Name Suggestion for native Haiku Web Browser

NETIZEN.

Simple. Short. New. Bold. Descriptive. Encompassing. Clever. Easy to type and say.

Sort of like naming the OS Haiku.

I like Serenity also. We can do worse than promote peace, poetry, love, and knowledge.

Similar in theme to Ubuntu & Haiku are the following…

Netizen
Serenity
Sonnet

Play on Words type names in the BeOS style…

NetGain
NetPoetic (the poster’s suggestion)
NetPositive

BeLyrical
BePoetic
BePositive
BeBop

nevermind :slight_smile:

[quote=kvdman]H+

Haiku abbreviated with a positive… explosive and powerful; like hydrogen.[/quote]

Or Helium, abbreviated as He, also stands for Haiku explorer (but pronounced Helium). Another alternative will be He-3, Helium 3, the light, non-radioactive isotope of helium proposed to be used as a second-generation fusion power source, but also stands for a 3 (free) Haiku explorer, but I foresee the trouble that comes with the successive version code: He-3v1, He-3v2…?

I like:

WebKu
NetKu
Kimono
Wanderer
H+ as above :smiley:
Syllable

Simply Hai or Hai! would be cute.

It´s japanese, meaning “yes”, sounds like "Hi!"
is short enough for anyone, and obviously the
most important application in all of Haiku.

Wallaby - please cuddle!
Herb - surely not tea leaves!
Tazer - yes, you may need one online

(seriously unserious suggestions, in case it´s not utterly clear)

I suggest :
SilkU
pronounce “Silk” “You”

[quote=Ryan]Well it turned out while browsing the list I saw an English word that I liked a lot. I think it is a good name that is classy, unique, and evocative the Haiku user experience we want: Tranquility.

It also happens to be the same number of letters and syllables as NetPositive, so you can’t complain it is too long :)[/quote]

I personally do not like Tranquility to much … the word is to close to tranquilizer, which is a actually a group name for certain types of (prescription) drugs. See Tranquilizers

I would still vote for WebPositive for obvious reasons known to those who know me :wink:

Cheers,
Rossi

in brazilian portuguese this word sounds like “your asshole” :frowning:

[quote=Ravendon]I like Serenity also. We can do worse than promote peace, poetry, love, and knowledge.

…
[/quote]

Another vote for “Serenity”

• it’s simple
  • it’s pretty
  • it refers to something you can find in a Haiku (the poem)

A endebbed Haiku (the OS) application should refer to nature (trees, flowers, seas, etc), seasons, poetry or knowledge more than simply something Japanese or technical.

But, if we must come to a technical name, my choice is “NetBee”, which is cool for obvious reasons : a bee, well, you can imagine… and “Be”, well, you know… :slight_smile:

That is pretty simple: both words come from the same latin root, tranquillus, which means calm. Tranquilizers are meant to calm people, and tranquility is the state of being calm. I don’t think it is a big deal.

Serenity is a synonym to tranquility, and while not a bad name, it was also a movie a few years ago. While I really enjoyed the movie and the TV show it came from (Firefly), I would prefer not to use that name.

While I do appreciate all the suggestions here, and there have been several good ones, I am pretty set on the name Tranquility. As the primary developer, I think I get first priority in naming my software :slight_smile:

Though anyone who makes a major code contribution during its development certainly will have a say as well. And maybe for some reason Tranquility will turn out to be an unusable name (Firefox had two previous names before that name was kept, Phoenix and Firebird.) If that happens I will certainly revisit this thread and look at all the names again.

what about Sakura it is the Japanese name for cherry trees and their blossoms
there is more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_blossom

Give it up, Ryan. You won’t stop this thread. :slight_smile:

At least the suggestions give any developer an inspiration if he wants to name any app anything. That’s the bright side of generic names. I prefer to have an at least hinted connection to the type of app, but that’s just me. In the end it’s the usability of the app that counts. When’s the beta coming out, Ryan? :wink:

How about the word “Meme”, as in “an internet meme”!!!

It would go well with the word haiku…

My proposal:

-Tanuki, the racoon dog, is used to trick humans using a leaf

-SurfBird, but I prefer its Italian vulgar name ,“Piro-Piro”, it sounds so japanese

[quote=gif]Surfer would be really cool. The name has to communicate the function, has to sound cool, easy to remember (and therefore the name has to be bound to the function too), and as plain as possible. A simple word, nothing else.
Personally I don’t prefer the Web or Net prefix, it’s already overused, and makes the product sound unprofessional, so from a marketing viewpoint, I highly recommend to drop that idea.

[/quote]

While a Haiku needs not be poetic, and a senryu is surely not, would a “Moon Night Surfer” or “Moon light Surfer”, with the purity, clarity, lightness, tranquility and tenderness of the moon night add to the enjoyment when one tries to catch the wave.

Like IE, the Moonlight Surfer could be abbreviated to “CS”, with the “C” shaping like the moon and carrying its connotation of GCC.

That is kind of poetic. +1 :slight_smile:

I really like the thought put into this, but I see a few problems. Firstly, Moon light Surfer is a very long name. I may be too biased here, but if someone told me to go download some software called “Moon light Surfer” I would be a bit hesitant. (I know being native, this wouldn’t need ot be downloaded, but still…) As for the name, the CS once again works theoretically, but the C really has nothing to do with the moon other than its shape. If “Moon” started with a “C” then it would be perfect. But I think “CS” representing “Moon light Surfer” would cause confusion. I know this all sounds a bit harsh, but I promise that’s not my intent.

As for the whole Net- and Web- names, I feel they’re a bit… Cliche. They’re used way too much. While this isn’t always a bad thing, it sounds like something my grandmother would be looking for. Like I said, not bad, but certainly not “trendy”. Haiku goes by a very crisp, clean, refreshing feel. I feel something like NetVoyager just doesn’t fit.

I’d like to compromise a bit in these two I’ve mentioned. Firstly, Moonlight Surfer. I like the thought put into its name, I just think that in the end, it looks clunky. So, keeping the theme but changing the name, I’m thinking something along the lines of Luna (Latin for moon). It’s clean, simple, and people will remember it. As for the NetVoyager… I understand the nostalgia value there, but if this is going to be successful out of its niche, most people aren’t going to recognize the “NetPositive” reference. Just “Voyager” would be better, in my mind.

Tranquility is very good. I also like Kumo (Or “Haikumo” in my mind…) Now, for my own ideas…

• Prose instead of NetProse (could be Prose+ for the reference, but I don’t know about the “PP” abbreviation that might spawn)
  • Along with the Latin theme, I was thinking Terra (World)
  • There’s always “Haiway” a la “Highway/Information Super-highway”
  • Eternity / NEternity

Then again, we could always go with “NetNegative”, “Deodorant”, or “Spatula”. But I suggest you take my other options more seriously.

My proposal:

• Cosmos
  • World (or The World)
  • Nature
  • Buro
  • Galaxy

Sorry if repeated.