Name Suggestion for native Haiku Web Browser

… it must be simple, direct, be associated with the net and its experience, better yet still if free of language obstacle.

:slight_smile: >

That is. Call it “SmileGo” (with the “Go” in light accent), meaning sit down, smile, and go. (Alas, language barrier again.)

…zeppelin…webthunder…webspider…netsurf…
…haikunet…haikuweb…weblight…haikutravel…
…webrally…haikuroad…webstar…haikustar…
…netark…webark…netshark…nethorse…etc

Foreshore

a nice place where you can relax, play and learn

“Athena” as the Athena in “Athena and Arachne” of the weaving contest in the Greek myth, if it is well deserved and not too self-boosting.

and

http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/mmarassa/mythology/arachne.html

When suggesting Kimono, I didn’t mean to specifically advocate a Japanese naming convention. It just followed on from Silk while thinking of Haiku.

Whatever the eventual name, I suggest that it be examined as a prefix for “browser”, as that is likely how it may be mentioned upon review. The “Tranquillity browser” is certainly evocative, but do consider that it may sound a bit metaphysical. I shudder to think what a “silk browser” might be mistaken for. Some odd clothier’s apparatus? Or worse yet, a fetishist?

Google sort of nullifies this issue by prefixing so many of their apps with “Google”. By the time we’ve said “Google Chrome”, we can’t be bothered to say browser. Neither, it seems, can the press. Look around. It happens, but not all that often.

Well for one we’d have to come up with a name not already used …

Like already pointed out Voyager is QNX’s browser and we can’t use NetSurf as that’s the OSS for RISC-OS/Unix and has been ported to Haiku. I do like the idea of still being able to use the old surfing icon though. Kumo is what Microsoft is using for their new search initiative.

Means to travel to WWW.

traveler

+1 I like it. It sounds cool and its simple.

How about “stealing” the name NetOptimst? Couldn’t someone contact the original developer and ask permission to use the name?

Hmmm…
I think Kimono suits perfectly. “KimonoWeb”.
But, if you want other suggestion, “Bitstream” is a cool name

Verse.

Meaning “a line of poetry”, and part of the word “universe”. Simple, easy to remember (<-- very important), and easy to say (<-- also very important). I like Tranquillity, but it really doesn’t roll off the tongue.

Tranquillity is defined as “a state of peacefulness; quiet and serene.” Maybe Web 1.0 was tranquil, but that’s not how I’d describe it now and probably even less so in the future. But hey, if you’re coding it, then go for what you like.

[quote=carboncanyon]Verse.

Meaning “a line of poetry”, and part of the word “universe”. Simple, easy to remember (<-- very important), and easy to say (<-- also very important). I like Tranquillity, but it really doesn’t roll off the tongue.[/quote]

Verse isn’t bad, and I agree Tranquility does not roll off the tongue.

The name Tranquility was really more about what I hoped the browser experience to be, not necessarily about the web itself.

Though the name Tranquility is starting to lose it’s luster, and at this point I don’t care as much about the name as just coding the damn thing. Maybe once it is further along the name can be thought about some more. I may continue to use Tranquility as a code name, whether or not it becomes the final name.

In the meantime keep on coming up with ideas.

I like “Verse”. Or maybe “Stanza”.

The Z might give it zazz!

Oof! Maybe not. I just found an iPhone app called Stanza.

Read the whole Suggestions and then try to recall them.

Easy to recall:
Silk, Kimono, KeyGo, Haiku Browser, HB, Haigo, Helium, Hay, Sushi, Surimi, Tiku, Tifu…

Difficult to recall:
Tranguilty, Serenity, Tranquilo, Webvoyager, passenger, explosives, crash…

Try it with a person who is not aware of Haiku and you will get much better results.

I like the Japanese names…
I dont like the ones with Web*** or ++ or H

Tofu (hehe)

I registered an account just to post that “Publicity” is the best name for a browser I’ve heard since Safari (which is itself the best name since Mosaic). I do not particularly like the names Firefox, Chrome, Explorer, Voyager, Navigator, Omniweb, etc. But anything about poetry, japanese, or surfing is worse, and compound words with a capitalized letter in the middle is the worst of all! And Tranquility or Serenity are names I’d give to programs that BLOCKED you from going on the web…

edit: hm, just “City” wouldn’t be bad either

Dear haikuers, Ryan, community.

Lots of good suggestions here, that’s for sure. Obviosly a lot of people have given this a good deal of thought. I am therefore a bit embarassed to have stumbled upon the correct answer to the question without applying myself much at all. I was just struck by it when I read this thread. In other words; I know what the name is.

Before I divulge the secret, I would like to make a few observations:

A lot of people have suggested Japanese words. Most of which I have never heard before. Although Haiku is a Japanese word, I don’t think we want to make Haiku a Japanese OS. Personally, I am very attracted to Japanese culture. But Haiku should not become an OS for orientalists. I agree with the comment from the Japanese gentleman, that “haiku” probably should be the only Japanese word in Haiku. Haiku should be international.

The really great thing about the word “Haiku” is that it is known all over the world. It’s not simply a Japanese word. It has a reference in Norwegian dictionaries, for instance. It’s something that a national culture has given to the international community. That’s why it’s such a good name!

It also has a bit of a “geek” feel to it, I think. But that might be just a “Be” thing. It certainly pays hommage to the original BeOS. But I have a feeling that the Be guys chose to make Net+ error messages haikus - because that was really geeky in the first place. Anyone knows?

There may be more words like this. Words that don’t have to be translated. (Safari is such a word, I think, but it’s taken.)From my own national culture, “Viking” and “Troll” are words that are widely known. Not that I’m suggesting the browser should be named “Troll”! (“Viking” could actually work, they were great navigators, but I’m not suggesting that either.)

But “Tranquility”? No. I’m sorry. Its meaning is something agreeable, but I would have to look it up in the dictionary, because I’m not English… British… American… Native Anglish Speaking…

Actually, finding genuinly English words that have that quality could prove to be difficult - because of English being the “lingua franca”.

So - the name for the browser? (Ra-tatt-ta-tah!) It’s “Mir”.
It’s the name of the first real multinational space station. (space-cyberspace?)
It means “world”, “village” and “Peace”.
It’s in Russian, but it’s widely known.
It’s geeky!

I rest my case.

Klapaucius

Edit: Oh! And it would make a great icon too!

Klapaucius

[quote=Klapaucius]
So - the name for the browser? (Ra-tatt-ta-tah!) It’s “Mir”.
It’s the name of the first real multinational space station. (space-cyberspace?)
It means “world”, “village” and “Peace”.
It’s in Russian, but it’s widely known.
It’s geeky!

I rest my case.

Klapaucius

Edit: Oh! And it would make a great icon too!

Klapaucius[/quote]

I like your approach. And I like your proposal, and not only because I am a Russian ;), it is also very capacious word.
/me vote for name “Mir”.

Funny: I had to look up “capacious”.
I wonder about the meanings of “mir”…
Is “community” and “fellowship” also amongst the interpretations?
Glad that I have someone who agree with me.
Let’s see what others say…