Name that Firefox port

Oh well, then followed your logic

my Kitsune-type ( :wink: ) tailed beast - Kyubi or its name Kurama - proposed above
( 21th post in this thread )

best fit to this *fox browser for Haiku… :grin:

… as he “settled” in Konohagakure, which means

“Village Hidden in the Leaves” or “Hidden Leaf Village” 8D

He had been there long before the village was founded and was there long time after it was founded.

So the foxy browser under the leaves - aka in Haiku - should be called as

Kyubi or Kurama :smiley:

1 Like

they are soooooooooooooo long names those reminds me some scientific stuff like names in biology or the effective factors in drug pills
which ones still named with some latin words :slight_smile:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Back to litigation as “supercalafragilisticexpiolodocious” is a Disney trademark. They don’t find it amusing if you try to use that word even at a job interview at Disney.

I could go for Kyubi though. 3 syllables and only 5 letters. It’ll hold until the official branding comes through.

Simple HaikuFox sounds good :wink:

2 Likes

Well, it is really just 2 syllabbles - as it is not an english word but japanese, so to pronounce it like the two english letter : Q and B - from alphabet.

Kyu - bi
  Q -  B

So the ‘y’ here is just as in the City name : York,
not as in city name : Kyoto or Tokyo,
or
not as in family name Myers

The emphasis is on the first syllable, so ‘u’ is long - I should have use a
‘u’ with hat on it, but I was lazy.
As we have no such letter in Hungarian, so not on my keyboard. Also last time I could not copy from chararacter map application so I do not probe that lately to help me out. To copy the name from fandom wiki - it launched in my mind just right now. :frowning:

1 Like

I propose my version : Fox

2 Likes

It sounds like a bit stretch. We don’t need to name everything Haiku related in Japanese. It should be simple and approachable, not some uncommon deity name.

No problemo – at least from my side.

It’s some playful, joyful act that bring happiness into daily life for whom can go back to shiny days of their childhood and do some voting , guessing for their imaginary picture(s) held in their heart.
It is innocent and not so bloody serious item some might think - especially it is not finalized or near finalized to worth to name it.
It is/was a game until the mood has/would not broken down by the sober adults here. :j

Anyway, I - or anyone else - can take it as @MrEntropy posted above :slight_smile: :
name it as you think or felt as pleased yourself on your own (or on your desktop).

but anyway - firefox hasnot been compiled yet, but we count chickens before they hatch :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It is compiled, but it is crashing now because the missing EGL support in the Wayland stuff.

4 Likes

sorry meant it crashed because of EGL :expressionless:

WebFoxsitive lol

2 Likes

LOL An anagram of firefox is “ForeFix” (as we fix what’s before the browser, i.e. the OS)

1 Like

How about Mammoth or Snuffleupaugus?

Slow, lumbering, but reliable and powerful.

I’ve been reading Coders At Work by Peter Siebel and it has a great interview with JWZ and some history of Netscape and it’s subsequent open sourcing. Netscape 4 became bloated through the Collabra acquisition - while Netscape 3 already had an email client which was tight and efficient. Mozilla and Firefox were based on the bloated 4.7 or 5 release.

You can locate leaks of the netscape 3.x codebase on github and on archive.org. Too bad Mozilla wasn’t based on 3.x.

Who actually called for giving a name to an non existent browser?
How many Browser does Haiku need?

3 Likes

– Working one ?.. All of them !

– Crashing one ? None of them !

Some native, some small, somne feature rich, some enables working modern sites, some enables to download as none of them, some successfully blocks ads and malwares, some just needed as let’s use in a familiar way just as it was used on another OS … should I continue more ?..
Why just the browsers diverse availability itself bother some of us to speak up against it … time-to-time ?

One and only problem is – regarding ANY browser on Haiku – if it crashes or cause a KDL. Period.

This thread was opened to let’s give a playful space where we can express the child that hopefully still live in us.
I’m so sorry for so many adults here who forgot how was then you had used your imaginary and enlisted with shining eyes to your mates what just came up in your mind on the topic you had discussed …
Please – all of you – don’t close your closet to us - who still had not forgotten this perky feeling.

If it would irritate any of you – I suggest … may remain a wise adult and do as they would do : keep quiet and even noding your had – murmuring only yourself : " Childs !" or “Childish!”

1 Like

How many browsers on Haiku can do everything the typical user needs?

I would say that having Firefox and Chromium running on Haiku is much more important for users of Haiku than any other browser, including WebPositive.

1 Like

Honestly firefox and chromium suck so badly nowadays that it’s kind of moot. I’m quite happy that we actually have webkit with a mostly working browser : )

1 Like

This is an overly subjective and emotional statement. The fact is that Chromium and Firefox are the most used and developed browsers that Haiku can have.

3 Likes