Name Proposal: Haiku Scout.
In the first instance, I suggest reusing Haiku as a name because it was the browser in BeOS (sp. NetPositive) that originally gave rise to the Haiku name. In other words, I suggest that any new name that breaks with that tradition would represent a loss of culture and tradition.
I suggest Scout (a lightweight mobile human) as a descriptive postfix for no less than 7 core reasons.
- We are discussing something that is a tactical extension of Haiku OS and its community. Scouts are tactical.
- Good Scouts and good browsers are lightweight.
- The browser has mobility in so far as it provides each user's experience of the web landscape.
- Scout is an isolated specialist that represents its franchise - as do all web browsers.
- Very importantly: Scouts help to locate and expose information and knowledge, which is precisely what users want from their web browser.
- NetPositive is iconified by a human in front of the Earth and a Scout is a human with an even stronger case for being associated with the entire Earth.
- The project exists due to a community's independent code, it's ideas and vision are the result of independent thinking, and Scouts are somewhat independent too.
In conclusion, Haiku Scout describes clearly the roles, tasks, performance and behaviours of a good hard-working web browser. I hereby humbly submit my suggestion for your serious consideration.
The above was derived from a brainstorm in which many names were found. However, I felt Scout was both more personifying and more elegant than most others. It's also easy to represent visually.
It is a respectable unclaimed and potential trademark. However, there is one similar name in common use. Explorer and Scout would have to face-up to each other and that's OK.
In terms of naming, Scout beats Explorer. As heroic as explorers have been in the history of mankind, scouts are more often associated with military action and tactical maneuvering. In other words, scouting is more deterministic than exploring! In UK terminology, scouts can be junior to explorers. However, that is also beneficial because junior translates into younger, faster, and (if female) sexier. Finally, scouts report back to their user with regular updates whereas explorers can just disappear.