New Programmer

Hi, I’m Boston, 33yo, Brisbane, Australia.

I would like to join the Haiku community and get some experience with working on a large software project as part of a team.

I have a Bachelor of Maths, so I’m trained to work with data structures and algorithms, etc. At uni I used a lot of MatLab.
In my spare time I use a lot of C, coding up linked lists and vtables, etc.
I’d be comfortable working in C++ and I have some experience in other languages.

Im on holiday at the moment but what do you think about taking me in on this project?

Kind regards,
Boston.

12 Likes

Nice to see another Aussie :wink:
Haiku is an open source project, so people work on what they feel like.
Check out the Development page for ideas.

3 Likes

Just a suggestion from a Haiku newbie like you: This series of lessons is the closest thing to a Haiku API “tutorial” I could find so far. It starts with a short C++ tutorial, which I think it was not necessary, because playing with the Haiku API means you have a decent level of prior C++ experience - a short C++ tutorial won’t help otherwise. However the lessons get to the point pretty early and include valuable information for a beginner.
Necessary companions: The Haiku book and the Be Book. I can’t do anything without them.

I still have a lot of questions though.

4 Likes

We can always do with some more help :slight_smile:

In the way the team is organized, you get to decide what you want to work on exactly. There is a huge list of things to do, ranging from applications all the way down to kernel and drivers development. One way to find things to work on is simply to try and use Haiku for yourself, and soon enough you will find a problem to fix.

First of all, do you want to work on Haiku itself, or on one of the “3rd party” applications? The development environment setup will be a little different.

4 Likes

As @PulkoMandy said, feel free to work on whatever interests you. :slight_smile:

If you want a specific project suggestion, we (@coolcoder613 and I) are working on GitHub - coolcoder613eb/Haiku-PyAPI: Python bindings for the Haiku API. If you have any questions, feel free to hop onto IRC and ask them to @coolcoder613. Seems like he is online most of the time.

1 Like

If you have expierience with programming drivers for LAN over USB, i habe a source code for a adapter around here :wink:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the advice. Some great resources. I’m thinking of working on the operating system :worried:

I could much around and set up a development environment by myself, but a bit of guidance would be nice. My whole reasoning behind volunteering my time to FOSS is to do so in return for guidance.

PS I run Ubuntu on my workstation and I have an old laptop I could run Haiku on. I have CLion installed for an IDE.

Boston

2 Likes

If I may, in Haiku try Genio as an IDE. Its easy:

pkgman install genio

2 Likes

Drop by in the Haiku IRC channel if you want help :wink:
(The IRC client is called Vision)

There is also Koder as good IDE around

Koder is my editor of choice, but it’s no IDE. I’ve been using Genio for a bit now, and it’s shaping up nicely!

6 Likes

We are preparing an amazing Christmas release :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: stay tuned!

12 Likes

Im planning on using CLion with a cross-compiler. Any advice on setting up a cross compiler?

1 Like

This looks good.

2 Likes

I have installed Haiku on my old windows laptop. Its so much faster than Windows! This is why I love Haiku. I’m not sure which repositories to install to cross-compile from source.

The above article says:

Anonymous checkout:
git clone https://review.haiku-os.org/haiku.git
git clone https://review.haiku-os.org/buildtools.git

If you have commit access:
git clone ssh://git.haiku-os.org/haiku
git clone ssh://git.haiku-os.org/buildtools

It’s the same repositories, just a different protocol. if unsure use the https one, it is essy to change later if needed.

I’ve finally gotten around to building Haiku with the cross compiler for Linux. I’ve been busy but I plan to work on the project one full day a week. What do you think I should do now?

Run Haiku in a virtual machine, see how it behaves, see if you find some bug to fix? Or if you find some application is missing and you want to write it?

I don’t know, in the Haiku project there will be no one to tell you what to doo, it’s up to you to pick your next task

What are your experiences, what can you program?

We definitely need more native applications that show what Haiku is capable of (not just ports) and a lot of drivers.

But as already said, there is no roadmap that can be used here. Everyone is allowed to program what they think is right.

If you want to deal with bug reports, then take a look at the BUG tracker, there are many open points. Here you should first ask whether someone else is there (IRC).

1 Like

There is a list of Easy tasks here https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/EasyTasks

If you want a tough one, there are the hard tasks: https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/HardTasks

1 Like