My Telegram account was banned after signing in on Haiku

https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/add-ons/media/media-add-ons/usb_webcam

1 Like

The driver works with some specific, old, non-standard webcams, but doesn’t work with modern ones which follow a common standard from the USB spec (called UVC).

iirc, usb isosynchronous transfer’s were a problem for the gsoc project at the time

1 Like

The problem has been solved now. It’s been 10 years since that GSoC project and things have moved on.

be possible to port the uvc usb linix or freebsd driver ???

Here was something about WebCam’s + Linux (Ubuntu)…
Webcam › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de

Yes, but why would you do that? We have a driver that’s 99% complete and just needs some bugfixes. Fixing that should be easier than porting another driver that will need massive code changes to be adjusted to our USB stack and driver model.

5 Likes

Quick note, if you click “help” on the window from Telegram saying your account was banned, it’ll create an email that will send something to telegram at a weird email address. Go ahead and send it without modifications and they usually unban pretty quickly. I use Telegram on Haiku pretty often.

1 Like

i had no idea the driver was the close, is there anything I can do to assist ?

Just got banned from Telegram for having used the Haiku client for 5mins.
I gave them a small message telling them about it and asking to get unbanned.
How long does it take?

I had the same issue. Usually in 24 hours you get your account unlocked.

1 Like

Thanks.
Do I have to give them details? or just something like “I tried to use the haiku client and got banned in minutes” enough for the job?
And when they unban me, would it be safe to use that client again?

Again, thank you for the answer.

Yes, they don’t ask too many questions. I basically said them that “I got my account blocked when trying to use Telegram on Haiku” and they answer me quickly that my account wad unlocked.

Unfortunatelly, I don’t get more information from them about the source of the problem.

1 Like

Thank you, I needed to know that :+1:

They gave me back my account now. I think that I will stick to the web version on haiku

1 Like

Why? Now it works, and most of us had never problems with Telegram. But yes, your decision!

I don’t want to risk getting banned again as it seems to be some kind of bug or something.

Yes, it works it’s not worth the time that I might have to waste waiting for them to unban me if it happens again.

I think we should contact Telegram and get to the bottom of this (i.e. fixing the issue of people on Haiku getting banned). I had a look on their website, and it seems you have to contact Telegram via Telegram, which means someone with a Telegram account will have to get into contact with them.

1 Like

You can do it, you are from the promotion team :+1:

4 Likes

It just happened to me now too. Is there any update or information about the Telegram ban bug?