New at 'Desktop On Fire!"

You are only obliged to include this if you actually use cookies to track users, you can also forego using them, then there is no need to ask for consent.

(That is likely the best way to comply with the general data protection relegation, simply not collecting data that is not neccesary.)

1 Like

Removing trackers and cookies,if they are not technically required (for a login system or something like that) is always the best solution.
I think Wordpress already provides some internal statistics,so there’s no need for an external tracking tool that violates visitors privacy.

Besides that,it would be also very nice if you could replace those Google Fonts (which are also a GDPR violation,by the way) with self-hosted fonts.
There are numerous Wordpress plugins which can automatically do that for you.
Some popular ones are Local Google Fonts – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org or OMGF | GDPR/DSGVO Compliant, Faster Google Fonts. Easy. – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

3 Likes

Great tip, the fonts are now installed locally! Thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s sometime hard to track properly what WP plugins are linked to. One thing I set in a previous job was to set CSP headers (my article in French) to prevent any GDPR liability on that front.

1 Like

Nice website, you have a new RSS-follower :slight_smile:

1 Like

@PulkoMandy, a passionate open-source developer, shares his vision for Haiku, a user-friendly and versatile operating system. He believes that Haiku should focus on small, integrated applications and user interface consistency, rather than a single “killer app.”

https://www.desktoponfire.com/interview/196/lets-interview-pulkomandy/

8 Likes

I think at this point most people here have noted your blog exists, but this forum is not an atom feed. Please don’t post every blog article here.

1 Like

Or maybe have it on single thread ‘What’s new on DoF’?

Personally I don´t mind these posts. This way I don´t have to check the website. I´m lazy :wink:
Thanks @Andrea for what you´re doing for the community :+1:

1 Like

I’m sorry if I sent spam. I shared the interviews because I thought they would be of interest to everyone. If that’s a problem, I’ll stop doing it.

I think it’s OK to have a reminder for new original content of DoF. I’ve moved all previous postings into this new thread. People not interested - or who want the thrill of checking the DoF site for new content every day themselves :slight_smile: - can set this thread to ignore.

6 Likes

I don’t mind the solution humdinger posted here for example. Personally It is very hard to read your blog since it does not support the html5 dark mode (for me that is an accesibility problem).

But i certainly don’t oppose it, it is good to see news about Haiku : )

1 Like

He could change that, and use dark mode!
Or both?

I’m strongly considering switching WordPress themes. The one I’m using has a lot of limitations (I’m learning about them as I use it, unfortunately). The site is for the community, so any advice is appreciated.

3 Likes

There must be an dark mode add-on for it already!
But be careful not to get it too complicated if you still learning!

Since I do not use wordpress I can’t really offer advice there. But i do know how html5 dark mode works if you want advice on that (I made the dark mode for example the haiku api docs, the haiku main site etc)

2 Likes

Dude, it’s great! Keep bringing this quality content. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

6 Likes

PulkoMandy (Adri) said in the interview:

"It is all about small details like drag’n’drop or copy/paste that works reliably and predictably, a “common language” in terms of user interface design (so a button always look like a button and you can “read” an user interface very quickly to understand how to use a piece of software you don’t know yet), standardized keyboard shortcuts, …

…my vision for Haiku does not revolve around a single app, and rather is about how the system makes it easy and convenient to combine many small applications and make them work together…

This is what I hope to see more, but it is a lot of work to achieve such things and it looks like we’re going another direction at the moment."

I still miss the functionality of the BeOs to drag’n’drop files (images) to a small Programm to do its job, enhencement here for the image as an example!
Like you can do sorting with “Filler”, this would make Haiku a place to work with again, and not as an OS for starting a Browser only!

It’s still possible and TAResizer works like that for example. The problem is that most software are ports so they don’t take benefits of specific Haiku features.
Now that we have a nice modern IDE, I hope that more people will develop native apps.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with ports, as long as it’s not just a question of “./configure && make … okay, that’s enough for one day.”

Ideally, that would just be the starting point and from there the porting team would dig into how to make the underlying (QT, GTK …) framework more Haiku-aware. Then the ported apps could in turn be made into real Haiku citizens.

But yeah, I get it. That means a LOT of work. Work that could instead be put into the development of native apps.

1 Like