• a lot of maths
  • reading datasheets
  • some C and Assembly

Bachelor of Maths:

• a lot of data structures and algorithms in MatLab
  • a few simple objects in C++
  • git: pull, commit, push to main

Game development project:

• 3500 lines of C, attempting to do OOP using a lot of vtables and linked lists
  • a few lines of Bash scripting
  • a few lines of GLSL
  • a few thousand lines of code not directly used in project or discarded because of naive coding style (all code in one file)

Hi steampunklolcat

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for.

I will go away now and read the Haiku book, etc.

Boston

3 Likes

I would be happy to see a really good description of how to use Git - Easy to understand. Also how to make pull requests or issues. All these things regarding haiku. Unfortunately it’s not programming :wink:

1 Like

No, by that I mean I only know those basic commands. I would also be happy to see a good description of how to use Git.

I usually use w3school tutorials: Git Tutorial (w3schools.com)
You can then refer to Haiku specific workflow to submit patches : Get the Haiku Source Code / Pushing Patches to Haiku 101 | Haiku Project (haiku-os.org)

1 Like

I would be happy to explain to you how to use git : )

undortunately pull requests are a needles complex and backwards way to use git : /

I was thinking about making some videos where this happens inside. sources from haiku via git. I did it once, but it was a long time ago.

Submitting a bug report on Haiku Ports would be the next step.

Getting USB audio devices to work would be great. I have zero experience with coding, otherwise I’d take a stab at it myself.

1 Like

And audio over HDMI. Then my VCS would really be rockin’.

2 Likes

If I’m not totally wrong Git is simple.

Getting the repo:
git clone …
cd haiku

The process of updating:
git add -A
git commit -m “version info here”
git push

But maybe I forgot something.

And ain’t there GUI tools for Git?

1 Like

I found the Pro Git e-book rather informative. The whole content is available online.

… and of course the good old devopsreactions post:

After reading the pro-git book

(taken from here - I hope the animgif shows up correctly)

4 Likes

Wrote down some things from working with git (mainly for myself) that I found useful (at that moment), so I wouldn’t forget about them. :slight_smile:

EDIT A few notes on how to fork a repository (in this case the one from haikuports).

1 Like

Hi all.
I’ve read the haiku book and skimmed through the tutorials. Messages look interesting, I wonder how I could structure a program to use them. Will read up on git etc.
I was already thinking about USB and HDMI audio because I use both.

Kind regards
Boston

4 Likes

That would be very helpful to have!
Sometumes HD Audio out works but not the MIC Audio In!
Just as an idea!

The standard WebCam driver is almost finished for years, but noone has looksed into it so far!?

Webcam Support would be great

1 Like

I would like to see support for Small Fast Multimedia Library. Im not there yet. Im focusing on the easy tasks.

Boston

2 Likes

Dear @BostonBrooks ,

I assume you thought about

Simple and Fast Multimedia Library

SMFLhttps://www.sfml-dev.org/

From their FAQ →

What is SFML?

SFML is a simple to use and portable API written in C++. You can think of it as an object oriented SDL. SFML is made of modules in order to be as useful as possible for everyone. You can use SFML as a minimalist window system in order to use OpenGL, or as a complete multimedia library full of features to build video games or multimedia softwares."

Interesting, written in C++
And also from starting page this protocol could use .Net and Python
So the new bindings … those recently developed for Haiku can be useful for this.

Well there is multiple gaming platform available already by ported libraries for Haiku but finally some other multimedia purpose application program could use this protocol.

Kudos for starting to make applicable for Haiku !..

Hey @waddlesplash ,

What you wrote about coming new Beta5 release and no fancy stuff in new developoments … it is maybe true for end usersbut not for application developers

Possible Beta5 is going to be known for

evolvment of more supporting languages/protobols !..

so it would be a kind of

developer candy :))

( Especially if it becomes a more known fact among them. )

1 Like