Name Suggestion for native Haiku Web Browser

+1 Surfboard

No, I meant Saki :wink:

That makes no sense…

It doesn’t have to make sense. It’s a name :slight_smile:

What you know as “rice wine” in Japanese is “sake” not “saki”.

Anyway, all you guys still suggesting names, don’t you know that the name has already been decided and that the browser is called WebPositive?

Yes I know that. But I like Saki not Sake, I don’t care that the spelling is incorrect. For instance the correct spelling of “color” is in fact “colour” and “realize” is in fact “realise”. WebPositive sounds like something your doctor would diagnose you as having from too many late nights on line. “I’m sorry but it’s bad news, you are WebPositive, and there’s nothing we can do…” Why another browser anyway? Why not just stick with the BeZilla one? Is it a Haiku version of NetPositive? If so then I guess it makes sense.

WebPositive is a native Webkit browser, which is much faster and better intergrated than BeZilla Browser. You should try it yourself :wink:

Ok, I will give it try. Will it be included in the first release?

WebPositive will be in the second alpha, BeZillaBrowser on the other hand probably will not.

Anyway Have a look at this topic from the mailing list for more info:

Actually no, it depends on where you live. “color” is correct in the United States, whereas “colour” is correct in Canada and the UK. “realize” is correct the US and Canada. “yogourt” is correct in Canada. And besides, you can’t compare English spelling to Japanese. Japanese has a phonetic system, and even changing a single letter changes the pronunciation and, in this case, even the meaning, completely.

Exactly and where I live Sake is spelled Saki. Actually no it’s not :wink: but I chose to spell it that way because it uses the ak and i from Haiku. I thought it was pretty cool. Saki, the brewser…

Well you might as well use Haikyo (Ruin), but that doesn’t make it a good name. Choosing a Japanese name while ignoring its meaning will just make you look like a “stupid foreigner”, and we have lots of those already.

The problem here is that this is all subjective. I like the word Saki, as a name. A name can be spelled anyway you like. It has absolutely no meaning. Meaning is context. Firefox doesn’t mean anything, it’s the name of a browser. If you started using it to describe something else then it’s meaning becomes something different again. This is just how language evolves. And why colour is now color and why realize used to be realise and why something described as sick means something is good; at least if you are my teenage son that is. I’m sorry but that’s the way it is for me.

This is all from a European perspective, where names are “just names”. This isn’t the case in Japan; even personal names are chosen based on meaning. So if you’re going to use a Japanese name and even include cultural references, then this doesn’t work.

I have to disagree with you once again, it does work. Words are taken from one language to another all the time. Pig is an old english word for a pig. Pork is the french word for a pig. Why don’t we use pig to describe the meat we eat? Because someone somewhere started using pork instead and it caught on and the meaning changed. I took the word Sake “rice wine” changed it’s spelling to Saki and voila a new word is now in existance. It has no meaning until people start using it in the context of something else. This is the English language at work. Saki is not a Japanese word anymore, it’s English and has no meaning yet. Actually I might start using it as a word to describe something as amazing. Such as, “I had a saki night last night”, “That was saki” or “The new broswer for Haiku is saki” etc.

HAIMON: Variant of Greek Haemon, meaning “bloody.”

How about “WebBrowser” or just “Web”?

Uh, this thread was closed 6 years ago. We are not changing the name again.