as system admin.
First in expanding ERP department in that time really just a SAP team – in city of Székesfehérvár ( pronounce as Sake {not japanese drink, but english word} - Ash - Fe - Hare - Waar ).
. I was one of a guy who later worked on another ERP server SW - Baan - but it is another story - as generally saying .

OK, so in the meantime there we did the woodcutter jobs for german and austrian colleages in 24/7 - mostly manual system checks, ticket opening based on manualmand automatic system checks, smaller tasks in SAP, database, and OS level.
In this round - in the beginning - all OSI levels we had supported in this 24/7 team - except the networks - to operate on (SAP, DB nad OS level as well).

When we were hired there (16 new colls) after the previosly employed working colleagues - who was employed were earlier -, the best of them were selected to office time team (Support Team ) who got customer clients and serious fixes of tickets we created and change job task in tasks : SAP company/system copy , database upgrades, whole SAP system move from the customer to IBM datacenter machines,and finally – the queen of tasks on SAP ERP department : SAP version upgrade with database upgrade as well.
Later it was routine jobs as when we in 27/7 did it as well between 2 IBM datacenter - 2004-2005.
These tasks required to write command lines (commands using pipelines or small 'scripts just drop after the shell propmt in putty program) and sometimes shell scripts or more serious ones like really rather shell 'programs '.
One of my colleagues wrote a shell script ( such rather program-like ) which did all the manual checks, so we had to login to all server and launch it despite of repeating all the checks on OS/DB and SAP level for all SID (3 digit ID of installed SAP severs).
It was later scheduled in crontab, as when he later showed to german team lead and they had selected to do the manual daily cheks on servers so changed them automatical checks. This automatical version created tickets based on DC.sh bash script findings and it saved to output files per daily as scheduled.
There was a a server which were separate directories as NFS filesystems were exported to all servers and this way it could get all DC checks output files available in directories per system.
This server had a mobile phone card installed and sent SMSs - short text with server name DB or SAP system’s 3 digit identifier (SID) and short error messages.
There were one colleague in shift(s) - later more when arrived not only to mobile phone but a web surface tool was capable for parallel operation - who opened ticket based on SMSs and deleted the SMS as if he created the ticket.
Later we got access to new system checker / ticket opening program where we had to deleted also the affected entries which were ticketed.

So this way I must wrote shell commands on AIX* - especially after 1st February 2006 when I selected for a new project to fully support it in office time.
My first client was a big multi ( who had global partnership with IBM with automatization stuff at IBM used in therir products ).
Fortunately I was selected for country focal point for Baan in France locations.
I was responsible for them in IBM with an another colleages of three but I was later the main supporter - that skyrocketed my carreer at IBM as a technical guy. Later helped get into support team at DB level for big german television firm.
((( explanation *AIX
is the the UNIX product of IBM - for me the best UNIX but unfortunately for PC no longer available there were some some MCA laptops and desktops which had AIX on it. In 1997 I saw on an expo some Apple machines had AIX – demoed Dassault Systems’ 3D/2D CAD programs.
If you checks out Rosetta Stone of UNIX { Rosetta Stone for Unix } where shell commands compared on all UNIX if such stuff still exists, you can see how much command exists there which other UNIXes there is not such function. HMM now FreeBSD has more , but as I see it has such cimmands what ported from Linux I assume, nevermind ).
LVM which is much safer or better than any RAID software meanwhile it is written for another purpose - a virtual layer between harddrives and OS makes available to expand FS to new disks meanwhile system runs, so no stops for partitioning and adding new free space on OS level. Also hot swapping. So there is striping and mirroring in it.
Thanks for IBM it is available for OS/2 and both IBM and Red Hat it is available for Linux as well such as on AIX - just command names are jokingly different but functions are the same. On OS/2 it is much reduced capabilities but available. Just as JFS2 was ported there as simply JFS on OS/2 (it is another OS I admired on PC, but just in that time (1990-1998 ) I had no PC computer to install it on it.)JFS/SFS2 - those iare journaling fylesystems which was ported to Linux and OS/2 as well as I wrote above - now it may available { JFS (file system) - Wikipedia } ))).

These are my connection to IT developing skills – except the physical DBA skills I had not detailed here.

So I wrote scripts to support tasks on OS or DB level, but for application I was and am still very small :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I left SAP and later Baan support as well I went for DB support I got amazing Informix support tasks.
I am not really a clicking guy. GUI is very useful as when a program has many switches or settings to setup once, so for applications, but I really liked command line’s programs in the shell.
For examle find something and tailored the output to get only the relevant info in beautifully formatted and report(able) where it needed.

Is it enough for first time of my past knowledge ? :smiley: :smiley:
Past as for since 1st of January 2016 I had not worked on midrange servers but some old PCs of mine. : D
I left IT just as before before revolution of cloud SW became general at IBM and also rest of the world. On Linux I left out from containers Xen, quemu etc.
I just used quemu earlier as my last working laptops at IBM used to run Linux and for other workers whose works not affected systems remote access - to run Windows on working laptops.

Maybe too much again. :S + :((

Sorry this part about expected suggestions is not really clear for me so may not clear for other people as well.

Would you precise a bit ?..

You want from us

→ categories names : to definitively group these devices
or
→ to correct you at names regarding enlisted device names
or
→ supplementally add new names / categories you might forget to enlist
or
→ a fourth option that had not get into my mind as I could not grock your question.

I suggest to explain it in german for someone else who can help you in english version – if it is difficult for you to explicitly define in english.

I hope I could help.

seem very promising… maybe need port to haiku? but it need server to … to collect data

Great - finally others more supporting one than me – with poor developing but strong communication lava skills – appeared ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am working on a second way to add tested hardware into the database. This can be everything thats not incluided the main system or changed from a existing computer of the list.

Example: You testing a external WLAN adapter over RJ45 or USB and want to add this single hardware to the list.
Example: You use a game pad and it is supported by Haiku
Example: You change the graphic card from you computer (always added to the database) and wants to add it.

To manage these hardware into a list i need to split them into cathegories like usb divice, pci device… And now this names need to be found for me.

I see … you want to new hardware options appear to user well categorized.

What if the program ask user for help

I detected unknown (video) device on USB - would you precise which is it ?
internal camera
attached camera
action cam
Video conferencing camera
security camera
etc.
Please provide exact vendor / model name / version if any as
list of usb devices had not helped.

Or you let to use your tool only for experts.
I’m afraid the possible hardware are endless there will be again and again new hardware options.

I understand you wants to categorize hw.

Well I can only hint to check out Speccy or HWinfo on Windows as they have such categories. but I assume if you have not some specific hw the programs will not enlist them.

Device managers in different OSes.

The given FreeBSD tool may alsu useful for you.

I mean if you have no bluetooth in the machine, you won’t get hw enlisted - connected to such interface of your machine.

I don’t really understand what you’re asking, are you asking for types of hardware or names or hardware? I could probably specify about every gamepad you’d need to list.

Here a screenshot

beslysat-singlehardware

3 Likes

“Build Yeart”

1 Like

Ooops, thanks. Good it is not online :wink:

Just download the hpkg files for yab (and dependencies, if there are any) and do an offline install like you described you are doing with BeSAT.

DISCLAIMER :
using CAPITAL letters below I had not intended to SHOUT OUT but to highlight the words instead of using the forum features.
I wrote this here to avoid to feel yourself embarassed due to my brutal tone as it was not the case actually. :smiley:
I wrote everything calmly I just wanted to put heavy in my style to fix what and why I did earlier.
Besides I thank you for your post. :slight_smile:
I just felt you had not red carefully or I was just not enough clear in my post – in that case I apologies for you.
Here you can read reasons detailed again and hope I could explain it without you repeat yourself as I experienced some other forum user earlier. 8P
:::: END of DISCLAIMER

Dear @BlueSky

If you read carefully that way I gave up (just that as you suggested as well) as I wanted to avoid myself to iterate the steps.
This complicated way of install. swithing OSes , thumbdrives put in / pull oiut would be an annoying necessity for an alternate way to reach file(s) on other platform, as actually I cannot reach my router thumbdrive, for file sharing, (as I do in Win/ Lin situations) as it uses not the nfs protocol, but samba network protocol to share files, as all products prepared for shitty windows default stuffs, even if I use Tomato firmware (!!)
So I wrote I wanted to avoid that when yab also requires further hpkgs – that would be annoying such people like me. Dependencies after dependencies.

In this case the developer at least marks how many and wich packages are the requirements to download them all before start install, isn’t it ? Am I right ?

I expect the professional people do not complicate others life – if we talk about an another pro who did some jobs on different computers : installs, discovered some environments – but especially as in case generic users who has no experience how to behave on a new territory or try first before ask for help or sign a problem on all channels which easy to use for them. They just want to use often without understanding why they have to learn the other system.
That 's also a system but different than that one on they socialized using a computer to do a job or more.
Someone only use stuff to watch movies, listen music so fun stuff.
How all the developers can expect to use their environment if their environment is not that easy to use than a simple TV or homepods ?
We, PROs (I mean on IT), accomodate – and are able and want to discover a new platdorm. – as we are enough courios about : how it works, how we can tailor it to our needs and habits, that formed since we use computers.
They – simple or generic users (so the mass) do not want to do this way-- all services must prepared for THEM basically.
If it is HUGE CHALLANGE then they have to ACCEPT THAT ALL.
The problem is the developers often do thinks from their perspective when they build their service, and after they get ALL THE STUPID QUESTIONS and REQUESTS - however those queastions and requests ARE STUPID FROM ONLY THEIR PERSPECTIVE.

I will highlight you how I understand this.

Once I had a smartphone - I used as a tablet as it was quite big to do so - it had fallen to the hard asphalt and broken the screen.
I wanted to switch off, but when I used switch off button, then it had not worked automatically … NO, NO, NO, NO, AS REALLY STUPID ENGINEERS (both on HW/SW ) asked me on the screen : confirm the shutdown !!!
HOW THEY COULD NOT USE THEIR brainWHAT IF THE ONE AND ONLY INPUT - THE SCREEN – IS BROKEN ???
I hope Steve Jobs an Elon Musk will burn like hell before OUR LORD for HIS SINS for their “simplicity” and “smooth design”
It could have resolved if they offer that if I use another button of the phone – if theres any – to confirm it as in case the screen is broken.
But many thousands engineers had not care about it … possibly as if the srcreen is broken I would rush the next service or shop to fix it.
Yepp but I had to rush to my workplace in my case that way the accidental fall happened at all.

Anyway back to my case to enlighten further -

I put my hand in the air when I found a way to do the install, but I found it more complicated to do AS THERE WERE NO ALL DEPENDENCIES ENLISTED – so dependency turned out AFTER I downloaded the single package and moved onto Haiku and attempted the install.
As a pro: I would like to see all the dependencies as a warning or marks to be able to download them all BEFORE THE INSTALL.
I understanf IF ONLINE availability is established IT WORKS AUTOMATICALLY , but as a pro who offer services - as BeSly do - they should prepare to difficulties on receiving side and accomodate to this and put warnings for IN CASE OF OFFLINE install when the connection to their store WORKS ONLY on a different platform from A BROWSER ONLY
I hope I was clear here as well.

Otherwise @lelldorin was so kind to confirmed only yab required in this case. So I will install there.

Thanks both of you to tried to help me – me also that way I sent suggestions regarding this and similar tool working on other platforms - for help to improve this tool and move from YOUR logic to build it.
I offered AN ALTERNATIVE PERSPECTIVE an OTHER PURPOSES to develop such tools as such automatically for generic users who thinks on probe Haiku, but fears the boot difficulties or what would not properly works in case switching to Haiku. And also for PROs who can help to test it.

I hope I could help with explanations and not hurt your feelings or human dignity.

ALL EDIT : As generally - in my case - I fixed typos and enhanced my english - if it is possible ;-))

You should write books :wink:

If i found the time i can make a zip file of beslysat with yab

1 Like

Please select which of your favorite :wink:

Thanks for your suggestion. I may follow your hint… :smiley:

I add a informationen about needed packages for using on systems, who are not online, into the documentation.

Dear @lelldorin

I just woke up after I slept enough finally in 2022 to fill out those last days in last year -2021- when I burnt in fever of creating hungarian gathering meeting preparations and other exciting stuff, that might help to establish this – my Haiku “business” ( too ) – to let me have in 24/7 !!

And then this very good news of you …

Thank you for your care ! ( Thousand flyin’ luftballoons ! )

These days are too exciting !

Here are a new screenshot. Add single hardware are ready. I will release the new version then i have the export function ready.

beslysat_singlehw

3 Likes

Dear @lelldorin ,

Finally I downloaded yab zipfiles of hpkgs for both platform (32 and 64 bit).
In the night or tomorrow before noon I install it in nightly image I have.
However I might create new USB installer also from latest nightly to check out wifi setup progressed or not.

Happy New Year !
Have a good day !

1 Like

Try this for wifi, it works fine.

Thanks to @muffin for this hint

Vonets VAP11G-300